Special Olympians Find No Problem with Knoxville's "Ringer"

While the concept might sound more than a little tacky (a con man poses as a mentally handicapped man to defraud the Special Olympics), the officials for the actual games find no problem and take no offense with "The Ringer," the new Johnny Knoxville comedy set for release on December 23rd.

As reported by Variety: "The trickiest end-of-the-year marketing campaign isn't for an Oscar contender.

Fox SearchlightFox Searchlight faces a daunting marketing challenge with the long-simmering Farrelly brothers laffer "The Ringer," a feel-good comedy about ... a guy pretending to be mentally challenged to enter the Special Olympics.

Pic, which stars Johnny Knoxville and is directed by Barry Blaustein, hits theaters the Friday before Christmas amid all the year-end kudos heavyweights.

As with most pics in the Farrelly ouevre, auds can expect the usual quotient of suggestive quips and bawdy behavior. But Searchlight also promises a comedy that's uplifting as well, and has been playing up the pic's endorsement by the Special Olympics.

That org's Web site exhorts viewers to "grab your popcorn and head to your local theater" to see "The Ringer," which it describes as "off-the-wall, irreverently indelicate and yet ... inspirational."

It's not the first time the Farrellys have trod down this path, having dealt with the intellectually and physically challenged in "Dumb and Dumber," "There's Something About Mary" and "Shallow Hal." Still, the biggest affliction in the most recent Farrelly production, "Fever Pitch," was being a fan of the Boston Red Sox.

Special Olympics spokeswoman Kirsten Suto says the org endorsed "The Ringer" to help dispel negative stereotypes, particularly among young people. "We're working hand-in-glove with Fox Searchlight," she adds."

Comments

VML

Victoria Leduc

Wasn't there an episode of South Park that had Cartman pretending to be disabled and entering the Special Olympics?

Nov 28 - 12:34 PM

The Cunning Linguist

Jesse Fearins

There was. And he got his a$$ kicked by Jimmy because he was taking performance ehancing drugs.

Nov 28 - 12:43 PM

vladjags

Ricky Blitt

You can read my comments on another page on this site, but I'm the writer of the Ringer and South Park stole this idea after it was pitched to Matt and Trey back in 1999. Look on line and you'll see articles dating back to 2000 about this fixing the Special Olympics concept, so you'll know I'm telling the truth. We have tried to take the high road up to now but we've had enough. Boycott South Park and watch Family Guy instead. not just cause I wrote for it, cause at least they would never steal an idea in so blatant and hacky a way as Matt and Trey.

Dec 10 - 11:56 AM

The Cunning Linguist

Jesse Fearins

Nov 28 - 12:43 PM

lovelykeira

Ken Schrock

Well I'm glad that the Special Olympics are endorsing this film couse it looks pretty funny.

Nov 28 - 02:19 PM

Megan80

Megan E

How long was this movie delayed? A year? 2 years? It seems like forever.

Nov 28 - 02:41 PM

Roadhg67

Richard Wells

how poorly written was this article??

"While the concept MIND sound"

"Pic" instead of "The picture"

"ouevre" instead of "oeuvre"

along with the slang "pic" "auds" and "org"

You may be trying to sound intelligent with some of your "higher" vocabulary, but maybe you should proofread your work before you post it on a widely read site like RottenTomatoes.

Nov 28 - 03:48 PM

mizzoucritic

Sean Ludwig

Roadhg67, obviously you're either new around here or don't pay attention. The article is taken out of Variety, which is a trade publication. Variety uses short hand for the terms they frequently use. Picture is pic, Audiences is auds and so on.

But yes, Scott must've be tired when he wrote the intro paragraph - with "while the concept mind sound."

Nov 28 - 06:17 PM

Roadhg67

Richard Wells

I understand the lingo... it is just annoying to hear "auds" or "pics" in an article.. whether it be from Variety, Rotten Tomatoes, or any publishing.

Nov 28 - 11:26 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

I think you meant "any publication." And I'm sure lingo is here to stay, so you might as well get used to it :-)

Nov 29 - 07:08 AM

Roadhg67

Richard Wells

Nov 28 - 11:26 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Nov 29 - 07:08 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Nov 29 - 07:08 AM

Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

I'll cop to the "mind" glitch. That was all me.

The rest ... I choose to ignore. Thanks for reading. :)

Nov 29 - 07:53 AM

rcbaker87

Clay Baker

[b]Since the special olypics are endorsing it[/b]
Im might go see it without feeling bad. I remember the episode where Cartman prettended to be metally retarted so he can compete and beat everyone. But they all kicked his ass in every event. And Jimmy took Steroids.

Nov 29 - 04:52 PM

vladjags

Ricky Blitt

Dec 10 - 11:56 AM

JediX606

John Hedges

south park is more clever and original than family guy could ever dream of being. you probably didn't steal the idea from matt and trey, but you're coming off like a whiney brat... and it makes me want to start a boycott of your movie, even though i like johnny knoxville and wanted to see your movie. don't accuse matt and trey of stealing your idea. you both came up with a good idea, but they beat you to the punch. get over it, crybaby.

Dec 15 - 08:47 PM

Tysen

Tysen Yates

[b]South Park VS. The Ringer[/b]
If you ask me, the South Park episode was a lot better than The Ringer. I thought that movie was horrible. The fact that Johnny Knoxville is even considered an actor is retarded in itself.
A poorly animated fat kid pulled off the role better than he did.
And about the whole South Park vs. Family Guy thing, just watch the Cartoon Wars episodes of South Park. Their explanation of how a Family Guy episode is written sounds like it's the truth. Random jokes that have nothing to do with the plot are funny for a little while, but give me a break. In the words of Jimmy, "I mean...come on."

Jul 5 - 11:10 PM

Tysen

Tysen Yates

[b]South Park VS. The Ringer[/b]
A poorly animated fat kid pulled off the role better than he did.

Jul 5 - 11:10 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships