• R, 2 hr. 8 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Zombi 2 Reviews

Cory T

October 24, 2011
For extended periods, the viewers are actually expected to endure excursive discussions on the voodoo origins of zombies and a doltish mystery around the disappearance of a boating enthusiast. Granted, the dropsical gore is astonishingly revolting and the makeup of the decaying zombies (with maggot-infested skulls and shredded flesh) is effectively decomposing. What should the centerpiece is an underwater scuffle between a shark and zombie is not particularly epic mostly due to the languid pacing and soft soundtrack. The solitary chilling scene is the excruciating buildup of a zombie stalking a woman through the a tropical-paradise hotel room until he effortlessly breaks through a door and slowly wrenches her eyeballs into a wooden splinter. Other than the fact that is an Italian production and set on a beach, the mayhem is a rehashed dish of Romero.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 26, 2007
Zombie (AKA Zombi 2 or Zombie Flesh Eaters) is considered to be one of the best zombie movies ever made while at the same time it branded Lucio Fulci as the Italian king of splatter. The film is very gritty and extremely unpleasant in places, even by today's standards. The eye-gouging scene and underwater zombie vs. shark scene are particularly memorable, as is the film's opening bit which has been imitated in both films and video games. The score for the film is extremely good. A sort of dark and depressing funeral dirge mixed with shock cues and themes make it very haunting. The make-up for the film is also very impressive, particularly the zombie make-up. I rather like the zombies in this film more than any of the others only because they seem completely void of humanity. They remind me much more of the zombies from the films of Jacques Tourneur (perhaps it's the voodoo). They move slowly, make little to no noise and the only major movement that they make is to lunge out and devour. I find that to be very effective and unique - almost like an animal of some sort. The movie is also very-well photographed and framed and the desaturation of the color palette only adds to the grittyness and dark feel. The film went on to spawn several sequels and spin-offs (none directly related to this film's storyline), while at the same time being a sequel to Romero's Dawn of the Dead in Italy. It went critically unnoticed for years because of this but has gained a cult status and gotten much more attention by film fans, gore hounds and just horror film fans in general, and for good reason. Zombie is one of the elite quintessential zombie movies and faithfully follows throuogh on its tag line: "We are going to eat you!"
Luke B

May 6, 2011
One of the zombie greats. Zombie certainly starts and ends well. The beginning sees a boat sailing by itself. Shortly a zombie is found on board and a journalist investigates its origins. Nice to see a zombie film with a bit of mystery, even if the mystery isn't that intriguing. People will look at the dubbing and probably cry foul, but who cares. It's very well done, even when the lips don't sync. At least all the emotion in the voice matched what the actors were portraying. The zombies themselves are very well deisgned. They look like they have dug themselves up from the earth, caked in dirt and soil, making their decomposed forms eerie and disgusting. The violence is still pretty harsh. With a particular eye scene making me gag a few times. Anything to do with eyes and I'm shuddering. The best part of all is the zombie vs. shark match. Not just because of how awesome it is, but because it's from a time when they used an actual real shark and a human. Just to see these two together is impressive in a CGI dominated world. It had many an emotional part, but it's all fairly familiar. Luckily, when someone makes a film with this much passion, you're going to notice the differences no matter how small.
Cassandra M

May 19, 2007
Now this is how a zombie film should be made! Whilst Lucio Fuci never had the creative genius of Dario Argento in Profondo Rosso, Tenebrae and Suspiria, he certainly knew how to make a good old fashioned zombie/gore movie. In Zombi 2 or Zombie Flesh Eaters (what a title!) as it was known in the UK, a ship drifts into New York with a very large, hungry zombie on board. This leads to two investigative journalists, including gore stalwart Ian McCulloch, with two holiday makers going to the Island of Matul. After meeting a shark wrestling zombie en route, they arrive at Matul where things are not going well. The hospital run by Dr. Menard has turned into a morgue where daily zombie killing has become the routine. Things go from bad to worse as the zombies grow in number and various dismemberment, eye gouging, jugular bites etc ensue. What makes this film so good are various factors. Apart from being one of the first gore films I ever saw, it has no social commentary or hidden meaning and does not try to be a comedy (although some may argue with this). It is a good, honest gore film. The special effects are nice and gruesome, with fantastic zombie make up, great zombie attacks and loads of maggots and worms. The crazy underwater battle between zombie and shark is totally original and not surprisingly has never been tried since. The infamous eye scene whilst a bit creaky still makes the viewer cringe. The acting and dubbing are dodgy but don't detract from the zombie mayhem, the music is great with calypso music to greet the heroes and throbbing effects to welcome the zombies. I cannot recommend this highly enough for good old fashioned zombie related thrills. Also look out for The Beyond and City of the Living Dead in a similar vein.
Emily A

