Robin Williams to Suit Up for Mrs. Doubtfire 2

Those wanting to see Robin Williams in drag again may get their wish. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Fox 2000 is working on a sequel to their 1993 hit comedy, "Mrs. Doubtfire." Robin Williams is in early talks to reprise his role as a divorced father who dresses in drag in order to fool his ex-wife and get close to his children as their housekeeper. No director is attached as of yet, but Bonnie Hunt is in talks to write the screenplay. Released in 1993, "Mrs. Doubtfire" grossed $219M domestically and $222M overseas for a worldwide total of $441M.

Comments

The Senhman

Senh Duong

[b]He needs this...[/b]
Robin Williams hasn't had a box office hit since ... I don't remember.

Nov 20 - 12:26 AM

decoren45

Tracy Williams

[b]In Robin's defense[/b]
It's true that Robin Williams hasnt had a box office hit in a while. However, since when is a box office hit a measure of talent. Robin Williams has been doing some really good work lately, actually some of his best work. It just hasnt appealed to the masses. For example, I seriously doubt that something like "the Machinist" is going to be a box office hit, however, Christian Bale and Brad anderson have made a masterpiece. Some things you do for money, some things you dont.
However, with all that said, I seriously think that the mere idea of a "doubtfire sequel" is a really really really bad idea.

Nov 20 - 05:57 AM

The Senhman

Senh Duong

[b]Right...[/b]
Was just testing this comment thing. Yeah, he's been doing great work recently. I really like One Hour Photo and Insomnia, both did quite well at the box office actually. Insomnia made $67M.

I guess after critical failures like Flubber, Father's Day, Patch Adams, and Jakob the Liar, he felt like he needed better material.

But now, he probably feels like he needs to get back to the public's consciousness.

Nov 20 - 11:00 AM

The Senhman

Senh Duong

[b]Right...[/b]

Nov 20 - 11:00 AM

kenporules

Selur opnek

I loved both One Hour Photo and Insomnia, but part of me is missing his comedy side. Haven't seen a funny Robin Williams in a genuinely good movie in years, regardless of how fantastic his drama is (even the mediocre reception to Final Cut probably has a great performance).

I really hope this movie works. There's way to many bad sequels to good comedies being released.

Also, this new comment thing is great. =)

Nov 20 - 11:53 PM

Pongky

Pongky Nataatmaja

Uh, of all the sequels to do... why did they think ms doubtfire needed one? Did it do that well in video and BO numbers? I, uh, really didn't like the first, and aren't interested in this second installment.

Nov 21 - 01:31 AM

The Senhman

Senh Duong

[b]You fool![/b]
Read the goddamn article, Pongkass! It made almost half a billion world wide.

Nov 21 - 03:02 AM

The Senhman

Senh Duong

[b]You fool![/b]
Read the goddamn article, Pongkass! It made almost half a billion world wide.

Nov 21 - 03:02 AM

Pongky

Pongky Nataatmaja

[b]^ Meh, too lazy to read[/b]
and what are you doing still up at 3am? ... check it, I'm up at 4am, beat ya

Oh and ms doubtfire had NO business doing so well, raking in all that dough.

Nov 21 - 04:04 AM

batkisses

Amy Clark

[b]Well...[/b]
I enjoyed the first Mrs. Doubtfire movie. I don't think there is any thing to be gained by a sequel. It wasn't left open-ended enough for one to follow logically. (But then, logic in movies?) Also, I think it is too long to wait for a sequel. Ie's been over 10 years! The audience the movie would be geared to isn't going to remember the first one unless the see it on video right before they go see the sequel. I think this is going to fail BIG TIME if it really ends up getting made...

Nov 21 - 07:11 AM

codgie2

Clarissa Codrington

[b]useless...[/b]
I loved the first one. There is no need for a sequel. Then again, that isn't why people do sequels. They seem to do it for the money, and there is at least a little to be made in this. That said, I'll probably still see it, just to see how they do it!

Nov 21 - 10:16 AM

Tai

Tyler Crea

This movie really does need a sequel. There were so many unanswered questions left by the first movie.

Nov 21 - 07:27 PM

decoren45

Tracy Williams

[b]Unanswered Questions?[/b]
I wont rag on the fact that it has been years that the original block buster hit came to theaters. Look at the time between the first "Terminator" movie and the second. The second surpasses the original in every way.
However, honestly.... quite honestly I will stick with my first posting.... a Mrs Doubt fire sequel is a really really bad idea. It would be better to do a movie similiar to Mrs Doubt fire rather than make a sequel... maybe.... a "tootsie" remake? ^ _^

Nov 21 - 10:03 PM

Tai

Tyler Crea

I was being sarcastic.

Nov 22 - 04:33 PM

decoren45

Tracy Williams

[b]HAHAHA[/b]
I figured as much haha.. I was hoping.. actually praying you were not serious hahaha..

Nov 22 - 10:23 PM

decoren45

Tracy Williams

[b]HAHAHA[/b]

Nov 22 - 10:23 PM

Marv

mark gagne

this is a really crappy idea.

what would be the need for a sequel?
it was an ok movie back in the day, but the man in drag thing for laughs has been done enough.
how about something truly original to capture the manic, comedic energy trapped inside mr. williams and not some retread of an early 90's mediocre comedy.

Nov 22 - 01:11 PM

RT-Mark

Mark Moran

I don't get it. Doesn't his ex-wife already know that he was dressed up? Didn't he already steal her back from Pierce Brosnan? Isn't he on some cable TV show at Ms. Doubtfire?

The best part of the first movie is seeing how he gets away with it. What is there to get away with in a sequel?

Nov 22 - 02:38 PM

The Senhman

Senh Duong

Pierce Brosnan...maybe that's why. Back then, he wasn't that big yet. Maybe they figure they can take advantage of his post 007 popularity, and team him up with Robin Willaims again.

Nov 22 - 03:09 PM

RT-Mark

Mark Moran

But .. is he even in the remake? Or Sally Fields for that matter?

I dunno .. I think I'd rather see him do another "Good Morning Vietnam" type of comedy than to re-hash something that wasn't necessarily all that good to begin with.

Honestly, the only reason I watched Ms. Doubtfire (on video 3 years after the release) was because I heard it was filmed down the street from where I was living in S.F. (which it was ... pretty neat).

Nov 22 - 03:40 PM

The Senhman

Senh Duong

Nov 22 - 03:09 PM

RT-Mark

Mark Moran

But .. is he even in the remake? Or Sally Fields for that matter?

Nov 22 - 03:40 PM

RT-Mark

Mark Moran

But .. is he even in the remake? Or Sally Fields for that matter?

Nov 22 - 03:40 PM

John Terra

NNNNNNNNNNNNooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why? WHY?!?!?!?!

Nov 23 - 04:32 AM

snowflakebebe

snowflakebebe snowflakebebe

Yeah it will not be a cute as the first since the premise will be seriously forced. He can't fool anyone anymore so what will the story be? Anyway One Hour Photo was a masterpiece to me and he was amazing. I loved Mrs D but please don't do it again. Isn't there anything else funny out there he can do if he wants to do another big comedy?

Nov 23 - 06:50 AM

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank