Box Office Guru Wrapup: Audiences Propel Zero Dark Thirty to #1

Summary

Three films entered wide release shoving holiday holdovers to the side while major Oscar nominees cashed in on the added attention. Leading the way was the Osama bin Laden manhunt pic Zero Dark Thirty which captured the number one spot in its first weekend of wide release following a strong run in limited play. The spoof comedy A Haunted House pulled off an upset by opening in second place ahead of the all-star crime drama Gangster Squad which was in a thousand more theaters. Overall, the marketplace was vibrant inching ahead of the same frame from the last two years which was impressive since those had the added boost of being the MLK holiday weekend. The top four films are all R-rated and five of the top seven movies have running times of two-and-a-half to three hours. Back to Article

Comments

This comment has been removed.

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jesus man, It's a movie in which people can decide for themselves. Seriously did Kathryn Bigelow beat up your little cousin or something. It's by all accounts a fantastic movie and regardless of the subject matter the world can do with more fantastic movie's. You do realize by raging against it so hard you probably contributed to its Box Office. You're like one of those religious people we love so much who made such a fuss over Last Temptation of the Christ or the other side of the coin who raised such a fuss over The Passion of the Christ. By coming out against it and making such a big deal about it you actually ran a partial campaign for it. More effective than if you'd just shut your pie hole. I know I'm paying to see it because of you, when I may have just waited for it to show on TV or DVD. Enjoy feeling good about yourself though when you meet up with the rest of your flat earth society breathren who believe 9-11 was an inside job and Bin Laden was killed in 1974 by Elvis.

Jan 13 - 05:24 PM

This comment has been removed.

Bigbrother

Big Brother

LOL, your picture made this funnier for me since you're just like the Goth kids on South Park. Calling everyone else a conformists/lemmings as you and your little friends dress the same and spew the same theories like you have inside knowledge you obviously don't have.

Jan 13 - 06:22 PM

Janson Jinnistan

9/11 was a conspiracy of negligence. Just because they were too stupid to see it coming doesn't make it an "inside job". Read Richard Clarke's "Against All Enemies" and Kurt Eichenwald's "500 Days". Stay far far away from crap like "Loose Change" and Alex Jones. They are known misinformation agents for the CIA ;)

Jan 13 - 06:25 PM

Janson Jinnistan

And I've also read The Pentagon Papers, and I even "remember the Maine" well enough to know about that lie as well. But your arguments against this particular film are getting too diffuse for their own good. Yes the government requires public accountability, and not just in what Hollywood can provide, and this accountability is threatened by the classified National Security state. But you should also avoid the reverse dogma of believing anything for the sake of it reinforcing your worldview. The "truth" still matters, and just as I don't mind pointing out the truth of the inefficacy of torture in revealing accurate information, I'll also point out the inaccuracies of "inside job" conspiracies of 9/11. You miss the complexity of it. The Gulf of Tonkin was not a planned conspiracy, it was an unfortunate misunderstanding that was taken advantage of by those who had other motives. Similarly, Bush and the CIA weren't behind 9/11, they just took advantage of it to launch an illegal and irrelevant war in Iraq. Don't confuse conspiracy with opportunism.

Jan 13 - 06:56 PM

Mick Travis

You are right, absolute right! All I'm saying is if this film wasn't getting all these nominations and awards, I wouldn't be complaining at all. It IS an extremely well made film, yet its goal still reeks of profits and propaganda.

Jan 13 - 07:08 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Gonna take a wild guess that Mick Travis isn't a big fan of occam's razor.

Jan 14 - 08:35 AM

This comment has been removed.

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

And people claim you aren't charming.

Jan 14 - 03:07 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

The Gulf of Tonkin WAS Planned . . . we ran our PT boat into THEIR waters and they fired on us, and we declared a police action against Vietnam. The Gulf of Tonkin wasn't the first operation in Vietnam either, CIA-led "insurgents" were already attacking Vietnam's infrastructure

Jan 14 - 03:44 PM

Janson Jinnistan

It's never been definitely proven whether the Maddox was in international waters or not, nor whether the Vietnamese ever fired on them or not. It was a brief clash of confusion that gave certain folks an excuse to escalate a war they had been wanting to escalate for years. If they wanted to cause a deliberate provocation, I imagine they'd do something a little more dramatic.

Jan 14 - 04:18 PM

Mick Travis

Recall also that the very first meeting that LBJ called after President Kennedy was assassinated was over Vietnam, but I'm probably going to get this flagged as spam as well by all the assholes in here.

Jan 14 - 05:26 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

Uhhhhh my dear friend, let it go, believe me, this film is pure propaganda whether it wins awards or not. Regarding if we all think Bin Laden died from that raid is something I will not believe, reason? They never showed his body. You don't show it, why should I trust the person? But either way, I'll be going into this film for the story telling, great cast and performances, no more no less.

Jan 13 - 06:48 PM

Well said! :)

Jan 13 - 07:17 PM

Dave J

The reason why gov't officials didn't want to show the body was according to Obama he didn't want the Taliban to use it as a martyr or a symbol to start more terrorist bombings even though one of the SEAL team took a picture of it which was totally against protocal!

Jan 14 - 12:57 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Thank goodness the Taliban don't watch the Oscars.

Jan 14 - 01:09 PM

Does the internet count!

Jan 14 - 04:06 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I'm just saying, besides being a little insulting to the majority of Muslims who wouldn't give a rat's ass about Bin Laden, what's the point in not publishing the picture of his body, but then make a film with a 30 minute re-enactment of his death? It does sound (pardon me) fishy.

Jan 14 - 04:27 PM

Dave J

I know, but you just said the majority of Muslims meaning that they're still some who practice radical extremisism- some may even live here in the United States! I mean one of them did shoot a little girl for the right for an education and is Elvis really alive!

Jan 14 - 04:44 PM

Janson Jinnistan

The majority of Muslims do not shoot little girls, or anybody.

Jan 14 - 04:54 PM

Dave J

Besides that one of the SEALs team six even took a photo of him for it all depends on him whether or not he will release it to the open public or not would be "used" against him and possibly be prosecuted accordingly!

Jan 14 - 04:57 PM

Dave J

No that is not what I said, I said their was a girl shot by a radical extremist who was against girls the right for an education by the name of Malala Yousufzai- some even said she should get the nobel peace prize for speaking out! I'm just saying that they're still some radical extremism being practiced- I'm not arguing about it's percent!

Jan 14 - 05:20 PM

bribios

brian wilson

I think the pictures of Bin Laden post bullet to the face will eventually be released once those in charge of the decision decide it is no longer likely to stoke significant anger among Islamic extremists. Not sure how much it matters though, since there are still going to be a ton of conspiracy theorists who decry it as fake. I guess these days it's not considered wise to believe in the evidence unless it proves your existing beliefs.

Jan 15 - 11:27 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Bin Laden probably had a heart attack and they sold his corpse to us on the hush hush.

Jan 14 - 02:48 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

P.s. Just look at the movie as a work of fiction and it will probably be pretty good.

Jan 14 - 02:49 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

the film also argues that water-boarding, torture is sometimes a necessary means to an end. the working-title was Kill Bin Laden reminding me of the Kill Bill Tarantino titles.

Jan 14 - 03:47 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 13 - 05:24 PM

This comment has been removed.

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 13 - 06:22 PM

Jan 13 - 06:25 PM

Jan 13 - 06:56 PM

Jan 13 - 07:08 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Gonna take a wild guess that Mick Travis isn't a big fan of occam's razor.

Jan 14 - 08:35 AM

This comment has been removed.

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

And people claim you aren't charming.

Jan 14 - 03:07 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jan 14 - 03:44 PM

Jan 14 - 04:18 PM

Jan 14 - 05:26 PM

This comment has been removed.

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 13 - 06:22 PM

Jan 13 - 06:25 PM

Jan 13 - 06:56 PM

Jan 13 - 07:08 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Gonna take a wild guess that Mick Travis isn't a big fan of occam's razor.

Jan 14 - 08:35 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 13 - 06:22 PM

Jan 13 - 06:25 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

I knew Zero Dark Thirty was going to win.

Jan 13 - 06:36 PM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

wow...gosh

Jan 14 - 04:02 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

Jan 13 - 06:48 PM

Well said! :)

Jan 13 - 07:17 PM

Jan 14 - 12:57 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Thank goodness the Taliban don't watch the Oscars.

Jan 14 - 01:09 PM

Does the internet count!

Jan 14 - 04:06 PM

Jan 14 - 04:27 PM

Jan 14 - 04:44 PM

Janson Jinnistan

The majority of Muslims do not shoot little girls, or anybody.

Jan 14 - 04:54 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jan 14 - 03:47 PM

Jan 13 - 06:56 PM

Matt Jordan

Matt Jordan

Saw Zero and Squad this weekend...meh. Neither one was really all that good. Squad was good but has some issues and Zero was actually quite boring. Not near as good as Locker.

Jan 13 - 07:08 PM

Jan 13 - 07:08 PM

Well said! :)

Jan 13 - 07:17 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

Go Katharyn Bigelow! You got robbed in possibly the biggest Oscar snub in decades, but your latest masterpiece took the top spot at the boxoffice, and people will be able to decide for themselves whether it's propoganda or a movie that deals with the complexity of counterterrorism in smart, tough, breathtaking ways.

Jan 13 - 08:52 PM

Mick Travis

Even Sam Mendes deserved a nod over Bigelow.

Jan 13 - 09:28 PM

Gary Devenport

Gary Devenport

No he didn't. Quit using the comment section for your political soapbox.

Jan 13 - 09:36 PM

Mick Travis

How was that comment political jackass?

Jan 14 - 12:29 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Yes! Thank you!

Jan 15 - 08:33 PM

Mick Travis

Again, how was that comment political?

Jan 16 - 03:41 PM

Maxime Perreault

Maxime Perreault

sup

Jan 13 - 08:54 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

so glad that Lincoln's holding up so well.

Jan 13 - 09:13 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Lincoln is a treatise of POLITICAL TERROR for those Southerners who wanted slavery; Lincoln illustrates how The War of Northern Aggression was undermined by subversive Yankee political ideology. The South Will Rise AGAIN! yyyyyyyEEEEEEE HHHAAAAAA gimme a true REBEL YELL! "Its Heritage Not Hate" . Every Movie, even Lincoln is politically subversive. Hollywood has never treated a Good Southerner and a Great Republican with the respects he deserves. /// Django Unchained is a primary example. yes ALL MOVIES ARE POLITICAL favoring Leftist Extremists- yes, even Happy Feet is political.

Jan 14 - 03:56 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Says the black guy from Yankee Ithaca. Good to have you back, Gordon!

Jan 14 - 04:20 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office