February 11, 2011
I take back everything I said about only being impressed by contemporary horror movies. Lucio Fulci is one sick puppy, but we all get to enjoy his oeuvre! I am so glad I didn't see this when I was any younger, because it would have given me the worst nightmares imaginable. I think the tagline of this movie is both poetically apt and ingeniously elegant: We are going to eat you. Fulci totally nails the single-minded certainty of a zombie's goal and motivation, and rightly identifies it as the most frightening thing about them. This is a perfect movie about the encroaching dead: they have all the time in the world, you don't, and they will eventually rip down your fence, knock down the walls of your house and devour you mouthful by agonizing mouthful. The pressing dread conveyed in this movie ia like watching a disaster in slow motion, and being powerless to stop it. That's some stone-cold shit, yo. It's also extremely impressive how Fulci goes about creating this black nebulous cloud of dread that permeates Zombi. The gore effects are absolutely flawless, and shot with a sickeningly unflinching lens. One moment sticks out in my mind: a woman is about to... sustain an injury... to the face... and the pace at which is happens is so slow, it's painful. You can feel her dread, and right at the moment where it's the worst, the camera doesn't cut away. WHO THE HELL DOES THAT? I'm so used to gore effects being "left to the imagination" that when a director actually lets you see everything, the effect is really jarring. Hoo. This movie is not for the faint of heart.
Keiko A. --Samurai--
Keiko A. --Samurai--

November 16, 2010
Slightly above average Lucio Fulci's zombie proved to be very gruesome and sick for its time no doubt my people would have loved it though. I just got it on DVD along with zombie 3 and I have to put zombie 3 as my favorite so far the reason being zombie 3 doesn't bore me this how ere there are so Meany lengthy scenes and the movie has an extremely slow pace to it we don't see zombies till ages into the film.

A Zombie is found aboard a boat off the New York coast which belongs to do a famous scientist. Peter West,a journalist, travels to the Antilles with Ann, the daughter of the scientist. On the way, they meet with with Brian, a ethnologist, and Susan. When they arrive at Matul Island, they find Dr. Menard, and discover a terrifying diease which is turning the Islanders into horrifying Zombies which devour human flesh and seem indestructible.

The story was good but very slow one of my favourite scenes is when the zombie fights the shark under the water ridicules but cool.

60% for story slightly above average slow and cool.

40% for acting most times they cant act for shit and just standing around when zombies are attacking but most of the American actors pull throw.

70% for special effects they would have been shocking for its time including when the girl gets the splinter throw her eye.

60% for characters' my favorite is peter the journalist he really wants the perfect story but it just came walking towards him with the maggots falling off its body down on him.

80% for everything else some great setting, AMAZING HORROR SCORE!, etc

Overall slightly above average but any horror fan like me would love it

Keiko's score 69-100
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 21, 2010
Ever since I became interested in Horror, I've been looking for the best, goriest and coolest Zombie film ever made. Aside from George Romero's classic zombie films, and Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead trilogy, Lucio Fulci's Zombie 2 is among the best the Zombie genre has to offer. Fulci's film is known as the unoffical sequel to George Romero's Dawn Of The Dead (the Italian Cut of this film was supervised by Dario Argento and renamed Zombi). Lucio Fulci has made some of the most memorable films in the Horror genre. Of All his films that I've seen, Zombie is among my favorites. The film features the traditional elements that make ever Fulci film so memorable, lots of blood & gore. In fact, of all the films of the late 70's and early 80's, this is one of the goriest. I think it's one of the best Zombie films for that reason alone, Fulci doesn't skip on the gore, and it makes the film more enjoyable in the process. Obviously, you shouldn't watch the film if you've got a weak stomach. The film features two memorable scenes, the Zombie vs Shark scene and the eye gouging sequence. Both scenes are very good, and in pure Lucio Fulci fashion, ooze with blood. On a side note, I love George Romero's films, love em. But this film is entirely different. The zombies in this one look way better than anything else that I have seen, these zombies look skull rotting spectacular on screen. I don't think I've seen better looking zombies in any other zombie flick. After finally seeing Zombie, I can now understand what all the fuss is about. I came to realize how great Fulci really was, I've already seen City Of The Living Dead and The House By The Cemetery, and I knew he was a great director in the Horror genre. But when I saw Zombie, I understood the magnitude of his genius. Fulci was a master of shock, he always seeked to gross out an audience and pulled it off with flying colors. Zombie 2 is one of his finest achievements and will definitely please gorehounds and Zombie fans alike. A film not to miss.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

September 11, 2010
Had to watch this at a party, slightly drunk. I didn't follow much of the story and even drunk was not convinced of the acting... but there were some pretty good cinematic techniques. Like the woman holding a door shut and instead of showing the door slowly open, it shows the light. Very cool.
Very bloody and gruesome, so if you like that, then great!
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 8, 2009
Let's be real. When you rent a low-budget cult-ish horror movie you can't expect Citizen Kane. It is what it is. And, for what it is, it isn't half bad. There are even a couple of scenes (i.e. Zombie vs. Shark and "There is something in my eye") that are downright almost nearly sorta good.
Drew S

February 11, 2007
Great zombie gore, but silly and difficult to really get invested in. The shark vs. zombie fight is pretty sensational. The women are exceptionally incapable, to derisively humorous lengths, and watching them stare at zombies helplessly as they bear down on them starts to feel less like a behavioral inconsistency and more like a running joke. Some barely-there efforts to blame the zombie plague on voodoo and the plot's dull emphasis on Tisa Farrow's search for her father show that Zombie is really only concerned with the money shots, and as great as those are, it's too bland too much of the time to really call it a classic.

