63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

90% Outlander: Season 1

Zui hao de shi guang (Three Times) Reviews

Edward B

May 31, 2007
This film is about emotion, not plot. Poetic and beautiful to watch.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

September 14, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"Three Times" contains three stylish vignettes set in Taiwan in 1966(Time for Love), 1911(Time for Freedom) and 2005(Time for Youth), each starring Qi Shu and Chen Chang playing characters in differing states of infatuation. Each story was made in an attempt to emulate each era's movies, not so much the reality of that time.(Any time period never looks at itself completely honestly, censoring out any forbidden subjects, thus giving truth to the lie that nobody had hot sex before 1969.) Although 1966 owes a lot to Wong Kar Wai, 1911 is done as a silent film complete with intertitles and musical accompaniment, albeit in color. With the earlier times, there is a sense of so close and so far for the couple in question but in 2005 with total freedom, the couple is together but not happy, suggesting that with increased liberty, we are not necessarily any happier than in stricter times. But you know what? I'll take my chances with the present day... [/font]
John B

November 15, 2012
Love across the ages...been done to death right? Perhaps, but it often isn't done right to death. We have had epics from mainland China and the great action genre of Hong Kong so it is good to see a Taiwanese film adding to Chineses collection. Quite touching.

January 31, 2011
最好的時光 is carefully emotionally balanced Taiwanese film nominated for the Palme d'Or at the 2005 Cannes Film Festivalis. The director of this wonderfully executed story triptich is Hou Hsiao-Hsien. Featuring three chronologically separate stories of love between May and Chen, which he sets in 1911, 1966 and 2005, using the same lead actors, very talented and charming Shu Qi and Chang Chen, we are introduced to three varieties of love: unfulfilled, mercenary, meaningless. The best part of this art work is the photography which was done with such visual beauty "that watching the movie is like holding your breath so the butterfly won't stir" (that was form the Chicago Sun critic)!

Even the famous Jim Jarmusch said that "Hou Hsiao-Hsien is not only the crowning jewel of contemporary Taiwanese cinema, but an international treasure" and for him "His films are... among the most inspiring of the past thirty years, and his grace and subtlety as a filmmaker remain unrivaled." I agree to a degree!

August 24, 2010
"Three Times" is a very slow pace picture based on three different stories and three different time periods. Hou Hsiao-hsien's main focus here is the growing fondness of love, communication, and human emotions. All done almost effortlessly.
Krystle C

June 11, 2006
Stunning and heartbreaking, the masterful film shows how much can be communicated by a nervous giggle, a resigned removal of an earring, or tightly clasped hands around a waist. Shu Qi is gloriously showcased in three different roles, first as the blushing ingenue, then the quietly demure courtesan, and then the sensual singer. Chang Chen does a decent job as her stolid counterpart, but the true beauty of this films lies in its artful direction. Magnificent.
joe7111
September 11, 2008
loved it, awesome, Qi Shu is amazing in this. So believable in all 3 times, she is a great actress. I hope we get to see her in another EL movie besides Transporter.
Jungian
August 28, 2008
a film that covers how love and cinema have changed over the ages. another fine piece of cinema bu Hsiao-hsien Hou.
September 23, 2007
Too artsy for my taste. As other reviewers have noted, there is minimal dialog...which makes the movie drag. I did, however, like how each story was done in the style of the era it was supposed to be from. I also liked the first two stories, but there is no real link between the stories other than the characters being acted out by the same people. Again, I have to agree with the another reviewer in respecting the director, but a thumbs down for how boring the movie turned out to be.
selenestar15
February 18, 2007
this movie is interesting and hard to follow. Its good for a chinese romance foriegn film. but like i said, its hard to follow
June 4, 2014
Amazing. The cinematography of Hou Hsiao-hsien once again embellishes the already beautiful film, like a chocolate syrup-coated cherry topping.
August 30, 2006
Melancholic, beautiful, and strangely affecting.
April 2, 2013
this is one of those art house movies that people would cite as the reason they hate these kinds of films. there's a lot of open space, it's quaint, subdued and quiet, and it operates at a deliberately slow pace. i'll admit it lost me at ties especially in the 1911 segment but you can't deny its exquisiteness and subtlety. its pace eventually gets hypnotically rhythmic particularly in the first segment which stands on its own as a wonderful short film. try this one out

August 24, 2010
February 10, 2012
Beautifully shot, and an interesting point of view
Joe Weng
June 21, 2011
Shu Qi and Chang Chen acting is ok, but Hsiao-hsien Hou make me totally disappointed with this film is boring and depressing, I try not to fall asleep.
February 4, 2011
年纪大äºï 1/4çï 1/4è¦?ä¸?æ~¯è'æ·çå"ï 1/4æ'æ- (C)å°±ç

January 31, 2011

Umelbumel
June 30, 2010
Jim Jarmusch bezeichnete diesen Film von Hou Hsiao-Hsien als "Meisterwerk", kann man durchaus verstehen, Jim Jarmusch macht nämlich teilweise ähnlich einschläfernde Filme ohne Tempo und Höhepunkte.
Mir hat Three Times nicht wirklich gefallen, die Schauspieler waren zwar in Ordnung und gefilmt ist das Ganze auch sehr hübsch aber die Geschichten sind einfach langweilig und das Erzähltempo ist unfassbar langsam. Durch diese zwei Stunden musste ich mich wirklich quälen und ich bin wirklich ein Mensch der ruhigen Filmen sehr viel abgewinnen kann. Nein, das war nichts für mich.
2/5