Jon Stewart to Host the Oscars!

Every news outlet, movie site, and cine-blog is reporting the news, so I'll just cite good ol' ComingSoon.net as our source, but there's the good news: Everyone's favorite comedic news host, Jon Stewart, has been tapped to host the March 5th Academy Awards broadcast, which automatically bumps the 'must-see' quotient up by about twenty-hundred percent.

"Los Angeles Times' The Envelope is reporting that Jon Stewart, the Emmy-winning writer-host of Comedy Central's The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, will host the 78th Academy Awards. The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed the news and the Academy is expected to make it official on Thursday morning.

Stewart previously hosted the Grammy Awards in 2001 and 2002.

Nominations for the 78th Academy Awards will be announced on Tuesday, January 31, 2006, at 5:30 a.m. PST, in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements for 2005 will be presented on March 5, 2006, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland, and televised live by the ABC Television Network beginning at 5 p.m. PST."

In addition to (brilliantly) hosting "The Daily Show," Mr. Stewart can be seen in films such as "Death to Smoochy," "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back," and "Big Daddy."

Comments

Aftermath_1551

Kanu Avasthy

OH MAN IM SO WATCHING IT NOW! WOOHOOO! JON STEWART FOR PRESIDENT!

Jan 5 - 03:39 AM

ndrage85

Brandon M

[b]Glad to hear the news.[/b]
The ceremony will still be stale as hell, but Stewart will be a nice addition.

Jan 5 - 03:39 AM

evilralphwiggum

Robert Alley

yay, Jon Stewart!

Jan 5 - 03:51 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Jan 5 - 04:33 AM

insanemansam5

Samuel Ewing

Wow! Props to the academy I might actually have to tune in for a bit.

Jan 5 - 04:50 AM

pota1967

David Jones

[b]one question[/b]
I like Jon Stewart as much as the next person but what does he have to do with movies?

Jan 5 - 05:14 AM

ndrage85

Brandon M

[b]what does he have to do with movies?[/b]
well, for one, he is an actor who has starred in plenty of movies. but in all honesty, when it comes to a host, i don't think it really matters. i think the only thing that matters is that the host does the job and at the same time brings a certain element to give a little bit of life to the presentation. you don't need to be in movies to do that. i'd love to see Conan O'Brien host the Academy Awards in all honesty. I think he'd do a great job, he did with the emmy awards.

Jan 5 - 05:21 AM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

[b]no he hasn't![/b]
no he has not "starred" in plenety of movies, he was a voice in Doogal? bunch of other cartoons, a few movie bit roles. Please look it up.

Funny how you poeple just kiss his ass and state things that are not true. Buncha sheep making noises because the rest of the flock is doing so.

Obviously I'm not a fan of his comedy, its really sarcastic and very obvious, its very dumb down and simplistic.

But I do agree he is a bad pick, he is too political, and the country is tired of the hollywood politics, 1 of the reason why people stop seeing movies. We want to be entertained not preached to or shown propaganda. Hollywood will never learn that. Actor and celebs think they are smarter than you, you are too stupid to know about africa, you are too dumb to help fight aids. You need to be told where to donate your hard earned money.

My Choice would be Leno or even Conan someone whos less political and more entertainment.

Oct 24 - 11:50 AM

ndrage85

Brandon M

[b]what does he have to do with movies?[/b]

Jan 5 - 05:21 AM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

[b]no he hasn't![/b]

Oct 24 - 11:50 AM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

[b]Now they'll be worse[/b]
I was going to avoid the Oscars anyway, but now it's a must. JS is funny enough on the daily show, but you need someone who's got a bit of impromptu(ness) in them and that's not Mr. Stewart. Hope it doesn't turn out like David Letterman for him, but it doesn't matter. The Oscars are a traveshamockery.

Jan 5 - 08:22 AM

hattori hanzo

derek knight

[b]Agreed[/b]
I liked the Oscars more when there were better movies to reward. For heavens sake Wallace and grommit took the top of the tomatometer this year. I have just found this year in movies more or less bland and predictible. No good action (I mean real action not CGI) exept for oldboy and Ong Bak. There are a few movies I havent seen that are up for oscars but in the most part, im unintrested, and this guy I have never heard of hosting it definently dosnt help the matter. That and the oscars being studiowhores. Bad studiowhores.

Jan 6 - 06:55 PM

jumpshed

Ben Johnston

This really isnt the place for you to try out your made up words you idmoroniot!

More importantly, what the heck are you talking about!? How can you say Jon Stewart isn't impromptu? If you've ever watched the daily show, you'd realise he makes a lot of "impromptu" jokes. Or did u mean the kind of impromptu that results in biting the heads off bats/ stage-diving, because I don't think Ozzy has the patience to last through 7 hours of celebrity ego-stroking.

Jan 5 - 08:46 AM

zeromark16

Mark Gougeon

I watch the whole thing every year, and Jon Stewart is definitely an improvement on Chris Rock.

Awesome

Jan 5 - 09:56 AM

insanemansam5

Samuel Ewing

I think the thing that makes me most interested in seeing JS at the academy awards is not anything from the daily show but his exception speech for best talk show

Jan 5 - 09:59 AM

lovelykeira

Ken Schrock

Hell yea, I'm with zeromark16 all the way on this.

Jan 5 - 01:08 PM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

The Daily Show, as I recall, is taped and edited -- so saying something is impromptu is like calling South Park live action... In the interviews I've seen with Stewart, he showed little on the spot wit and seemed a bit dull. As for my made up word, it wasn't mine -- comes from a beer commercial I believe.

As for replacing Rock, I guess we won't have any Jude Law jokes and horrified looks from Sean Penn. Too bad.

Jan 5 - 02:02 PM

jumpshed

Ben Johnston

"The Daily Show, as I recall, is taped and edited -- so saying something is impromptu is like calling South Park live action"

Im sure it must have been late when you wrote that because it makes absolutely NO sense. Sure it's taped and edited, but it's all performed live in front of a studio audience. It's not like they film a show, think up better quips for jon stewart and film new ones later! As for you thinking that JS has "little on the spot wit" and "seemed a bit dull"... well we're all entitled to our own opinion, however wrong it may be.

You clearly don't like the daily show so im guessing u have seen very little of jon stewart to actually make your mind up about him. I'll assure you - he's very funny and very quick. Unless of course... are you Tucker Carlson?

Jan 5 - 05:58 PM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

Sweet! This will be the first time in years that I will be watching the Oscars. Yay!

Jan 5 - 03:39 PM

jumpshed

Ben Johnston

Jan 5 - 05:58 PM

nolanurban

First Last

[b]YEssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs![/b]
Hell yes!

Jan 5 - 10:24 PM

inessalenin

Inessa Lenin

I read this new from Truemovie.com and some replied the post is "whoever host it, Audience rating still same low"
Seldom blockbuster films nominated!

Jan 5 - 10:50 PM

Flim Springfield

Robb P

Sweet. I hope Stephen Colbert makes an appearance as well.

Jan 5 - 11:31 PM

southfrisco

Dan Huck

[b]Ratings will still suck......[/b]
I am interested in seeing how Stewart handles himself, but I really don't think this move is going to give the lackluster awards show a boost. Does anyone remember Steve Martin a few years ago? YIKES....

I am not a Daily Show or Stewart fan. I just don't get all the praise for this guy. As a skit performer he is okay, as an actor he is so-so, as a host he is nothing special. As an interviewer he totally sucks. I have watched a few episodes of the Daily Show and some of the guests (being vanilla as the questions usually are) seem to have more wit than Stewart. He tries to make comebacks that mostly fall flat with me or he just laughs because he can't think of anything else to say. Just my take on the guy.

At least he won't be interviewing anyone on the show, I hope....

Jan 6 - 12:48 AM

Azik Blaze

Azik Blaze

All award shows suck. The only way I'd watch it is if the whole show was Jon tearing Tucker Carlson new ones with an Oscar statuette.

Oh you cannot go through life without having watched this video: http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2652831

Jan 6 - 03:38 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office