Really, all there is to acquit the movie is the makeup, and the fact that Mia Farrow's sister is the main character. One acts for Woody Allen...the other acts for Lucio Fulci. How great is that?
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

January 30, 2007
Lucio Fulci's "Zombie" (or Zombi 2, purposely advertised in Italy as a fake sequel to Dawn of the Dead) is a good bunch of zombie fun. Fulci compensates the limited narrative with plenty of creative ideas to present the whole thing. There's everything from someone getting a piece of wood in one eye to the now infamous zombie vs shark scene. The man doesn't waste anytime either in squeezing all the explotation/b-trashy factor, all the main female characters show their breasts at least one time, with the exception of Tisa Farrow (which is ok because she is the least good looking of the bunch) So, how can you say no to zombies and boobies? Also, the zombie make up is by far one of the most memorable in the genre. Did i say there is a zombie vs shark fight? Go watch it.
Conner R

November 18, 2009
VERY outrageous. The racist dialogue and underwater zombie/shark scene is worth watching. The movie is just so bad and nuts that it truly becomes a piece of art. The music is great, a total homage to Romero's stuff. This is probably not anything close to what anyone wanting a sequel to Dawn of the Dead wanted, but Fulci decided to make his own B-movie classic. The best part about this movie is how fun it is. I love the island setting and the completely ludicrous death scenes.
rubystevens
rubystevens

March 24, 2008
cheesy acting, gratuitous nudity, major gore and some of the coolest zombies ever. aim for the head
Brian D

March 9, 2008
Saw this when i was a kid and scary the shit out of me...
One of the best of Lucio Fulci's zombie films.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 25, 2007
Pretty great zombie stuff. A few points off for TERRIBLE voice dubbing. Still, as my friends have mentioned, zombie vs. shark is good.
Aaron N

November 15, 2006
Brian Hull: [after spending a whole lot of time by himself securing the doorway] Will this hold them.
Dr. Menard: Not a chance.

Now, I knew this in advance, but this movie is titled Zombi 2 in most places, claiming to be a sequel to Dawn of the Dead. The truth is that it took the '2' based on the success 'Dawn' had. This movie is not a sequel to anything. It actually would have better if it had been called Island of the Living Dead.

Anyway, this movie sucks in terms of having good characters and story, but those coming to watch this type of movie, a non Romero zombie movie from the 70s are probably not expecting much depth.

Two and a half stars comes for only a few reasons: I made up my own dialog throughout the movie. There are some quality kills and gore. There is plenty of gratuitous nudity. The music pretty good. And the ending is appropriate for this film.

People are just so stupid in this movie. There are a few times where people just stand still for a good minute and a half before realizing that maybe they should move out of the way before being eaten.

The story is so ludicrous, and even bothers to try and explain the origin of these zombies, despite the fact that against all odds the scientist still maintains that there is a logical explanation for all of this.

There is some creative stuff here worth a viewing once, but no reason to really come back when there are so many superior zombie films out there already.

Dr. Menard: The boat can leave now. Tell the crew.
cancercapricorn2002
cancercapricorn2002

July 1, 2007
While not the classic that Night Of The Living Dead and Dawn Of The Dead are Lucio Fulci's Zombie is still one of the best zombie films out there. The film hits the ground running with a fat zombie attacking a coast card off Manhattan, the film then grinds to a halt for fifteen minutes, but once the unnecessary exposition is done with, the film earns its living dead stripes.

What separates ZOMBIE from its genre brethren is atmosphere and special effects. Lucio Fulci knew how to create great atmosphere in his films and he also knew when to take a special effect way, way over the top.

The rotting, walking carcasses in this potboiler are just so wonderful as they walk and stalk and chow down on anything that moves.

The famous "eyeball" scene is a showstopper and the scenes where zombies sit around a corpse eating slowly, so as to savor the taste, are priceless.

The flaming finale shows real passion for the genre and the voodoo background never becomes boring.

This is one of my favorite Fulci flicks, I also harbor affection for THE BEYOND and GATES OF HELL. both films rich in atmosphere.
In the end despite its flaws like the bad dubbing and a few slow spots the film more than makes up for it with great atmosphere and delivering the gory goods which is what counts in these kind of films
Ken S

April 3, 2007
A zombie fights a shark...nuff said
Michael G

April 18, 2007
Typical zombie plot, but it's mythology comes from the fact that the zombies are more from the I Walked With a Zombie school as opposed to the Night of the Living Dead school. Zombi 2/Zombie is repugnant, disgusting and so much fun. The zombies are some of the coolest looking zombies I've ever seen. The story's nothing special, but topless skindiver and the zombie vs. shark fight was the shit!