Tyler Perry "Madea" Few Million Bucks Last Weekend

Tyler Perry's follow-up to "Diary of a Mad Black Woman," "Madea's Family Reunion" had no trouble leaping to the top of the box office in its first weekend, handily satisfying its target demographic (and without any help from the film critics, tyvm). The flick snagged an estimated (and rather impressive) $30.2 million from 2,200 theaters, while fending off a pair of underperforming newcomers and a handful of hangers-on.

Aside from the #1 spot, the top five was populated by older titles, with Disney's "Eight Below" ($15.7m weekend, $45.1m total) coming in a distant second and spots 3 through 5 belonging to "The Pink Panther" ($11.3m weekend, $61m total), "Date Movie" ($9.2m weekend, $33.9m total), and "Curious George" ($7m weekend, $43.1m total), respectively.

A pair of new releases debuted rather inauspicously in Madea's wake: Weinsteins' "Doogal" managed $3.6 million from 2,300 theaters while the action thriller "Running Scared" scared up an anemic $3.1 million from 1,600 theaters.

Next weekend sees the release of three big titles: WB's action flick "16 Blocks," Fox's tweenie comedy "Aquamarine," and Screen Gems' futuristic thriller "Ultraviolet." Also opening on about 800 screens is Rogue's "Dave Chappelle's Block Party."

For a closer look at the weekend numerals, make a stop at the Rotten Tomatoes Box Office Page.

Comments

insanemansam5

Samuel Ewing

why do people like this stuff? I absolutely hated DOAMBW; I thought it was easily the worst film I saw last year do people just like gospel music that much? Or do they really relate to this stuff? or did Tyler Perry sell his soul to satan? My moneys on the third one I'd like to think that people aren't dumb enough to enjoy this though I'm probably wrong

Feb 27 - 08:09 AM

dudemovies

Mike Masselli

Madea's Family Reunion is the best movie of the 2000's so far. It was terrific and maybe if you seen it instead of just assuming it was bad your opinion would be different. I'm a white 17 year old male and I love this movie. The tyler perry movies are great Tyler has gone throguh so much and its nice to see that someone who was living in their car 10 years ago has a successful movie franchise. Family Reunion was a gizzilion times better than the Mad Black Women this has more Madea and less drama but the drama is extreme drama

Feb 27 - 02:00 PM

arisbot_vn5800

Aris Walsh

This is Oprah's fault.

Feb 27 - 03:26 PM

lovelykeira

Ken Schrock

Yea DOAMBW did suck, so I can't believe that people are stupid enough to help this one open so well. I wanted to go see Running Scared but it didn't open in my town so that pisses me off, I'm looking forward to Ultraviolet this weekend.

Feb 27 - 10:49 AM

TheBlackGuy

Arman Tanzarian

It never ceases to amaze me how some one can write off one bad movie, then say that they want to see two other bad ones.

Feb 27 - 01:56 PM

dudemovies

Mike Masselli

Feb 27 - 02:00 PM

arisbot_vn5800

Aris Walsh

This is Oprah's fault.

Feb 27 - 03:26 PM

sathington willoby

sathington willoby

i'm sure it blows, but i'd still rather see it than running scared or ultraviolet

Feb 28 - 01:31 AM

getomans

jon smith

I saw the movie last weekend and i can sure say that it is way better than Diary of a MAd Black Woman. I had a great time at the movies and i dont see why you guys are hating.

Feb 28 - 06:25 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast