Trailer Bulletin: Brokeback Mountain

It's currently playing at the Toronto Film Festival, but Ang Lee's "Brokeback Mountain" doesn't open theatrically until December 9th, which means this theatrical trailer is all you're getting for the next few months. "Set against the sweeping landscapes of Wyoming and Texas, this epic love story tells of two young men -- a ranch-hand and a rodeo cowboy -- who meet in the summer of 1963 while driving cattle on a mountain range. They unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection, one whose complications, joys and tragedies provide a testament to the endurance and power of love."

The potentially controversial film stars Jake Gyllenhaal, Heath Ledger, Michelle Williams, Anne Hathaway, and Randy Quaid.

Comments

lovelykeira

Ken Schrock

Not potentially but definitely controversial. It looks interesting though and it's got a good cast.

Sep 13 - 01:49 PM

Aoiboy

Aoi Boy

[b]Controversial ?[/b]
Why ? Because it's a gay love story ? Gimme a break, it's 2005 already, not the 60's like in the movie ! The only controversy that this movie may create is among Hollywood execs, debating why the gay characters are not "fag" stereotypes like in every other movie they put out there...

The acting and direction looks top-notch... yeah, even the "Princess Diaries" girl is getting praise for her acting in this, so kudos to Ang Lee.
"Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" is still in my all-time top ten movies !

Sep 13 - 03:12 PM

Absinthe76

Bruce Wentworth

[b]Hulk is still in my top 10...[/b]
...comic book movies...

...from Marvel...

Watching HBO's Deadwood on DVD this last week, I've been thinking more about westerns and cowboy movies, and I'm suprised this angle hasn't been done more. I'm a little hesitant to watch Heath and Donnie Darko bat eyelashes at one another down on the farm, but if it does a good job with breaking stereotypes AND telling a compelling story that doesn't hinge on the sexuality element alone, I'll be there with spurs on.

Sep 13 - 05:31 PM

VML

Victoria Leduc

I'm so looking forward to the movie! I think Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal make such great chemistry! :D (That film is like fan-service, if you know what I mean!)

I'm guessing a movie like this isn't that controversial for most people nowadays. Is it because more people tolerate homosexuality? Or do people just accept gays more if they LOOK straight (if you notice, most men who like lesbians like ones who look straight)? I'm not saying that gays are suppose to look like "fags". In fact, Heath and Jake are sexy at not acting like "fag" stereotypes.

Sep 13 - 10:51 PM

mlbartlett

Michael Bartlett

[b]Moving Away from the Stereotype[/b]
I'm very excited about this film as well. Hollywood has been afraid to portray gay people outside of the typical stereotype forever.....Birdcage, Kiss of the Spiderwoman, etc. because reality is too threatening for the average American who feels threatened by an average masculine man in love with another such man.

Actually, straight people are more comfortable with the effeminant gay stereotypes, it is the "just like me" or "straight acting" gay man that threatens people/society. And, most gay men and women are like the average American, just have a different sexual need than others. That's why you guys out on the range, need to just come on out to your cowboy friends and those sitting next to you.

Sep 19 - 01:44 PM

pota1967

David Jones

[b]I wonder[/b]
If the original title wasnt Bareback Mountain ;-)

The Hulk continues to suck--I swore off seeing movies in a theatre but i just may go and see this if it gets good reviews.
Love between 2 consenting people (adults) should never be controversial

Sep 14 - 08:02 AM

ffinixs

nick yastremski

This movie won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival so I guess it must be worth seeing. I do think that it might flop not because people aren't ready to see a movie about homosexual love but because it's embarassing. How many people would be willing to go up to the box office stand and ask a ticket to that gay cowboy movie and then stand in line in public. I mean I'm kinda embarassed to even ask two tickets to a chick flick even though I don't mind those types of movies.

Sep 14 - 03:45 PM

VML

Victoria Leduc

I wouldn't say that it would be embarrassing to see that movie, especially because lately people have been praising the film.

Sep 14 - 07:11 PM

VML

Victoria Leduc

Sep 14 - 07:11 PM

QTRules

Tony Ciccarello

Most men don't want to go see a movie where guys make out. It is just nauseating to watch. I have nothing against gay people and they should have the right to do what they want, but that doesn't change the fact that most men (and women too, probably) don't want to see a movie about gay cowboys. I watched the trailer and it looks well-done, but it still grossed me out a bit...that's the just the reality.

But I bet it had a micro small budget and the controversy will probably make it profitable, especially with DVD.

Sep 15 - 12:24 AM

mlbartlett

Michael Bartlett

[b]Moving Away from the Stereotype[/b]

Sep 19 - 01:44 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

I wonder which one will go down on his horse?

Sep 19 - 05:54 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

I'm looking forward to this movie, but all I could think about when I first heard about it was Cartman on South Park when the film festival came to town. "All independent films are about gay cowboys eating pudding"

Sep 20 - 06:31 AM

fastlad

dara ryan

[b]The story is a masterpiece[/b]
I just read the story on which the film is based and I have to say it's one of the most moving tales about love that I've ever read. So I'm not surprised that it won best film at the Venice Film Festival.

Oct 9 - 08:37 AM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel