Ziegfeld Girl Reviews

November 16, 2009
campy, corny, hokey but fun. it's hard to judge these kind of films too harshly. it is what it is. a soap bubble. judy sings, lana looks impossibly cute and hedy is a knockout. jimmy stewart's last film before ww2 service and he gets to play a gangster. this shoulda been in color for the sake of the elaborate production numbers and those ridiculous costumes
½ April 29, 2009
The cast is the kind you would only be able to get from MGM at its peak all giving good performances. Judy's rendition of "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows" is exquisite and "Minnie the Moocher" is fun. The corn is a little high but an enjoyable experience overall.
January 25, 2012
An all right movie concerning the passions and sacrifices of three aspiring actresses. The cast is top notch, of course, and James Stewart and Judy Garland are always a pleasure to watch.
½ November 20, 2011
Lots of Ziegfeld razzmataz - original acts and a calvalcade of stars - James Stewart, Judy Garland and Hedy Lamar lead the way in this story of the lives of just a few of Ziegfield's girls. Charming old songs and dance numbers.
November 28, 2010
Saw this movie for the second time now. Even better than the first! I love Lana Turner, James Stewart, Judy Garland, and Hedy Lamarr. Everyone of them were so young in this early movie. Fantastic sets in this beautiful film!
½ June 16, 2009
Well produced and certainly a better than average musical, curiously not in color though. The cast is terrific, including the supporting players. Some very good musical numbers. I could never tire of hearing Judy Garland sing, she has such an amazing voice.
½ May 17, 2009
One of my all time favorites. it has many of my most loved actors and actresses in it. And it is one heck of a good musical!
June 20, 2008
Just look at that cast. You can't lose unless you require a credible plot, and don't like the songs.
May 10, 2007
More than just a musical, the jubilations and hard times of three very different women is very well potrayed.
April 21, 2015
Big, beautiful, expensive MGM production with an all-star cast and production numbers by Busby Berkeley (including "You Stepped Out of a Dream"); Judy sings "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows" and "Minnie from Trinidad." A wonderful wallow from beginning to end.
½ October 3, 2014
I'm not a big fan of Busby Berkeley but this film had a strong cast (James Stewart, Judy Garland, Hedy Lamarr, Lana Turner, Jackie Cooper, Edward Everett Horton, Eve Arden Dan Dailey) who manage to overcome a pretty routine soaper about three women who become "Ziegfeld Girls." The film starts out pretty strong with three women from different backgrounds finding their way to careers as dancers in the biggest show in town, but the film sadly then focuses primarily on their love lives to not much interesting or original effect. I probably never would have watched this film if it wasn't for the presence of my latest Hollywood obsession, Hedy Lamarr, and she is quite fine in the film.
½ August 10, 2013
The first time I ever saw Ziegfeld Girl, I came in late, and couldn't figure out who played the gorgeous Sheila Regan. Imagine my surprise when I learned it was 20-year-old Lana Turner. Later on, they lacquered her up, bleached her hair and pumped her full of Lillian Burns-style mannerisms (Burns was the acting coach at MGM). But in ZG, she's sweet, natural, unaffected and absolutely heartbreaking. She had it all, they should never have sent her to school. Love this movie!!
½ March 9, 2012
Ziegfeld Girl is an enjoyable film. It is about being discovered by Flo Ziegfeld that changes a girl's life but not necessarily for the better. Judy Garland, Hedy Lamarr, and Lana Turner give excellent performances. The screenplay and music are both amazing. Robert Z. Leonard and Busby Berkeley did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Ziegfeld Girl is a must see.
October 9, 2011
Nice backstage look at three Zielgfeld Girls (Judy Garland, Lana Turner, Hedy Lamarr) and their lives and loves. Good cast, great supporting cast (I love Eve Arden), and good showy musical numbers. I wish it were in color!
July 23, 2007
[size=3][font=Times][color=white][b][i][color=darkorange]Undeclared: The Complete Series[/color][/i][/b] 7/10[/color][/font][/size]

[font=Times][size=3][color=white]I really liked this show when it was on the air, but as I watched the whole series back to back, parts of the storyline don?t make sense. In one episode, Lizzie and Eric are broken up then in the next one they?re back together with no explanation. And in another episode, Steven is still trying to get Lizzie but fails, but in the next one they wake up next to each other in the same bed. But it was a funny show. Too bad these guys? shows don?t make it past one season. They?re the guys who did [i]Freak and Geeks[/i] too. [/color][/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Times][color=white] [/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times][color=white][b][i][color=darkorange]The Harvey Girls[/color][/i][/b] 8/10[/color][/font][/size]

[font=Times][size=3][color=white]I didn?t expect to like this so much. It was funny, romantic and had some well written songs and performances in it. My favorite part is when Judy Garland holds up a saloon at gunpoint to get back the stolen steaks. [/color][/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Times][color=white] [/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times][color=white][b][i][color=darkorange]For Me and My Gal[/color][/i][/b] 6/10[/color][/font][/size]

[font=Times][size=3][color=white]I was hoping for one of Berkeley?s extravagant bird?s eye view in this, but nothing. There was a little too much war propaganda for me, but I did enjoy the story and seeing two of my favorites together on screen. [/color][/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Times][color=white] [/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times][color=white][b][i][color=darkorange]An Evening With Kevin Smith[/color] [/i][/b] 7/10[/color][/font][/size]

[font=Times][size=3][color=white]Funny, but too long for my attention span. [/color][/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Times][color=white] [/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Times][color=white][b][i][color=darkorange]Ziegfeld Girl[/color][/i][/b] 6/10[/color][/font][/size]

[font=Times][size=3][color=white]It was alright. Sometimes it seemed a bit too slow. Personally, I think having three protagonists was a problem for the structure of the story, but it worked okay. [/color][/size][/font]

½ August 20, 2005