Tom Hanks to Back ABBA-daptation

The worldwide stage sensation "Mamma Mia!," a light-hearted musical packed to the gills with goofy ol' ABBA songs (that also grossed about $1.5 billion all told), will soon earn a big-screen adaptation -- thanks to producer Tom Hanks.

Says Variety: ""Mamma Mia!" -- the tuner that made theater snobs cringe but that worldwide auds embraced -- has fueled the bigscreen interest of Playtone partners Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman.

Ha
Hanks from "The Terminal"
The filmmakers are eyeing release by late 2007. The show's book writer, Catherine Johnson, is penning the screenplay, which will stick closely to the crowd-pleasing musical's plot. Raised on a Greek island by a formerly rebellious mom who never disclosed the identity of her father, a bride-to-be locates three men who might be her father and invites them to her wedding. The resulting conflict triggers 22 Abba hits like "Dancing Queen," "Take a Chance on Me" and "The Winner Takes It All.""

Someone let me know when the Air Supply movie gets greenlit.

Comments

dracus

Cap Nord

I like Hanks, but this one's got "DORK" written all over it.

Apr 21 - 06:18 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Yeah, it was a fun musical on stage, but translated to film...I don't know.

Apr 21 - 06:35 AM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

He should stay in front of the camera.

Apr 21 - 12:48 PM

ddp73

First Last

[b]Sure[/b]
When I went to see the play Momma Mia! I was very unsure of what I got myself into, but after it was over I would have seen it again. It was absolutely wonderful. Now you fall into the how-will-it-translate-from-stage-to-screen which can be good (CHicago) to not so great (Rent), the positive side I belive is that they are using the same write who wrote the play to write the screenplay. As long as they keep the dialogue down and the tunes coming I think they will pull it off. I'm there!

Apr 21 - 01:04 PM

VML

Victoria Leduc

Mamma Mia! doesn't make a good movie.

Apr 21 - 07:45 PM

South_park300

First Last

i'll give it a chance. i wanna see the trailer....although with a late 2007 release, it will be awhile

Apr 22 - 07:34 PM

Horstradamus

Marius Horst

[b]I saw the musical[/b]
Really, despite how many critics wet themselves over this show, I thought the whole plot was horribly contrived and strung together loosely over a best of Abba album. Good music. Dumb plot. Should have left it on stage. This one's going right into the crapper.

Apr 22 - 10:22 PM

Box Office
Box Office

Planet Of The Apes Is No. 1

<em>Unbroken</em>
Unbroken

Trailer for Angelina Jolie's latest

<em>The Hunger Games</em>
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

<em>Jimi</em> Trailer
Jimi Trailer

Clips: Andre 3000 plays Hendrix!