Miner Tapped to Direct "Day of the Dead" Remake

Variety reports some good news/bad news for the horror fans. The bad news is that Millennium Films has decided to mount a remake of George Romero's "Day of the Dead." The good news is that they at least got a veteran horror-slinger to direct the thing.

"Romero wrote and directed the original, which follows a group of scientists and military personnel holed up in an underground bunker because the world above is overrun with zombies. The lumbering flesheaters eventually find a way in and wreak havoc on the scientists who've been experimenting on their undead brethren."

The "Day" remake will be written by "Final Destination" scribe Jeffrey Reddick, and the director will be Steve Miner. In no way a stranger to the genre, Mr. Miner has directed such fright flicks as "Friday the 13th Part 2," "Friday the 13th Part 3," "House," "Warlock," "Halloween: H2O," and "Lake Placid."

Comments

se7en85

Tristian Clark

these remakes are getting out of hand...

Nov 1 - 02:09 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

Remakes are like zombies; ya' just can't kill 'em!

Nov 1 - 06:38 AM

Darklighter

Dean Simon

I haven't seen the original Day of the Dead, but if it is as bad as the original Dawn of the Dead I'm glad they're remaking it. The Dawn of the Dead remake was a lot better than the original in my opinion...and I'm sure a lot of you will not agree. At least the remake didn't end with a gang of bikers riding through the shopping mall splating pies in the zombie's faces like the original did. Lame.

Nov 1 - 09:55 AM

nekrofile

justin wright

[b]HEY dorklighter are you friggin retarded?[/b]
One if you never seen the original day of the dead you shouldnt even be comenting. Two. the original dawn of the dead is and will always be a classic. nothing less than that. i hope george romero sh1ts in your wheaties. you probably just loved house of the dead didnt you? you must be uwe boll's biggest fan. your probably just some young kid that has only seen the horror movies of the late 90's and know nothing of true, GODLY horror. you make me throw up in my mouth.

Jul 7 - 06:16 PM

9killer

nick Blanton

[b]Darklighter is a MORON!!!!!!![/b]
You've never seen Day of the Dead??!!?@ok you dont know jackshit about zombie movies if you havent seen that one.Now I somewhat enjoyed the remake of Dawn of the Dead but it didnt hold a candle to the original.Hell it didnt even deserve to have the name in the title.Now what is LAME is that you never seen DOTD!!! Thats lame.( if your a complete idiot what DOTD means DAY OF THE DEAD)You probably think movies like House of the Dead and Scream triology are masterpieces....BUT THEY ARE NOT!!!!!Its because of people like you that Uwe Boll is still making his GODFORSAKEN stupid movies!!!

Jul 7 - 06:36 PM

marvelxf4

C.J. Tuor

are you kidding me....are you saying that the MTV influenced cookie cutter remake was better than the cooky cool satirical originial.

Did you miss the social commentary of the original that was either butchered or totally ignored by the remake. The remake sucked the 1st one was creative, clever, and dare I say it original (that word has been ignored by modern hollywood).

as for the gang scene it shows how stupid and cruel humans can be no matter the circumstance.

So I'm sure this remake will be just as Great (note sarcasm)

Ban remakes

Nov 1 - 10:34 AM

Darklighter

Dean Simon

No, I'm not kidding you. I also did not miss the social commentary. My favorite Zombie film is the original Night of the Living Dead, which managed to have social commentary and do it in a manner that wasn't absurdly cheesy. If a horror film is going to have any kind of underlying meaning to it it should do so without losing the horror quality. That is where the original Dawn lost me. I felt it was too silly and that the zombies (basically people with their faces painted grey) made the film too cheesy to retain the horror/scare factor and that is why, although not the best zombie film ever, the Dawn remake succeeded in my opinion. That's just my opinion, and I don't want to have to come back here and defend it again.
And as a side not, Dawn of the Dead is the only remake I have ever liked better than the original film. If the original Day of the Dead cannot be improved upon, then they shouldn't do it. I'm usually on your side guys. Remakes in general do "suck".

Nov 1 - 04:16 PM

dawnofdead1982

mark poperowitz

amen!

