Terry Schiavo Biopic On the Way

It's been about a year, so it only makes sense that we'd start hearing news about a Terry Schiavo bio-movie. And here it comes: A group of producers have purchased the rights to the book "Terri: The Truth," which was written by widower Michael Schiavo. As of yet, the producers are unsure whether this story demands to be told on the big screen or small, but I assume the phrase "highest bidder" will be somehow involved.

From Variety: "A year after Terri Schiavo died, Hollywood is looking to film her story.

A quartet of producers, including Mike Farrell and Lawrence Bender, have optioned the rights to Michael Schiavo's just-published book Terri: The Truth and are looking to develop it as a telepictelepic or feature film. Farrell and Bender would produce any project in conjunction with their respective partners, Marvin Minoff and Kevin Brown.

Schiavo's death on March 31, 2005, came after a years-long battle between Michael Schiavo, husband of Terri Schiavo, and her parents over when it was appropriate to remove the brain-dead woman from life support. What began as a family feud ended up a national political battle.

Comments

LimpytheTurtle

Antonio Lopez

Oh Goodness! Leave that poor women and her family alone you f'ing Hollywood hacks!

Apr 10 - 05:14 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Although I agree a movie shouldn't be made, you can't really say leave her family alone. The husband is involved, and I'm sure making plenty of money off of it.

Apr 10 - 06:29 AM

South_park300

First Last

it needs to be a television movie, no one wants to see this crap on the big screen. so i hope the studios save the promotion money and put it on CBS on a saturday night when no one is watching!

we'll also be seeing a tv movie about that recently freed girl from Iraq no doubt. MAKE MONEY OFF THE ONE'S THAT SUFFER!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO

.....seriously, this is stupid

Apr 10 - 05:16 AM

arpeggio191

Carl Myers

[b]someone kill me.[/b]
no no... kill them for having that stupid idea. The only thing good to come from that entire ordeal was them keeping Kenny on life support which prevented him from playing the PSP of justice and defeating the satanic forces in the battle of heaven and hell - southpark.

Apr 10 - 06:08 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Apr 10 - 06:29 AM

Hanniballistic

Ryan Berry

That's awful.

Apr 10 - 08:50 AM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

Gah.

Add my voice to the chorus crying out for Hollywood to please, please develop a brain, a conscience, or both. This is a terrible, stupid idea, not to mention a loser in terms of money. Seriously, who would see this movie? How many Michael Schiavo supporters are out there, willing to show their support with money?

None, that's how many.

Apr 10 - 08:58 AM

kuwaitgirl

Alberta Canada

I had to respond to the comment about how many Michael Schaivo supporters are out there who would show their support with money... I fully supported Michael Schaivo's choice and decision to allow his wife to die with dignity, without the interference of her parents. I am not much of a movie watcher and therefore might be only slightly interested in watching the movie if it were made, but I am interested in buying and reading his book. I guess that shows support with money, doesn't it? I firmly believe that one should have the right to be put out of their misery before they get to the point of drooling, being spoon fed, and having someone else change their diapers. I have only been married for three years, however my husband and I have already discussed that if one of us gets to the point of Terri Schaivo, to deny life support. I haven't been close to my parents for years, and it would surprise me if they tried to step in and tell my husband that I should be kept on life support against my wishes. Even though we still talk, they understand that when two people get married, that relationship trumps all other family relationships. I am appalled that the Schindlers chose to put their grief out in public and use the tempestuous political situation at the time to try and overcome their son-in-law's decision.

Apr 11 - 03:12 AM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

The fact is, she WAS close to her parents, who very likely knew her as well as her husband did. Michael Schiavo had no evidence of Terry's wishes, virtually every other witness or involved person spoke against him. Have you even read any of the testimony from the hospital staff? And we aren't talking about one or two people here. Have you read about the doctors involved? The judge?

There is room to doubt Michael's honesty, especially since he was engaged to be married to another woman and stood to inherit money when Terri died. He even used her tomb stone to make a self-serving message about himself.

Anyhow, I'm not rehashing this national debate here. Needless to say there are two sides to this story, one seems right to you and the other seems right to me (although I encourage you to do your research and not just go on feelings and relations to your own personal experiences). But we both agree a tragedy occurred. It is wrong to turn that tragedy into a spectacle, as you yourself imply the parents did in part. This is not a proper subject for film.

Apr 11 - 11:53 AM

Jofo1185

jonathan foster

Man this movie is going to be a sleep fest, bazing!

But really, that is ridiculous to do such a story...without a government conspiricy.

Apr 10 - 09:05 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

This ranks right up there with the news last week that an Indian producer wants Paris Hilton to play Mother Theresa in a movie about her life. I thought that was a joke too.

Apr 10 - 09:51 AM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

This is horrible! Why can't we just let this poor woman rest in peace?

Oh yeah, because tragedy is proitable.

Not to mention that this whole thing just screams Lifetime orginal movie.

Apr 10 - 10:56 AM

kenporules

Selur opnek

"The story is almost Shakespearean in the warring of the families and the great love story between the (couple)," Minoff told Daily Variety. "It starts off so beautifully and then ends so chaotically."""

Minoff can kiss the fattest part of my ass. More pathetic hollywoodization. Making money out of a tragedy is one thing - rearranging it to make it into entertainment for the masses is another. I know it's wrong to judge a movie before it's released, but that statement sounds like the sort of press-release easy to swallow over-exaggeration that I have little doubt the film will turn out to be.

Apr 10 - 12:57 PM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

I think it would work better if she was a boxer in the movie.

Apr 10 - 02:37 PM

IsThereLoveInSpace

Erik Larson

How exciting can watching a woman in a coma be?

Apr 10 - 03:41 PM

kenporules

Selur opnek

That's where the hollywoodization comes in, of course. It'll probably start with a shot of a grieving family or something, then cut back to young Terri partying at prom night with her friends followed by some recreations of her first date with her husband-to-be and general fun and happiness until the "WHEN IT ALL WENT WRONG" scene, where from then on we'll see dramatic over the top arguments between families and courts that will have the audience on the edge of their seat- come on, you all know how these things work.

Apr 10 - 05:41 PM

kenporules

Selur opnek

Apr 10 - 05:41 PM

yodas gooch

Hugh Jass

I feel like I have just been stabbed through the frontal lobe with a red hot poker. Cretins!

Apr 10 - 08:10 PM

renny2077

Renny Abraham

Looks like Hollywood is seriously trying to stop from going to the movies these days!

Apr 10 - 10:16 PM

t-joint

Tom Malmin

My name is Bill Frist, senior Senator from the great state of Tennissea, and, using my uncanny powers of deduction and vast professional knowledge of the film industry, I proclaim that this film will be a record-breaking box office winner.

THIS MOVIE IS A FIGHTER AND IT WANTS TO LIVE!

Apr 11 - 12:10 AM

kuwaitgirl

Alberta Canada

Apr 11 - 03:12 AM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

Apr 11 - 11:53 AM

eye_see

Ian Clarke

sweet, I was hopeing they would make a movie. :)

Apr 11 - 07:48 AM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

Apr 11 - 11:53 AM

wakeofinsanity

Jack Knut

They should pull the plug on this project...

HAHAHA.

sorry everyone.

Apr 11 - 12:06 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup