Bane of Fanboy Existence to Remake Corman "Classic"

Very few genre filmmakers have had to deal with such outspoken animosity from the movie geeks of the world, but director Paul W.S. Anderson seems to be the movie world's #2 whipping boy. (#1 would obviously be Uwe "Alone in the Dark" Boll.) If you're among those who sneer at every one of Anderson's projects, well here's some new fodder for your cannon: the guy will be writing and directing a remake of Roger Corman & Paul Bartel's "Death Race 2000" for Paramount. The new version will be called "Death Race 3000" and here's what Mr. Anderson had to say about the project: "The original was so much about decimating pedestrians that the actual race was almost irrelevant, and I want to restore that ... Set in 2020, ours is an ultraviolent, no-holds-barred race with heavily armed Escalades, Ferraris and Aston Martins." Not to be confused with the quieter Paul T. Anderson (of "Boogie Nights" fame), Paul W.S. Anderson is the director who brought us "Mortal Kombat," "Event Horizon," "Resident Evil," and "Alien vs. Predator."

Comments

iamnotphotogenic

Rusty Clark

Can we please have Sylvester Stallone in this one too?

Mar 23 - 11:54 AM

The Senhman

Senh Duong

And I actually enjoy those films! Personally, I think he's a solid genre director. He doesn't do anything revolutionary or ground-breaking, but he does get the job done reliably.

Mar 23 - 12:25 PM

Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

I dig "Resident Evil" just fine and I realllllllllly enjoy "Event Horizon" a whole lot. (Word is that we might finally be getting an extended director's cut DVD of EH!) "Soldier" is middle-of-the-road mindless eye candy, "Alien vs. Predator" is pretty bad but still watchable, and "Mortal Kombat" I just don't dig.

What I find annoying is that everyone seems to pile on Paul W.S., and yet guys like Brett Ratner and Adam Shankman are seemingly adored (or ignored). And I'd take six hours of Paul WSA over five freakin' minutes of Adam Shankman....

Mar 23 - 01:08 PM

The Senhman

Senh Duong

I like Event Horizon a lot too. Soldier, I can't blame him too much because Kurt Russell broke his ankle - during the garden scene, of all things - and all action scenes involving him had to be either scrapped or heavily simplified. If you watch carefully, you'll notice that they had to shoot him waist up during most of the action scenes. Mortal Kombat was ok; I appreciate it a lot more after watching the sequel.

Paul W.S. Anderson is, at least, technically competent, and his films have no pretense.

Mar 23 - 02:07 PM

Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Mar 23 - 01:08 PM

The Senhman

Senh Duong

Mar 23 - 02:07 PM

The Senhman

Senh Duong

Mar 23 - 02:07 PM

Aram Fingal

D S

[b]Wow[/b]
Flamebait posted as news, cool.

Mar 23 - 03:59 PM

Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Feel free to elaborate on your comments...

It's a well-known fact that a large portion of the online movie community pretty much despises PWSA. Me, I think the guy's OK, so why would I try to trash him? I'm just stating what I've read over and over and over.

Mar 23 - 06:50 PM

Aram Fingal

D S

I just think you should stick to the facts and ignore the "fanboys." This isn't news, it's an editorial, and not a good one at that. Strip out the flamebait and you'd have a perfectly acceptable piece of movie news.

Mar 24 - 07:03 PM

245_trioxin

thomas carter

i think p.w.s.a. is hit or miss on a lot of his projects. but who knows....this might redeem him for avp

thomas of the living dead

Mar 23 - 05:29 PM

Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Feel free to elaborate on your comments...

Mar 23 - 06:50 PM

Aram Fingal

D S

Mar 24 - 07:03 PM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

I enjoyed Event Horizon a lot, and RE was OK too, and I'm a big fan of the games. Never saw AVP, but it can't be any "worse" for the initial two films than Resurrection was. Can it?

Mar 24 - 08:43 AM

sideburnz

Chuck Lentz

i enjoyed his films for the most part but hated AvP. and why is it called Death Race 3000 if it is set in 2020!!!!!

Mar 24 - 06:06 PM

Aram Fingal

D S

Mar 24 - 07:03 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer