Japanese Community Protests "Geisha" Girls

Summary

Protest is brewing by the Japanese community prior to the release of producer Steven Spielberg's screen adaptation of "Memoirs of a Geisha" Chief among the complaints is the casting of Chinese, Malaysian, and Asian actors and actresses in the roles of Japanese characters, and primarily with Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi in the lead. Back to Article

Comments

phranq

Phranq Tamburri

[b]PATHETIC STEVE! [/b]

Is even the great Speilberg a hypocrit?
Is Zhang Ziyi the 'ONLY' bankable asian?

In Schindler's List I do not believe he cast german catholics in the roles of the victimized jewish leads!! I guess when it is close to home for him he makes the extra effort for not only authenticity but sensitivity as well!
Hell, in Amistad he went so far as to hire an AUTHENTIC AFRICAN for the lead.. to play an African slave!

But for Geisha... all bets are off! Are only Jewish and African-American stories worthy of such treatment and respect? Or are they the only communities who are 'loud' enough to make sure such disrespect doesn't occurr. What would happen if a white male with a southern accent played the lead role of African slave? Huh, Steve? Wouldn't happen in one of your movies, eh?
Perhaps this just shows on the other hand the TRUE TOLERANCE the asian community demonstrates over such discrimination, time and time again. So should the asian community really get riled up over this and protest wildly at the true offensiveness (like other groups routinely find opportunities to do) or be more mature than others and have a thicker skin. But then if no one defends them now over this offensive Geisha, then when Steven (eventually) makes his PC tearjerker about the WWII Japanese concentration camps he may 'thoughtfully' cast eskimos. (then again, for those who know history, an eskimo in Geisha would have been even less offensive than a Chinese!)

Signed,
A travelled and UNpolitically correct student of HISTORY of Italian and Polish immigrants

Nov 29 - 09:30 AM

cabezone

First Last

I don't see what the big deal is. I don't see the british all up in arms every time we cast and Australian with a shitty fake Brit accent to play one of them. I don't think that there was even a single Greek in Troy, hell none of them even tried to fake greek accents.

Nov 29 - 12:22 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

There would probably be less of a fuss over inauthentic casting in Asian-themed movies if there were more Asian-themed movies being released in America. Nobody cares if an Australian plays an Englishman because the majority of films have prominent caucasian characters, so caucasian-looking actors have plenty of opportunities to play all sorts of roles. If more films were made in the States that featured non-white players, people might care less about the casting in specific films like Memoirs of a Geisha, but since it's the single-biggest American production in years to feature Japanese characters, of course a little accuracy would be nice -- just to assure audiences that the filmmakers really tried earnestly to represent Japanese culture, and didn't just pick the biggest names they could find and hope no one would notice.

I myself think it's kinda of questionable that a non-Japanese author wrote the story, but hey, if it's well-researched and accurate I guess I don't mind. The film, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have the same respect and as prominent a representation of Japanese culture as it will be to moviegoers, that seems deeply problematic.

Also, it will be interesting to see the reaction in Japan, where Memoirs premiered today (since the protests mentioned in this article seem to refer to the Japanese-American community).

Nov 29 - 12:47 PM

mizzoucritic

Sean Ludwig

My question is why there weren't more adament protests when the cast of the film was announced. It's a little late now that the film has already been made...

Nov 29 - 09:53 AM

Clintnorth69

Wesley Eastwood

who cares, maybe there wern't any good japanese actresses for that role. The decision wasnt made to insult people

Nov 29 - 10:19 AM

Dragonpriest

Richard Ray

Acutally, there are plenty of great japanese actors in Japan and in the states. I own several movies made in japan, and many of them are better than the trash that is making millions at the box office.

Nov 30 - 07:47 PM

cabezone

First Last

Saying that there are Japanese movies better than most of the crap making millions in the states is kinda like saying you can beat up Webster. You might want to set the bar a little higher if you're trying to pimp something.

Nov 30 - 08:10 PM

xfumsterx

x fumster

Japanese and Japanese Americans care. It's ridiculous for anyone to say that there weren't any good Japanese actresses for that role. Japan is filled with gorgeous actresses that have been trained in the traditional arts. You can see many of them on NHK stations in the U.S. For Rob Marshall to think that a Chinese actress who has a 6-week "Geisha bootcamp" can embody something so inherently Japanese as a Geisha is a big slap in the face. If he actually hired an authentic Japanese actress, there would be no need for this boot camp, nor dialect coahes for them to learn English with a Japanese accent.

Chinese women are strong and more expressive. Japanese women (especially Geisha) are able to keep their emotions and opinions behind a rather stoic/submissive expression, yet can open their souls with one silent glance. It's a very different, inherently Japanese strength that no once can be taught in 6 weeks.

The dance sequence is an absolute farce. Japanese dance is again, reserved and expressive through it's controlled motions, not some flailing modern dance. They even took "artistic license" with the kimonos, adding fur collars and pleats in the sleeves. Again, silly since their is a deluge of available authentic kimonos that they could have used.

In the end, Rob Marshall and Steven Spielberg did all they could to make a "pretty picture" trying to appeal to the masses for a bigger box office, thereby sacrificing authenticity and credibility. I adored the book and was looking forward to the movie. Many Japanese did express outrage when the casting was announced, but it was ignored by the studios. Rob Marshall's response was that he could not find Japanese or Japanese American actresses that had the capabilities that he needed.

Most of my family and friends will not be adding to the box office or dvd receipts of this film. It's a shame because the studios will assume that there is no market for Asian-driven films, rather than taking the time to understand the differences. Hopefully someone will do an indie remake of it that we can respect.

Dec 7 - 11:10 AM

Wraithking

Billy Bob

"I think Ziyi Zhang, Michelle Yeoh and Gong Li are beautiful, wonderful actresses, but they are Chinese. I very much respected and enjoyed "Joy Luck Club" because it was pretty authentic. It is a story of the emotional life of Chinese women. Wayne Wang and Oliver Stone made a point to hire Chinese Actresses."

there's a simple problem with your statement.not all the actress in the joy luck club were chinese.

Tamilyn Tomita is japanese

Lauren Tom and Frances Nuyen I believe are both Vietnamese(someone correct me if i'm wrong) or at least South Asian.

You can look up the cast over at imdb.com under joy luck club.not that imdb displays their nationalities but it's evident by their names that they are not Chinese.
now,most audiences either didn't know or didn't care what "Asian" nationalities these fantastic actresses were when they watched them on the screen.They played their parts well and frankly that's all that matters.I don't seem to remember anyone complaining that these ladies played Chinese roles at the time that this movie was made.

Dec 9 - 10:32 PM

BearAmerica

Stephen Slish

[b]Such Delicious Irony[/b]
Anyone else notice the irony in the Geisha article? Some woman named Jessica Burkard is complaining about a lack of ethnic authenticity in Hollywood. Only in America.

This sort of thing always confuses me; all this outrage over something minor. When Samuel Fuller made the movie of his book The Big Red One, he did a lot of filming in Isreal. As a result, most of those Nazis you see in the background we actually Jews. Wore their yarmukas under German helmets.

It's all make believe. Hell Peter Jackson didn't cast REAL hobbits in Lord of the Rings you know. No real elves either. And I hear that in his next movie, King Kong isn't even a real ape :-)

Nov 29 - 10:26 AM

Gareth

Gareth von Kallenbach

Just got this e-mailed to me.

Agreed. I read the book while I was on a vacation back East years ago. My friend had it and told me how good it was. I was so into it, I read it every day and at night in bed the whole time I was there.

I am very disappointed in Spielberg, he should know better. What a slap in the face of the Japanese who are much more of an integral part of this country than the Chinese (economically and otherwise). However, as for actors, Chinese are much more well known worldwide than the Japanese are as they stay more in their own country (movies). I think he was thinking with his other head when he (they) chose these actors. The lead actor is beautiful as well as known.

It was and is a beautiful story (I wanted to read the book again before seeing the movie, but I don't have the time). I would have preferred that he kept it real and hired Japanese actors; there are some very, very good ones. Shame on him.

So, Gareth, thank you; you are right on.

Karen Lewis

Nov 29 - 10:47 AM

sorjue

James Lee

[b]History[/b]
I'd like to know why this is an insult. If it's because the people are Chinese playing Japanese, I can sort of understand (but I still don't agree). If it's because of the history between the two countries then i cannot understand. Japan has always been the aggressor towards China. It is the Japanese that slaughtered hundreds of thousands of Chinese (and still refuse to acknowledge this) as well as use Chinese women as sex slaves (what they did to Koreans is even worse). And for the person who says Japanese contribute more to the US, I find it funny how you can make such a stereotypical statement. That is a slap in the face to all Chinese Americans who contribute to the US (and even joined the American army in WWII to fight the Japanese).

So if it's because they want a Japanese person to play the Japanese roles I can understand that and respect that although I think that's a little short sighted. They should choose the best actress for the role regardless of race. This slagging of Speilberg and comparing it to Schindler's List is ridiculous. Ralph Fiennes isn't German (or a Nazi) so should that have excluded him from Schindler's List? Ben Kingsley won an Oscar for Ghandi but the last time I checked, he's only half Indian/Half Jewish. So should he have been banned from Schindler's List? And for smurf's sake, Liam Neeson is IRISH AND CATHOLIC, not German. Funny how one of the ranters above only mentioned the extra but didn't mention the leads. I don't know much about Amistad. I know Hounsou is from Africa but I also know Anthony Hopkins isn't American yet he played John Quincy Adams (let's boycott!).

Plus, it's Hollywood, they never spend the effort to find "authentic" Asians. Look at Lost. The Korean guy was born in the US and his Korean is atrocious compared to Korean born in Korea (my girlfriend is Korean and cracked up so much when listening to him in season 1, but is impressed with his improvement in season 2). However, I personally think he's a good actor, and since I'm not Korean, I didn't notice his accent being off. And therein lies the main point. The main audience for Lost is North America, not Korea. Just like this movie is made for North America, not Japan. If their main revenues for this movie is supposed to be Japan, then I guarantee you a Japanese person would be in the lead.

I'm surprised that people aren't complaining that a Japanese person didn't write the book. Bottom line, as long as the actors are a fit for the role and do a respectable job (unlike the parodies of Asians in films like Breakfast at Tiffany's), the creators of the movie have every right to cast who they want in the way they think will make the best movie AND make money.

Oh and one last thing. Remember who the Last Samurai was... was it a Japanese person? NO, it was Tom "Scientology is Cool" Cruise. At least this story doesn't have the Geisha character being Chinese or Katie Holmes!

Nov 29 - 11:18 AM

Rab75

Rab Bit

[b]Applause! Applause![/b]
447663 Sorjue,
You win my applause. You were honest and right to the point. Exactly! The book's not even written by a Japanese person. How come no one says anything about it?

WHO was the moron who said the Japanese community contributed more to the U.S. than the Chinese? That ignorant comment itself was an INSULT to those who died in the war fighting for America and the civilian victims who were inhumanely murdered and raped by the Japanese soldiers in China. Put down your novels and read more important things about the world. The world doesn't need another shallow ill-informed person. Please! We have plenty already.

There are too much hypocrisy and double-standardness in the world. One minute the Japanese were the U.S.'s worst ememies, and the next they are America's bestest friends?! Because.............................?.

By the way, I saw the film. It wasn't such a great film, anyway. And what's with all the westernised Geisha hair-dos with all those dangly bits and Michelle Yeoh's highlights??! COME ON!! CAN"T YOU PEOPLE SEE,! IT IS NOT MEANT TO BE AUTHENTIC!! If it was, they would've taken the historic accuracy seriously.

And to those who think they're witnessing a real geisha's life. I'm sorry to tell you this. You're in for a real disapointment! It 's fake. Those're ACTORS. They are just doing their jobs acting!! you didn't just watch a documentary of a real Japanese geisha who let a whole film crew follow her around for 20 years of her life to film this...

Anyway,the film was annoying. It was beautifully shot but it felt like watching a TV series.

And by the way, the Japanese TV series "Monkey Magic" was based on an ancient Chinese myth. it was an all-Japanese cast. You could argue that it was offensive to turn an ancient Chinese legend into a kid's comedy. Is it respectful? (Not that I think it was meant to be offensive and disrespectful.)

Of course I know how annoying it is when people generalise we're all one poeple and share the same culture and everything. some people are ignorant. But there's not much we can do about it.

And people make the same mistake over and over. Not many of us really learn from the past. Do we still wanna see people killing each other because of their greed? No, we don't! (maybe some do.) We don't wanna see the Nazis taking over the west and Hirohito taking over the east again. Do you realise how many innocent civilians died because some greedy people wanted more than what they already had. It's SICK!! How could we let that happen in the first place??!it's still a living memory. Some of those who witnessed it are still alive. It wasn't that long ago. My grandparents told me stories of their horriffic experiences. When people don't admit to their mistakes. it doesn't mean they're forgotten.

And we are so contradictory! Aren't some of us standing and breathing on our ex-enemy's soil? You're contradictory. We all are....sometimes.

May 7 - 04:10 PM

dracus

Cap Nord

This protest is nothing compared to what awaits Spielberg when he releases
'Munich'. Talk about a no win project for him! The Palestinian community is going to eat him alive if the movie portrays them as terrorists, and the Jewish community will if he doesn't.

Nov 29 - 11:36 AM

cabezone

First Last

Nov 29 - 12:22 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Nov 29 - 12:47 PM

Gareth

Gareth von Kallenbach

Great points Dracus. When they first announced Munich, it was said to be a recap of the killings at the Olympcs. Now we see that the focus of the film will be on the aftermath and the persuit and punishment of those that did the killings. It will cause protest, that is for sure.

Nov 29 - 12:36 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Nov 29 - 12:47 PM

JPBronsin

J p

Being Korean-American, I think it's great that ANY Asian would be cast in a major movie role in the US. I also think it's unfair to assume that the whole of Japan is against this film -- a small percentage get riled up and suddenly we're clumping them all together.

Most of the moviegoing public won't care about the ethnic merits, including me. If whatever Japanese communities are upset, perhaps they should've funded their own movie with the authentic casting and understand how hard it is to bank on unknown Japanese actors and actresses. If names like Zhang Ziyi and Michelle Yeoh can get people in the door to watch a truthful story about Asians, then more power to Asians.

At the same time, I hope they keep the Japanese language and customs at least somewhat realistic, or else it would be like those supposed Koreans in that James Bond film. It's only respectable if there's at least a decent portrayal of the language and culture. I didn't mind that they cast some Chinese in Starsky and Hutch for Korean roles, but WOW they couldn't speak Korean worth crap. As long as the research and realism is there, they could cast Mongolians or Laotians if they so choose.

Nov 29 - 12:49 PM

LaputanMachine

jerry ku

man, you're so white-washed it's sad. Wake up, man! The asian race is a white-created concept. No where in Asia is there a concept that "Asian people" exist as a singular culture. Not hard to figure out: 60% of the human race is "Asian", and guess what, they all have no clue they're supposed to relate to each other based on meaningless physical appearances! When you have 4 billion people speaking a thousand different languages, coming from dozens of different countries, do you really think they all come together and identify with each other based on something as stupid as race? Give me a break.

It's so sad meeting so many "Asians" in America who look at themselves through the eyes of white people. You honestly think Ziyi Zhang (who changed her name to be more white) gives a shit about Koreans or Korean Americans? God!

Dec 6 - 05:53 AM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

[b]YES![/b]
good for them! They have a right to protest. Everyone needs to realize discrimination and harassment comes in all forms and degrees. And it is highly subjective, simply put is it when your feelings are hurt! And if the Japanese community feels like this is an insult please do protest, please do speak up! thats what this country needs and thats what this country is founded upon free speech and freedom to protest!

The sentiment I can't stand is people who say they have no right and this is not an issue worthy of protest! Don't infringe on someone else's right to do so. Raise your voices loud and clear and be heard.

Nov 29 - 01:02 PM

cabezone

First Last

Yes they have a right to protest, just as I have a right to call them a bunch of ninnies. I think it's does more harm than good to protest every stupid thing that people want to call discrimination. It's similar to telling clerks that they can't say "Merry Christmas" or when schools can't celebrate Holloween for being afraid someone will get upset.

Screw all of that, Happy Holloween, Merry Chriastmas, Merry Ramadan, and Happy Honica. You don't like it? Too bad.

Nov 29 - 01:16 PM

tommers

Tom Whitnah

[b]An inteteresting and relevant website:[/b]
[url]http://www.alllooksame.com/[/url]

The surprising inability of both Asians and non-Asians to distinguish between people of Japanese, Chinese, and Korean dissent may be perpetuated by movies like Geisha, but I think this site makes it clear that the inability to discriminate between different facial characteristics is not something that arises primarily from one's attitudes:

The site owner's thoughts on these issues.
[url]http://www.alllooksame.com/opinion01.html[/url]

Nov 29 - 01:06 PM

kenporules

Tim K

Tommers - great website, particularly the article he wrote. By the way, I scored a 7 (which also happened to be the average), so evidently I'm a horrible racist.

Nov 29 - 09:00 PM

cabezone

First Last

Nov 29 - 01:16 PM

hello_world

Lily Phan

[b]hypocritical[/b]
I don't understand this "Jessica Burkard" character. Yes there's a history between China and Japan, but that was a long time ago. It certainly isn't helping to ease the tensions when people like her are complaining about interethnic relations such as this. You want to keep the two ethnicities separate for what happened maybe 50+ years ago?

The argument that chinese actors should not play japanese characters is ridiculous. No, you don't all look the same, but people from different ethnicities have played each other all the time. What's the big deal? You know what would be a big deal? If the movie portrays japanese culture wrong, then you have the right to complain. I'm sure this movie is guilty of that in some respects. But complaining about something as minor as a chinese actor playing a japanese character is just blowing something insignificant out of proportion. Jessica Burkard also compares this to a black person playing a caucasion character. WTF??? Chinese and Japanese are the same race! It's hardly the same thing. Oh, and I like how the japanese are analogous to the caucasions in her statement. Hopefully I read that one wrong *rollseyes*

Nov 29 - 01:43 PM

dale5

Dale Chung

"Jessica Burkard also compares this to a black person playing a caucasion character. WTF??? Chinese and Japanese are the same race! It's hardly the same thing."

Wait, so the Chinese and the Japanese are one race, but Caucasians and Africans aren't? Last time I checked, we're all human.

Nov 29 - 03:12 PM

Wraithking

Billy Bob

"Burkard explained that you would not cast people of African American or Hispanic heritage as Caucasians. "The perception is that we (Chinese and Japanese) look alike, and are the same, well we do not and are not the same and filmmakers should not make sweeping generalizations that are insensitive to our culture and heritage.""

While I agree that Chinese and Japanese are different they are not so different that their differences can be compared with those differences between Africans,Hispanics and Europeans.Her point of view is appallingly twisted.

Dec 9 - 11:08 PM

Robert Fuller

Robert Fuller

I appreciate their right to protest, but Jesus... pick your battles, people. Humanity's capacity to concern themselves with things that don't matter in the slightest never ceases to amaze me.

I do object to the accusations of racism and discrimination. Chinese and Japanese people may not look alike, but neither do British and Italian people, and yet no one would protest that sort of casting. At the same time, Chinese and Japanese people DO look alike, compared to, say, Chinese and Ethiopian. It's called acting. Get over it!

Nov 29 - 02:00 PM

jaydurden

jay durden

Well obviously it?s just not an important battle. I?m trying my best to understand the Japanese people but really I?m lost on that one. And who cares about their history, I don?t give a fuck if a German plays an American. I mean if he?s good, he?s so well?if the actors sucked in geisha and couldn?t portray Japanese culture, then I understand but it doesn?t seem to be the case. ?The last samurai? is really a fun example, it was a huge hit in Japan but doesn?t u think its way more offensive to have a white American actor playing to main role. Another thing is that Japanese actors are not famous in the us since the only successful movies made in Asia were from china and Hong Kong. The last thing, I?ve lived with Japanese and Korean people, I went to Japan two times and it?s true, Asian people (like white people) look alike (by the way, I took the test on http://www.alllooksame.com/, it?s fun but I didn?t do good). I mean you could say I look like an English guy, Australian, French, Spanish, Russian because for century now, culture have been mixing and it?s really though to find someone who ?look? American, French, German?.anyway, I don?t know much about the subject, maybe Japanese people should be pissed?

Nov 29 - 02:09 PM

dale5

Dale Chung

"The last thing, I?ve lived with Japanese and Korean people, I went to Japan two times and it?s true, Asian people (like white people) look alike (by the way, I took the test on http://www.alllooksame.com/, it?s fun but I didn?t do good). "

Well close the books, you've lived with asians and travelled to Japan. It's true: all asians look alike. As a Korean American, I don't care if one ethnicity portrays another in a movie, but there's no getting around that the lead is unmistakably Chinese. Do I care? No. But it's funny to see that actress dressed in Japanese attire.

Nov 29 - 03:19 PM

jaydurden

jay durden

Dale5 i really don't want to be misunderstood, I wasn't making a racial comment on asian people only , that's why i put white people in parenthesis. I do believe that's it's becoming tougher to make a distinction in a same race. I apologize for the comment about me living with asian people and going to asia because it's a dumb and simplistic comment from my part. I just wanted to point out that myself, being interested in japanese culture and having many friends from asia, I'm still confused when it comes to physical differences in a same race. but again the same can be said for every races....

Nov 29 - 03:33 PM

Enemy

Roland Eimer

This so called protest is downright racist.

Nov 29 - 02:10 PM

RocketPunch

Rocket Punch

[b]This film is an insult to Chinese, not Japanese[/b]
I don't think all Japanese think this is an insult to the Japanese culture, may be only a small group of ignorant people over there finds it insulting. However, I find it very insulting that Chinese actresses are being depicted as Japanese Geisha. LOL

My question is how come Japanese people doesn't find SONY insulting when most of their product is manufactured in China; Toyota's and Honda's being built here in America; Japanese films being adapted into crap Hollywood remakes; and killing endangered sperm whale claiming for scientific purpose but selling their meat as "Whale Burger" in high school cafeteria?? <--Isn't that insulting to the entire world??

Order your whale burger here:

Oh, I remember now, almost all Japanese domestic product are in fact made in Japan to protect their labor, while all their world domination business crappy exports are made in foreign countries.

The bottom line is I guess they are just angry that the money was made by Chinese actresses/actors and not Japanese actresses/actors.

Nov 29 - 02:42 PM

dale5

Dale Chung

Nov 29 - 03:12 PM

Wraithking

Billy Bob

Dec 9 - 11:08 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast