Bondmakers "Mads" About Their New Villain

Look like the next Bond flick, "Casino Royale," will feature not only a brand-new actor as 007 (Daniel Craig) but a relatively unknown Dane called Mads Mikkelson as the lead villain. Director Martin Campbell confirmed the news that Mads will play a villain named "Le Chiffre."

From Variety: "The evil Le Chiffre will be played by Danish thesp Mads Mikkelsen ("King Arthur"), announced "Casino Royale" helmer Martin Campbell on Wednesday.

As for the more burning question of who will play the Bond girl. Campbell disclosed the choice is now down to "two or three" but added, "You'll just have to wait to find out." Eva Green and Olivia Wilde are thought to be the finalists.

Bond himself will show his more sensitive side, Campbell said, in that the film, based on the first of Ian Fleming's 007 books, reveals how he became "the Bond we all know and love."

Cast and crew jet off to the Bahamas shortly to shoot a chase sequence at a seaside construction site, then return to Prague for studio and location work and move on to Italy and the U.K.'s Pinewood Studios."

Fans of foreign flicks might recognize Mr. Mikkelson from titles like "Open Hearts," "Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself," and two "Pusher" flicks.

Incidentally, there's already been a movie version of "Casino Royale," kinda. It was a comedy released in 1967, and it wasn't very good.

Comments

Aoiboy

Aoi Boy

[b]New Bond Chick[/b]
I read elsewhere that Eva Green is already confirmed as the new Bond Girl. I hope she is. She was the only thing good about "Kingdom of Heaven"...

Feb 16 - 07:17 AM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

[b]nice![/b]
I'd be all over that sh*t if its true! In kingdom of heaven they did something to her eyes and they literally just glowed like 2 bright stars! Eva Green is a hottie and a half!

Feb 16 - 10:35 AM

gta0012

Andrew Drayton

I think Daneil Craig (sp?) is going to be a kick ass Bond. And whoever the bond girl is going to be hot :P

Feb 16 - 10:38 AM

gta0012

Andrew Drayton

Feb 16 - 10:38 AM

lovelykeira

Ken Schrock

I though Edward Norton was the best part of Kingdom of Heaven as the leper king. But I do want Green to get the role over Wilde.

Feb 16 - 01:02 PM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

Either would be fine with me. Eva and Olivia are both hot stuff. Ive read the novel and its definately the darkest of them all.

Feb 16 - 04:26 PM

UselessRob

Rob McNugget

Has anyone read the novel? It's good, but not actually action packed for a Bond film. It's mainly card playing with the evil Le Chiffre. It's more to introduce Bond, but since we all know who he is already I'm not sure that will work? I'm guessing they aren't sticking to the book too closely?

Feb 16 - 06:02 PM

Reel 2/Dialogue 2

Jar Jar Binks

[b]Is this a requel or a premake?[/b]
If they do, they might amp up the action by treating the card games like Yu-Gi-Oh.

:: soap in mouth ::

Feb 18 - 09:48 AM

dbo

Diane Boley

[b]Mads Mikkelsen[/b]
I am looking forward to this movie now. Being a Bond fan and a Mads Mikkelsen fan I think it's a great choice. I feel better about Mads as Le Chiffre than I do about Daniel Craig as Bond. But I always give the new Bond a chance before I decide. I'm not real familiar with Craig's work, so I'll just have to wait and see on that one.
But Mads Mikkelsen does every role convincingly, he is a great actor, has a very strong presence and I'm sure will make Le Chiffre memorable as only he can!

Feb 17 - 06:56 AM

evil Jacquie

Evil Jacquie

[b]Let the Madsness in...[/b]
Yay! I love Mads Mikkelsen, he may be unknown to most Americans but he is an extremely talented actor, I love him in the dark comedy "The Green Butchers" and he is undeniably sexy in "Open Hearts". I admit it was his silently compelling Tristan in King Arthur that first got me interested, his death dealing dance and snarky comments were among of the things that made me want to see more of him.

Can't wait to see him on the big screen again, I have had to settle for what Netflix has to offer - happily found several real gems, like TGB, OH and Flickering Lights.

Feb 17 - 07:48 PM

Reel 2/Dialogue 2

Jar Jar Binks

[b]Is this a requel or a premake?[/b]

:: soap in mouth ::

Feb 18 - 09:48 AM

DjMovieGoer

DJ Hnd

i dont know about you guys, but pierce brosnan IS james bond and nothing can take that away from him

Feb 18 - 10:00 AM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

You must be too young to rememeber someone named Sean Connery, he was Bond, everyone else were imitators.

Feb 20 - 05:26 PM

hellhole

Ken Alleman

I'll always think of Connery as the number one Bond myself, and I don't think I'm alone. That said, Brosnan did do an excellent job in my opinion.

I'd also like to point out that Bond films often take huge liberties with the books they're based on, when they're not being totally rewritten outright. I wouldn't worry about the lack of action in the Casino Royale novel, because you can bet that there will be plenty to chew on in the movie.

Feb 20 - 12:04 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

Feb 20 - 05:26 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday