Zyzzyx Rd. Reviews

November 25, 2013
About five years ago, Zyzzyx Road was produced in the Mojave Desert on a budget of $2,000,000. The film was open for 6 days in cinemas by the end of which a total of 6 tickets had been sold, equalling the value of $30. Two of these tickets, however, were purchased by crew members in the film, and were fully refunded, bringing the film in to earning roughly negative $1,999,980. Since then the film has virtually hit the black again thanks to DVD sales and so on. The notoriety the film gained due to its incredible box-office bomb helped propel Grey's Anatomy/Knocked Up/27 Dresses star Katherine Heigl to her current fame.

Zyzzyx Road, plain and simple, is not good. But I think it's quite sad that there are a sea of films out there that this movie absolutely puts to shame that would've made bucketloads, while Zyzzyx is stuck in MinusMillions. There's really only three actors in the whole piece (plus the token redneck you're contractually obliged to put in a road-trip-based US Horror, nobody really stands out, but this just means there was no monumental fuck ups in the B-Movie casting call, where they hire whatever racial group they're lacking at the time, or maybe a girl who's well endowed between the collarbones and lower sternum, rather than on kids who can actually act.

It's quite short, and quite simple, so there's not a whole that can be said about it, but is honestly a good 40 or 50 thousand times better than I thought it would be, going in knowing nothing other than that it was being released by Flashback Entertainment. My ex-girlfriend and I despise Flashback. Too many dodgy, cheap and woeful DVD's like The Raven fucking with out faith in humanity. It's not boring, it's not stupid, and it's not annoying, so good on you Zyzzyx Road, may you sell $2 copies of your DVD from bargain bins in the local IGA for many more years to come.

-Gimly
Robbanflix
December 3, 2007
The idea of the movie was pretty good and could have been alot better but it fails on weak acting / dumb scenes / characters etc. in my opinion.
May 31, 2013
Domestic box office! Nuff said.
½ October 28, 2012
Not bad actually. If you liked Breakdown with Curt Russell you will enjoy this.
October 2, 2012
Grant (Leo Grillo) is an accountant with a bad marriage and a daughter whom he loves. He takes to the road to service his accounts in Las Vegas. While there he meets seductive Marissa (Katherine Heigl). They have a week-long affair which culminates in the arrival of Marissa's ex-boyfriend, Joey (Tom Sizemore). Joey attempts to kill the lovers, but Grant gets the upper hand, Grant and Marissa then drive Joey's body to Zyzzyx Road and Grant buries Joey in the desert there. But in the morning the body is missing and something is trying to kill Grant and Marissa.

also stars Rickey Medlocke, Yorlin Madera, Meguire Grillo, Di Koob, Nancy Linari and Michael Lugenbuehl.

directed by John Penney.
½ October 14, 2012
If I ever cried during this movie, it was because I was force to mace myself as punishment for considering this film.
½ September 13, 2012
This movie was okay, but the effects were not that good. Pretty good story!
June 15, 2012
Why did I waste my time watching a movie like this. I HATED IT! 30 dollar box office, horrible reviews on IMDB, it is just horrible. DON'T SEE IT!
August 28, 2011
There's only one reason to see this movie, and that's curiosity to see what the least profitable film ever made looks like.

A headtrip about two lovers in the desert, it stars a pre-stardom Katherine Heigl and an unhinged Tom Sizemore (is there any other kind?) and was released theatrically in a single theatre for a single week to comply with screen actors guild rules. Total box office gross ? $20.

Why? There are certainly worse films around. It's probably a classic case of a distributor buying something, realising they weren't going to make money out of it (maybe suffering a change of management) and dumping it at a loss, the backers losing their shirts as their $2m budget went nowhere.

Everyday schmoe Grant (Grillo ? the producer and definitely not leading man material) is driving into the desert with his underage lover Marissa (Heigl) and the body of her psycho ex boyfriend Joey (Sizemore) in the trunk. They intend to take it out to the remote dirt road of the title, bury Joey and get on with their lives.

But when they get there Joey's body goes missing, apparently not as dead as they thought. The pair stumble around in the desert all night trying to decide whether to just flee or find Joey and finish him off, but the whole time Grant sees disturbing visions of Marissa's face melting off.

It's not until the next morning that Grant tracks Joey down to an abandoned mine ? by which time Marissa's survived a normally-fatal snakebite ? where the latter tries to reason with Grant about the truth. Marissa's not human, Joey claims, and he was in the process of getting her (fake) feminine wiles out of his system and taking care of her for good when Grant came into her life and she started work on him instead. They have no choice but to find her and cut her heart out with a special knife Joey has for just that purpose.

But there's a deeper truth I won't spoil here, except to say that writer/director John Penney is obviously a Lynch fan. Even though film itself isn't terribly well done, in Lynch's hands such an unreliable narrator/insanity made reality story would be a masterpiece. It even had many of the elements he often returns to such as lovers with fracturing minds and the surreal landscapes of remote California.
August 25, 2011
Not bad, but not stunning either. Most famous for being the lowest grossing film in US history: it made a grand total of $30 in the one theatre it played at.
August 17, 2011
Wasn't a bad movie actually.
January 22, 2011
damn! the people of rotten tomatoes didn't even bother to review it! lol
½ December 28, 2010
apparently this is the lowest grossing movie of all time.... enough said
October 15, 2010
the unsucsessful premier is probably because of the lack of advertising
October 12, 2010
The lowest grossing film of all time
July 13, 2009
It was a good indy film that is in fact the lowest grossing movie of all time. The movie is not availabe in the US, but it is definatly worth watching.
January 29, 2009
Good up until half way then it becomes mediocre with moments of meh
July 25, 2008
Hmmmm
Katherine Heigl- yay
The Plot - Nay
Katherine Heigl - Yay
The Acting - Nay
Katherine Heigl - Yay
Everything else about this movie - Nay

She was by far thew best part of this movie,
I know i say this alot BUT this movie did have the potential... Just needed more than a few adjustments such as removing the urge to add in a "twist" every so often- it just ruined the story.
May 2, 2008
Being Im such a Heigl fan, I thought she did a great job and nailed the hammer right on the nail. Great flick! I recommend! I bought the dvd for 5 bucks cant go wrong!!
½ April 17, 2008
[color=black]I just watched Zyzzyx Road on their website...it was awesome!! Such a good thriller...you deff have to pay attension but it was unbelieveable!! I really enjoyed it!! I ordered the DVD 2...it was 5 bucks, how could I not?!!? Deff a sick twist to it!![/color]