Nov 3 - 07:04 AM

sauronthegr8

Marc Weathersby

[b]remakes[/b]
Remakes often suck and are usually the epitomy of corporate scams. Having said this, the Dawn of the Dead remake was actually okay. The first one is better, but this one was more of an escapist type horror film than a social commentary. I liked that it kept the basic premise, but went into its own story.... and the zombie baby. What I didn't like was the running zombies and how, like a lot of big budget movies, it tended to get a little too cute, and by cute i mean the dog. Plus, why didn't the zombies eat the dog? I mean, it is flesh once you get past all that loveable fur.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that something doesn't necessarily have to mean anything to be good. All it really needs is good acting and an interesting, well told story. We all know the bad shape the horror genre is in these days. This is a slight improvement.

Nov 1 - 11:27 AM

Reel 2/Dialogue 2

Jar Jar Binks

Jefferey is Furion! Kill the Reddick!

Sorry... had to be said. What's this about a "re... make"? ;)

Nov 1 - 11:56 AM

Peter Parker

Taylor Scaggs

The entire trilogy remade now, give it a few years and well see a land remake. Stop the fucking insanity.

Nov 1 - 12:12 PM

CrazyGhost78

CrazyGhost78 CrazyGhost78

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't be suprised if they made ANOTHER Night remake.

Nov 1 - 01:48 PM

CrazyGhost78

CrazyGhost78 CrazyGhost78

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't be suprised if they made ANOTHER Night remake.

Nov 1 - 01:48 PM

UweBoll

laurent de alberti

I am sure I read here there was going to be a sequel to Land of the dead, isn't it going to get a bit confusing if the Day of the dead's remake comes out at the same time?

I got extremely dissappointed by Land of the dead anyway, there was nothing original to it, just bits from the trilogy being put together, what a let down.

Nov 1 - 03:35 PM

Darklighter

Dean Simon

Nov 1 - 04:16 PM

South_park300

First Last

[b]To CrazyGhost78[/b]
"My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't be suprised if they made ANOTHER Night remake"

one step ahead of ya haha: http://www.nightofthelivingdead3d.com/main.html

Nov 1 - 08:18 PM

the_dude_abides

Elliott Goldbaum

[b]Night of the living dead 3d????[/b]
That looks like the most uncreative small-budget movie I've ever seen. However it says that makeup effects are by Star Jones, and she scares the crap out of me, so maybe it will be good. I'll look for it in my local gas station DVD rack.

Nov 2 - 01:41 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Just FYI, Star Jones is a man.

Nov 3 - 11:02 AM

the_dude_abides

Elliott Goldbaum

Just FYI, that was what is known as a joke. Maybe it wasn't funny, but it was still a joke.

Nov 3 - 01:25 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Sorry, the humor didn't come across (dangers of text when you don't have emoticons). I just figured you thought it was a female make-up artist with the same name as that other one. I apologize, no insult intended.

Nov 4 - 06:46 AM

the_dude_abides

Elliott Goldbaum

[b]Night of the living dead 3d????[/b]

Nov 2 - 01:41 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Just FYI, Star Jones is a man.

Nov 3 - 11:02 AM

the_dude_abides

Elliott Goldbaum

Nov 3 - 01:25 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Nov 4 - 06:46 AM

Saint_Angst

Brandon Rowells

I'm not holding out much hope for it, but if it turns out like the Dawn remake, it could be pretty cool. I think it's probably one of the only remakes I've ever enjoyed.

Nov 2 - 12:48 PM

dawnofdead1982

mark poperowitz

amen!

Nov 3 - 07:04 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Just FYI, Star Jones is a man.

Nov 3 - 11:02 AM

the_dude_abides

Elliott Goldbaum

Nov 3 - 01:25 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Nov 4 - 06:46 AM

Canesman11

Joshua Denson

I'll go see this movie as long as two things are carried over into the remake from the original:

The Captain Rhodes Scene
and
Bub (cause Bub might've been the coolest character in any zombie movie ever)

Nov 3 - 12:03 PM

the_dude_abides

Elliott Goldbaum

Nov 3 - 01:25 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Nov 4 - 06:46 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Nov 4 - 06:46 AM

speedy13

First Last

I think I am all zombied out. How many damn zombie movies have been made in the last couple of years?? Enough already. I don't think you can tell it in any other angle or way. Hollywood has definitely gone way too far with all these remakes. There must be some original ideas out there somewhere. Isn't there?

Nov 5 - 02:19 AM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

will the zombies be running like the Dawn remake, and was Zack Snyder too busy to direct? he did a good job on the Dawn remake, although the original is still a masterpiece. hope they do it well. if they expand the whole "experimenting on the zombies" parts of the film, we could definitely see some cool, disturbing shit.

Nov 6 - 06:13 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel