• Directed By:
    Kathryn Bigelow
    In Theaters:
    Jan 11, 2013 Wide
    On DVD:
    Mar 19, 2013
  • Columbia Pictures

Quickly boiling down to a one-horse race

a couple of weeks ago the oscar race was crowded and tight, many films of equal quality and popularity vying for the front-runner position. after the second trailer came out, ZDT was definitely the film i labeled as the dark horse. the film has now been flooded with praise. awards and 5 star reviews coming from all directions. the only other film that i considered as a best pic contender at that point was les miserables. but now that the reviews are in for les mis, which are somewhat mixed, i think the prospects of an exciting race have been deflated by ZDT's tremendous reception. silver linings playbook, lincoln, argo and life of pi. the race was initially a struggle between these 4 films of similar reception. early predictions were safe: Argo was on everyones lips. i never thought argo would win, let alone should win. theres always one film that comes along late that ruffles the feathers. if it was up to me, the race would boil down to ZDT and The Master, but divisive films never win, which is why The Master and PTA wont be recognized.

anyway, what do you guys think? is ZDT the undistiputed frontrunner, or does Les Mis or Lincoln still have a chance?
Seb M
12-12-2012 08:48 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Austin Landry

Austin Landry

Not that they really matter, but here're my two cents' worth in main-category predictions (possible upsets in parentheses):

Picture: Zero Dark Thirty (Argo, Lincoln)
Director: Bigelow (Affleck, Spielberg, Lee)
O. Screenplay: Zero Dark Thirty (Django Unchained)
A. Screenplay: Lincoln (Argo)

Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis (Bradley Cooper) Dark Horse/Snub: Richard Gere for Arbitrage
Actress: Jessica Chastain (Jennifer Lawrence)
S. Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman (Cristoph Waltz, Tommy Lee Jones)
S. Actress: Anne Hathaway (a fairly unlikely upset would come only from Sally Field)

And then I've no idea about any of the other categories... too subjective.

Dec 14 - 12:24 PM

Austin Landry

Austin Landry

Not that they really matter, but two cents' worth in predictions (possible upsets in parentheses):

Picture: Zero Dark Thirty (Argo, Lincoln)
Director: Bigelow (Affleck, Spielberg, Lee)
O. Screenplay: Zero Dark Thirty (Django Unchained)
A. Screenplay: Lincoln (Argo)

Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis (Bradley Cooper) Dark Horse/Snub: Richard Gere for Arbitrage
Actress: Jessica Chastain (Jennifer Lawrence)
S. Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman (Cristoph Waltz, Tommy Lee Jones)
S. Actress: Anne Hathaway (a fairly unlikely upset would come only from Sally Field)

And then I've no idea about any of the other categories... too subjective.

Dec 14 - 12:22 PM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

Main competition is Argo, but it's hard to see that winning over ZDT.

Dec 13 - 11:42 AM

Andrew Targaryen

Andrew Targaryen

This will take Best Actress, some technicals, and possibly Director/Picture.

Dec 13 - 05:33 AM

Chris D.

Chris Ducat

The movie hasn't even been released and we're making Oscar predictions? /facepalm

Dec 13 - 06:28 AM

Andrew Targaryen

Andrew Targaryen

We can get basic ideas from critic reviews. We'll obviously change our opinions after it's release.

Dec 13 - 12:55 PM

Justin LeClair

Justin LeClair

I think this will probably take it for Best Picture, although I can see Argo contending for Best Picture and for Best Director. Daniel Day-Lewis is definitely my choice for Best Actor. I must say though that Lincoln overall, having just been studying US History and the Civil War right as it came out, didn't really do it for me tbh. There were parts in it that to me were not that effective at all, while others were very well done. Just wasn't a complete movie to me. Day-Lewis was amazing though.

Dec 12 - 09:27 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

Although if Django Unchained is as great as I think it will be, it will probably have a decent shot at taking best Screenplay. Tarantino may finally win Best Director this time. I think he was cheated loosing to Bigelow last time, although I think Bigelow has shown allot more promise with this movie. Still Tarantino has been snubbed so many times by the Academy for films that he should have won Awards for that I think Tarantino has a very good chance of getting the Best Director Oscar this year. I don't think any of his films will get Best Picture ever though, they're to outside of the the Academy's comfort zone, Scorcese after all only won an Oscar after the Departed, and even then it was just a Best Director Oscar, not a Best Picture.

Dec 12 - 09:18 PM

Seb M

Seb Moore

Tarantino and PTA will always be snubbed by the Oscars. but it doesnt really matter because we all know they're the best. kubrick never won an oscar

Dec 12 - 11:08 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

by PTA i'm guessing you mean Paul Thomas Anderson? he's a great director as well, but I think he came very close to winning an Oscar with There Will Be blood, even though I wouldn't consider it his best movie. You also have a point about Kubrick never winning an Oscar. The same could be said for Sergio Leone I suppose.

Dec 13 - 10:47 AM

Seb M

Seb Moore

Yeah, Paul Thomas Anderson

Dec 13 - 04:45 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

Although if Django Unchained is as great as I think it will be, it will probably has a decent shot at taking best Screenplay. Tarantino may finally win Best Director this time. I think he was cheated loosing to Bigelow last time, although I think Bigelow has shown allot more promise with this movie. Still Tarantino has been snubbed so many times by the Academy for films that he should have won Awards for that I think Tarantino has a very good chance of getting the Best Director Oscar this year. I don't think any of his films will get Best Picture ever though, they're to outside of the the Academy's comfort zone, Scorcese after all only won an Oscar after the Departed, and even then it was just a Best Director Oscar, not a Best Picture.

Dec 12 - 09:18 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

Although if Django Unchained is as great as I think it will be, it will probably has a decent shot at taking best Screenplay. Tarantino, may finally win Best Director this time. I think he was cheated loosing to Bigalow last time, although I think Bigalow has shown allot more promise with this movie. Still Tarantino has been snubbed so many times by the Academy for films that he should have won Awards for that I think Tarantino has a very good chance of getting the Best Director Oscar this year. I don't think any of his films will get Best Picture ever though, they're to outside of the the Academy's comfort zone, Scorcese after all only won an Oscar after the Departed, and even then it was just a Best Director Oscar, not a Best Picture.

Dec 12 - 09:17 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I think based off the reviews Zero Dark 30 is definitely the frontrunner, I wouldn't at all be surprised though to see Skyfall and the Dark Knight Rises win a few Oscars, especially in the area, of costume design, cinematography, Best supporting actor, sound, but I'm guessing best Director/Screenplay and picture will be reserved for ZDT.

Dec 12 - 09:11 PM

Seb M

Seb Moore

i also think chastain will take best actress. jennifer lawrence was great in SLP, but all the momentum is with ZDT

Dec 12 - 09:33 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I think based off the reviews Zero Dark 30 is definitely the frontrunner, I would be surprised to see Skyfall and the Dark Knight Rises win a few Oscars, especially in the area, of costume design, cinematography, Best supporting actor, sound, but I'm guessing best Director/Screenplay and picture will be reserved for ZDT.

Dec 12 - 09:11 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile