Signing "X-Men 3" Director Was a Piece of "Cake"

Although the news has been reported here and there for the past several days, Variety has just confirmed it: director Matthew Vaughn has been handed the reins to the "X-Men" franchise. Longtime producer of Guy Ritchie's films ("Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels," "Snatch") and first-time director in his own right (his "Layer Cake" hits screens in a few months), Matthew Vaughn will step behind the camera for the second sequel in the "X-Men" series. With Bryan Singer graduating to "Superman" for WB, Fox was on the hunt for a solid young filmmaker to keep the "X-Men" adventures rolling, and apparently they liked what they saw in his colorful crime drama "Layer Cake."

Comments

pennydinawoods

Rasheeda Smith

I wish that dude luck, because Singer's done a great job with those two X-Men films.

Mar 23 - 12:22 PM

Spike1967

Frank Cogan

Let's all face it, Singer is not involved with this one, which is sad. Let's hope this guy can do something special X3.

Mar 23 - 01:50 PM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

I have a soft spot for people just starting out, so I'm behind this guy all the way and shall hope for the best. I wish him the best of luck.

Mar 23 - 02:33 PM

gowansy

First Last

i'm from the UK and guy ritchie is a big man over here, lock stock and snatch are amazing. i have yet too see layer cake but i've being told its rather bloody good for british cinema! if this guy has anything too do with guy ritchie then i have some confidence in this and i hope the guy does a cracking job, just like singers.

Mar 23 - 04:29 PM

Undercova Brotha

Anton Jackson

We will all keep our eyes peeled. Here's the best of luck to him. The pressure might be on from here on out...

Mar 23 - 06:20 PM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

Oh, another thing... normally I find puns annoying, but the one they used for this title was pretty good.

Mar 23 - 09:22 PM

loudharley

philip napier

Yea man that pun was comic genius ,im being sarcastic by the way.Anyways i loved lock stock and snatch is one of my favorite movies so i feel like x3 is more than likley in very good hands.Still i dont understand why singer would leave a fresh franchise like xmen to do superman which in my opinion has been way over done in film and television.

Mar 23 - 10:40 PM

Aoiboy

Aoi Boy

Oh, please, please, please, get the whole project right... Xmen is my favorite superhero saga (X2 was AMAZING). Even though it's hard to imagine a third installment helmed by other than Synger, I am willing to give this guy a chance. I just hope that the same people are once again behind the script (Tom De Santo, etc), 'cause that is to me even more important than who's sitting in the director's chair... And I want Phoenix ! ^_^

Mar 24 - 12:21 AM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

And that's what you'll get, Aoiboy. I heard you-know-who has already signed on, and she wouldn't have done that if... well, you can probably guess the rest.
Well gosh, Loudharley, I appreciate your misspelled sarcasm. A little sarcasm makes the comment more interesting, and that's something I always thought, so I'd better mention that, in fact, I was being sarcastic when I said the punned title was good.

Mar 24 - 02:01 AM

ploodie

steve forsyth

[b]I hate Bryan Singer![/b]
After all his ballyhooing about how he was antsy to get X1 over with so he could do X2 and 3 - he up and drops the potato as soon as Superman waggles his tight red butt at him! I think X3 is doomed with a first-time director, and I have serious plans to personally boycott Superman remake - WHY DO WE EVEN NEED A REMAKE? THE ORIGINAL IS ONLY 30 YEARS OLD! I don't think any action movie post Star Wars ought to be remade!

Mar 24 - 10:54 AM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

Okay, Ploodie, don't be shy. It's okay to express your opinions. Don't hold back, just be yourself and let us know exactly what you think. I mean, this is an anonymous website so who's going to know who you are?

Mar 24 - 04:03 PM

MrJillis

Joshua Willis

[b]Make or break[/b]
For the money that they will end up throwing at this movie this guy would want to be good. I believe that this movie is so so important to the entire franchise, because there is so much life and story in it. I hope they introduce some of the good classic characters, beast gambit and juggernaught. and bugger off cyclops and well....cyclops. Oh and a question what other route could they explore if it wasn't going to be the dark Phoenix story?

Mar 24 - 04:36 PM

loudharley

philip napier

Yea i know i mispelled a word ,Im not trying to write a novel here ophiuchus and i just dont feel the need to spellcheck everything . I was just messing with you ,sorry i offended your sensitive little heart.Anyways as for xmen 3 ,i heard that gambit was only gonna be in it for a brief moment,if this is true id rather he not be in it at all because theres a lot of story that could be told with his character.As for beast im cool with him being in the movie,im just not sure how a big blue hairy man will go over on film.

Mar 24 - 11:23 PM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

Hey, no harm done. I'm A-OK. I was just teasing you.
I always liked Beast in the TV series, so I hope they put him in. As for Gambit... can't remember him too well.

Mar 27 - 08:41 PM

jeanpaul

solomon sassoon

[b]Bryan singer had sense.[/b]
Hey, I'm sick and tired with all those complaining about Singer committing to the "Cool blue dude", instead of the X-men! What the heck? He's bored with the Xmen, and truth be said-- I know I'm gonna get you all furious with this one-- most people are too! X1 was good, X2 was mediocre at best (nobody will say it out loud, is all)! Bryan Singer had sense to leave the X's before thier "plunge"... and to move on to a superhero MOST are CRAVING to see BACK where he belongs!

Mar 27 - 12:34 PM

loudharley

philip napier

Dont worry, i never get angry at someone for making there opinion heard but i must say that your opinion couldnt be more wrong.Xmen 2 made a lot more money than the first,even the critics liked it more and i havent heard anyone that likes this type of movie say that x2 was awful.Now for my opinion,personally i thought x2 was in the top 5 best comic book movies of all time and i also wish the new guy luck with x3.I guess it all just really comes down to what ya like ,we all have different taste .

Mar 27 - 10:54 PM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

I loved number 2 as well. One of my all-time faves. A bit worried it mightn't be as good with a different director, though.

Mar 28 - 03:35 PM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

Still a bit ticked at Bryan for backing out on this one but that's probably because I'm not much of a superman fan (if he was leaving to do Batman maaaaybe....) but I wish this new guy the best of luck!

Mar 27 - 01:58 PM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

Hey, no harm done. I'm A-OK. I was just teasing you.

Mar 27 - 08:41 PM

loudharley

philip napier

Mar 27 - 10:54 PM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

Mar 28 - 03:35 PM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

Mar 28 - 03:35 PM

topher4

Topher Pryce

I loved the first two movies. The X-men and Spiderman movies are the best superhero movies ever made in my opinion. Im just glad that X-3 is even getting made with all the talk of certain actors not returning and Singer leaving the project. I just hope this new director doesn't screw it up.

Mar 28 - 05:56 PM

loudharley

philip napier

Singers departure just goes to show u that maybe he just wasnt pasionate about the serious anymore,maybe it was the best thing for the xmen films that he is gone.No one really knows what x3 will turn out to be but maybe this new director will do it better than singer,maybe he wont.I just hope he doesnt go with all that matrix style fight scenes that seem required in all these films these days .

Mar 28 - 10:00 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office