Weekly Ketchup: Oscar Nominations Reveal Snubs and Controversy

Summary

This week's Ketchup actually represents a full three weeks since the last true Weekly Ketchup was published on December 21, 2012. Even so, most of these stories actually did happen in the last seven days, because the period before and after Christmas and New Year's is a time when Hollywood is basically a ghost town as far as movie development goes. Included in the mix are stories involving Tina Fey, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Brad Pitt, and directors Wes Anderson, Christopher Nolan, and Robert Rodriguez. Back to Article

Comments

Steven Hoover

Steven Hoover

I always thought that Ben Affleck not getting a nomination for Argo just meant that I really wanted him to win so much that it could possibly mean that I'm just too much of a fan for him and that I would never accept the truth. Seeing every single Oscar news post regarding the first 'bad thing about it' is him not getting a directing nomination may proof that I am not completely crazy about it as I think.

Jan 11 - 06:02 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

The most sickening Best Actress Nomination is Naomi Watts . . . over Two Hundred Thousand people of non-European descent die during the tsunami and film industry chooses a white chick to represent the disaster. Cinematic Racism is still glaringly apparent.

Jan 12 - 11:09 AM

Ryan Romania

Ryan Romania

And that means that she wasn't great in the movie??

Jan 12 - 12:15 PM

Mark Conroy

Mark Conroy

Ye I Mean, the movie was a about a miraculous true story of this one family which was incredible. Its a movie about this family and regardless of what you think she was very good in the film

Jan 12 - 03:04 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Okay, as far as the age thing, the Academy screwed themselves by getting rid of the Best Juvenile Performance Oscar decades ago: among the winners include Claude Jarman, Jr. (for THE YEARLING) and Hayley Mills as POLLYANNA. I'm not sure whose bright idea was to remove that award, but maybe they should reinstate it if they are going to bitch and complain about the ages of the nominees. Personally, I thought Wallis was so amazing in BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD and would love to see her win, however the clear favorite is Jessica Chastain (why couldn't it be for a different movie?).

As for the rest of the stories, I could give a frog's fat ass about any of them, particularly the SIN CITY prequel, as I wasn't a fan of the original, as a lot of men were. Hey, I like boobs, but I actually got bored with the original, a clear case of style over substance. In any case, RIP David R. Ellis: loved that cameo you had in 1977's HEROES along side another famous director, John Cassavettes.

Jan 11 - 06:26 PM

Andrew Henderson

Andrew Henderson

No, just a clear case of you being a bitch.

Jan 11 - 09:40 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

NEWS FLASH: People have different opinions, asshole, so fucking deal with it BIYATCH!

Jan 11 - 09:50 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Get used to it. It is all he is good at being.

Jan 13 - 01:26 AM

Jack Treese

Jack Treese

Very well said Mick. And you are free to opinion, regardless of what closed-minded individuals would have you think. When I hear of the age controversy, all I can think is that theother nominees are jealous that the girl may have just as good a chance at winning as the others. They should reinstate the Best Juvenile Performance awards.

Jan 18 - 10:07 AM

Josh H.

Josh Hanssen

I'm more disappointed by The Master getting snubbed (with the exception of Joaquin Phoenix's nomination).

Jan 11 - 06:39 PM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

well, christopher nolan has a new movie :D

Jan 11 - 06:43 PM

Corey Dowd

Corey Dowd

Okay, don't even mention the snubs for Tarantino and PT Anderson, and that The Master wasn't even nominated for Best Picture! Same with Dark Knight Rises. Considering the whole reason (allegedly) they bumped it up to up to 10 pics was because of The Dark Knight, it seems ridiculous to not award Nolan for his incredible trilogy.

Jan 11 - 07:11 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

I was really relaying more the main points that most other articles have pointed out about the nominations, than doing my own analysis. If I had been, in addition to QT, I probably would have written about the way "Moonrise Kingdom" was penalized for coming out in May instead of November or December. I personally think it was one of the top 5 movies of the year, and particularly in craft categories, should have been nominated (instead of just one nomination, for original screenplay). I probably could have filled the whole Ketchup with all the snubs and films that could have received more nominations, it's true.

Jan 11 - 08:23 PM

Colton Rice

Colton Rice

Lets be real,Dark Knight Rises sucked

Jan 11 - 10:09 PM

Amardeep Lakra

Amardeep Lakra

But sucking was good.

Jan 12 - 01:48 AM

Harry Ravenwood

Zuhairi Harry Ravenwood

It's not great, but it didn't suck. Though I must say, they give the film a nomination for Original Score and Special Effects. Come on, just because someone didn't overuse greenscreen like George Lucas doesn't mean he or she is not eligible for the award. P.S. I love Star Wars

Jan 12 - 01:59 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

ARE YOU KIDDING???? The Dark Knight Rises has incredibly intelligent dialog and ANNE HATHAWAY IS CATWOMAN, she OWNS that role, probabily sharpening her acting-teeth for Les Miserables

Jan 12 - 11:01 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

How did it suck? It was better than the previous one.

Jan 12 - 11:42 PM

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

Interstellar will flop.Nolan is an accomplished director,but I feel tha he has a signature style,if you notice the similarities in the Bat trilogy and Inception (haven't seen memento).If he strays I got a bad felling about his future......I maybe wrong,but that's my thought.

Always there's a big snub at the Oscar's,this time several.Not surprised,don't care.

Jan 11 - 07:44 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Well we haven't see how he works with that sort of material yet, so I think its a bit early to start judging.

Jan 11 - 08:41 PM

Brendan Adams

Brendan Adams

What would him having a signature style have to do with Interstellar? It's his brother's script so it would have their own flare. I see this movie being a huge success critically and at the box office.

Jan 12 - 01:21 AM

Zhandos Bolatbek

Zhandos Bolatbek

Usual things for Nolan.

Jan 12 - 02:52 AM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Well, since his brother co-wrote the screenplay in several Christopher Nolan films, including the two Dark Knights, then you are simply supporting Gimhana's argument.

Jan 12 - 11:07 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

The fact that you seem to have only put a single thought into your analysis, I'd say it's safe to say you are wrong.

Jan 13 - 07:26 PM

graeme m.

graeme minto

If you have'nt seen memento nolan's best film then i think an opinion from you is irrelevant he and his brother work very well togehter and i imagine that the movie will only gain from spielberg dropping owt and nolan jumping into the seat.

Jan 21 - 11:11 AM

Alex Stiles

Alex Stiles

My biggest disappointment was probably John Hawkes being snubbed, after being nominated for just about every single other award. Also, Affleck and Bigelow weren't the only ones snubbed for Best Director. Quentin Tarantino, anybody? I get that the Academy has personal things against QT (grow up, guys), but in the past, they've at least had the decency to nominate him.

Jan 11 - 07:56 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Jan 11 - 08:23 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Jan 11 - 08:41 PM

Andrew Henderson

Andrew Henderson

No, just a clear case of you being a bitch.

Jan 11 - 09:40 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Jan 11 - 09:50 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Get used to it. It is all he is good at being.

Jan 13 - 01:26 AM

Joshua

Joshua "LF" Mitchell

No mention about Jurassic Park 4?

Jan 11 - 09:42 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

That news broke after my deadline. http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/jurassic-park-4-release-june-13-2014-steven-spielberg/

Jan 11 - 10:05 PM

Jan 12 - 01:59 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jan 12 - 11:01 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

How did it suck? It was better than the previous one.

Jan 12 - 11:42 PM

Jamison Barsotti

Jamison Barsotti

I thought I had seen all of Wes Anderson's movies but I guess I missed "Moonlight Kingdom".

Jan 11 - 10:30 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Ah, thanks for catching that. I'll ask RT to fix.

Jan 11 - 10:47 PM

Sebastian O.

Sebastian Ochoa

It's Moonrise, and I agree with Greg that people sort of forgot about it, since it was released in May, but it truly looked Oscar material. I have seen most Best Picture nominees, my favourite being Silver Linings Playbook. I am dying to watch Django Unchained, but I can only watch it with my friend, which makes me desperate. Personally, QT is one of my favourite directors, while Kathryn Bieglow is NOT. Maybe her snub was due to the fact that she has shown the Academy that she can only make one kind of movie: war, terrorism, death, Cinema Verite. She won for The Hurt Locker, though that could have been for the whole James Cameron/Avatar publicity, but how can she be "Best Director" when she can only make one type of movie? Meanwhile, SLP is complete different to Russell's previous film, the Fighter, that was also nominated for an Oscar.

Jan 12 - 07:38 AM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Ah, thanks for catching that. I'll ask RT to fix.

Jan 11 - 10:47 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Ellis dies on my birthday, how unfortunate. Seems like that Humpty Dumpty movie I've been looking forward to for years now is going to be scrapped or postponed much longer now. Other than that, there is nothing interesting this week.

Jan 11 - 10:49 PM