• Directed By:
    Kathryn Bigelow
    In Theaters:
    Jan 11, 2013 Wide
    On DVD:
    Mar 19, 2013
  • Columbia Pictures

Real shot at 100%

If there was ever a movie to come out within the past 5 years that has a realistic shot at 100% of critics giving it a positive review, this is the movie. I'm sure there will be a couple debbie downers who give it a rotten for some made up reason, but one can hope not.
Cory German
12-11-2012 03:22 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Vendetta11

Nate Jacobsen

LOL! Good ol' Rex Reed strikes again.............

Dec 19 - 06:58 AM

Marc H.

Marc Hochman

I don't think it's posted here yet but the review on forbes.com by Mark Hughes is the most interesting one I've read so far (and I've read them all). Do yourself a favor .. http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2012/12/18/zero-dark-thirty/

Dec 18 - 12:19 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Dude. 9/10, 98% with 41 critics. Let's go!!!

Dec 17 - 06:05 PM

All-Knowing Panda

Trading Card Panda

The percentage doesn't matter once it reaches a certain point.

For example the last Harry Potter movie had a higher percentage than The Lord of the Rings (except the average Harry Potter movie didn't), does that mean a (good) summer blockbuster movie was better than an Oscar winning classic trilogy?

The exact percentage doesn't matter, just the range it is in.

Dec 17 - 06:02 AM

Branden Lucero

Branden Lucero

oh no, this movie didn't get a 100%. what shall we do? cry? get mad? seriously......its just a f*ckin' movie. get over it.

Dec 16 - 05:47 PM

Luigi Garcia

Luigi Garcia

Movie had a shot at 100%.....and now it's gone.

Dec 16 - 04:04 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

So much for that. First rotten review, complaining about no moral stance being taken about the torture in the film.

Dec 14 - 11:00 AM

Facebook User

Facebook User

I have no problem with people giving negative reviews to movies that are overwhelmingly positive, as long as it explains why. This review really doesn't, other than he doesn't like (and finds it amortal) that torture is shown to have worked for this case.

It would be like someone not liking the Batman movies on the SOLE basis that they think vigilante justice is amoral. Seems kind of dumb

Dec 14 - 11:19 AM

Thirza Daniel

Thirza Daniel

I agree.

Dec 14 - 11:32 AM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

I thought it was pretty clear why the reviewer gave it a negative review (whether or not you disagree with it is another point).

The amoral nature of the movie has been brought up by other critics as well.

Dec 17 - 12:58 PM

Marc H.

Marc Hochman

Apparently some people can watch the movie and still maintain their morality, while most of the rest of us need to be spoonfed a moral stance.

Dec 14 - 11:28 AM

Francesco F.

Francesco Fortuna

Not to sound like a dick but, are you new here? No movie will ever get a 100% with assholes like Cole Smithey, Rex Reed, and those turds from Slant Magazine. Thankfully Armond white is no longer on this site. The people that I mentioned aren't as bad but, they come close.

Dec 12 - 08:57 AM

Curtis McParland

Curtis McParland

Cole Smithey's review was fresh...I was shocked.

Dec 13 - 04:22 PM

Curtis McParland

Curtis McParland

Slant Magazine is fresh too...just checked lol.

Dec 13 - 04:27 PM

Francesco F.

Francesco Fortuna

DAMMIT!

Dec 13 - 07:17 PM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

If there was ever a shot it was A Separation if it weren't for that one asshole who didn't like it.

Dec 12 - 05:11 AM

hansolo64

Yodaman Solo

I know! What a douche! lol. I have a feeling that there will be a critic somewhere that will not like ZDT either. There is always someone. Thats said, who cares.

Dec 12 - 06:10 AM

Seb M

Seb Moore

I think it's more impressive if it has an ave rating of 9/10 than staying on 100%

Dec 11 - 11:43 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I'd agree it'd be an accomplishment, but it's not really that important if a film gets 100% or not, I can name several movies that were better than Toy Story 3, but most of the settled around the early to late 90s, it's only a few percents off anyway it's not a big deal, i'm sure the film will be in the mid high 90s anyway. The lowest possible rating I'm predicting at the moment is 91%. Even if the film is considered one of the greatest films of all time, it's more than possible that one critic could toss in a bad review. Look at Roger Ebert's review for Once Upon a Time in the West, or Vincent Canby's review for the Godfather II.

Dec 11 - 05:01 PM

Cory German

Cory German

Yeah, it will certainly carry a 100% in the top critic section. And the average review scores will be at least 9/10. Certainly the highest rated wide release mainstream movie of 2012.

Dec 11 - 05:20 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

"... it's not really that important if a film gets 100% or not"

Agreed. After a certain threshold, the exact number doesn't really matter all too much.

Dec 11 - 07:04 PM

Marc H.

Marc Hochman

It will be funny to see what the inevitable negative review(s) say. I have a contrarian streak but the reviews for this are not only positive down the line - they're effusive.

Dec 11 - 05:00 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I could possibly see a critic or two giving it a bad review for gore or shock factor though. I've been hearing that the torture scene's in this movie are kind of graphic. Extremely violent scene's in movies traditionally speaking usually cause a small handful of critics to give a movie a bad review.

Dec 11 - 05:11 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Haha, the closest movie to have the realistic potential at reaching 100% in last five years (if we limit this discussion to wide-release films and non-documentaries) was Toy Story 3, and even that got 3 negative reviews.

It'll be interesting to see if this finishes with 98% or 99%, which would still be a grand accomplishment.

Dec 11 - 04:52 PM

Cory German

Cory German

At least Mr. White is gone though. Yeah, I see a total in the high 90's. At least that of Hurt Locker. And many critics have referenced ZD30 as "blowing Hurt Locker out the water," which is a crazy thought given the success of it.

Dec 11 - 05:18 PM

Christopher J.

Christopher Jones

I'm hoping the "blowing Hurt Locker out the water" is true because I wasn't all that impressed with Hurt Locker. Sure it was a good movie but Best Picture? please!

Dec 12 - 04:28 AM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

Yes it was Best Picture. In fact I'm not sure a better movie has been made since. Nothing is going to blow The Hurt Locker out of the water. Whether on thinks Zero Dark Thirty is better or not as good is a matter of taste.

Dec 14 - 10:58 AM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile