• Directed By:
    Kathryn Bigelow
    In Theaters:
    Jan 11, 2013 Wide
    On DVD:
    Mar 19, 2013
  • Columbia Pictures

borderline fascist

One prominent reviewer described this as a borderline facist film, yet his review was given a tomato. How so?
Mike R R
12-13-2012 06:30 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Isaac Rounseville

Isaac Rounseville

He's probably just referring to those subtle nationalist undertones that come along with a motion picture that further celebrates the death of an international terrorist, yet forgets to mention the fact that we were pushed straight into fighting two massive overseas wars, justifying torture, and creating an unaccountable surveillance state....

Dec 13 - 07:43 PM

hansolo64

Yodaman Solo

Fascism
Fascism ( /?fæ?ɪz?m/) is a form of radical authoritarian nationalism. Fascists seek to unify their nation through a totalitarian state that seeks the mass mobilization of the national community through discipline, indoctrination, and physical training. Fascism utilizes a vanguard party to initiate a revolution to organize the nation upon fascist principles. The fascist party and state is led by a supreme leader who exercises a dictatorship over the party, the government and other state institutions. Fascism views direct action including political violence and war, as a means to achieve national rejuvenation, spirit and vitality.

Well, by that definition I think I know what the reviewer is talking about. I'm not an expert at these things but the premise of the film is that this is the biggest manhunt in history. For someone who did extraordinary harm to the U.S. so the purpose is to hunt him down and kill him for revenge. This supposedly will unite everyone and make everyone feel great and vindicated and also feel that justice was done. Then again I could be talking out of my ass. lol

Dec 13 - 12:28 PM

Nuschler

Helen O Kekai

Well as a matter of fact you ARE talking out of your ass.
If you actually read the CIAs REAL interpretation of the assassination of UBL (Osama bin Laden) NO information was gathered by torture. NONE! It is terribly incorrect information in this film. Read Peter Bergen's book "Manhunt." It describes how ten years of CIA operatives were able to locate the "courier" the man responsible for getting messages to UBL from his lieutenants. He couldn't use the mail or the Internet.
Maybe the writers and directors thought that we would like to think that torture got us information...but it never did.

Dec 21 - 11:19 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile