Trailer Bulletin: Superman Returns

There's no denying that Warner Bros' "Superman Returns" is one of this summer's flashiest and most eagerly anticipated projects, so why not click right here and enjoy the ultra-new and rather slick theatrical trailer, or check out the trailer via flipbook?

The reaction online has been mixed, of course, so we turn to the Rotten Tomatoes regulars to share their opinions.

Do you like the humor in the clip? I thought the "it's a bird, it's a plane" bit was really quite clever.

Thoughts on Spacey? The whole "no, say the other thing" exchange indicates, to me, a screenplay well-aware of the old-school comic book conventions, which is cool.

The usage of John Williams' original "Superman" score? Absolutely priceless, if you ask me.

True, the only real action-y stuff focuses on an insane plane accident, but really: Do we want a new "Superman" flick to be nothing but action? I sure don't.

Users with low-bandwidth can click here to view the new "Superman Returns" official trailer as a flipbook!

"Superman Returns" opens on June 30th.

Comments

aconline

Adam Collins

I'll take it!! Seems like it should be a great film. After Singer's run with X-Men, I have complete faith in his next venture.

May 3 - 06:22 AM

quigonjim1

James Mullaney

Made me quiver with excitement. I think Bryan Singer has nailed it. I will be at the midnight show. I'm looking forward to this more than I was Revenge of the Sith.

May 3 - 06:34 AM

mfrobins

mitch robinson

im officially excited now.

May 3 - 06:45 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

X-Men, Spiderman, Batman and now Superman. Looks like they're finally getting it right. Spacey looks great as Luthor. $300+million domestic easy.

May 3 - 07:12 AM

insanemansam5

Samuel Ewing

Can't wait

May 3 - 07:23 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

[b]SICK[/b]
See, now THAT'S what a Superhero film should be like. Dracus is right, they are finally getting it right. We'll just forget about Punisher, Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four, and the like. Batman, Spiderman, Xmen, and now Superman can pick up the slack. Of course, non of these will even hold a candle to how awesome Ant-Man is going to be! errr, I mean....

May 3 - 07:43 AM

cabezone

First Last

This is what a superhero movie is supposed to look like? Casting 20 year olds as 30 something superheroes? Other than nabbing Spacey as Lex, this has got to be one of the worst casting jobs.

May 3 - 08:07 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

Funny, I remember that's exactly what was said before Christopher Reeve's Superman came out. The complaint was outside of Marlon Brando, it was one of the worst casting jobs in Hollywood history (and I'm sure that there are some who still feel that way) but after it came out that opinion quickly changed and the critics congratulated the freshness (not counting Gene Hackman) of the new cast.

May 3 - 09:56 AM

cabezone

First Last

May 3 - 08:07 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

May 3 - 09:56 AM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

Now that's a superhero movie trailer.

May 3 - 08:13 AM

mizzoucritic

Sean Ludwig

"Looks like they're geting it right." ??? I hate to be like the guys on the X-Men forum, but let's wait til it comes out before we put it in line with Batman Begins, X-Men, or Spider-Man. Some of those scenes looked incredibly cheesy, but hopefully it will be self-aware of its conventions. If not, then look for this to be one hell of a hokey movie.

May 3 - 08:52 AM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

[b]OH SNAP!!![/b]
that looks freaking ROXERS!!! I'm loving the insane maniacal luther! THIS IS INCREDIBLE!!! I"M SO GIDDY AND HAPPY!!! LETS ALL DO THE HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY DANCE!!!

May 3 - 08:59 AM

cfw1021

Casey White

[b]Can't Wait![/b]
Stunning! The movie looks like it delivers what Supes fans have been waiting years to see. I'm really looking forward to it!! It'll make millions.... BILLIONS!

May 3 - 09:49 AM

Racer Z

Shannon Potratz

I must say, Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor absolutely SMOKES!!! I'm very excited to see this.

May 3 - 09:51 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

[b]VERY IMPORTANT[/b]
There is one very important distinction between being able to get excited for this film, and being disheartened for Xmen III. That reason? Bryan Singer vs. Brett Ratner. That says it all right there. I think we can trust Bryan Singers work a heck of a lot more than we can Brett Ratner's work. Of course, only the two movies will actually tell the tale, but as it stands this one looks great, Xmen III, to me, looks cheesy. And as for the casting of Brandon Routh, I agree he looks really young, and his costumes are a little over the top, but I wont hang him without having seen him act yet. I have no idea what he is like on the screen, I've never seen him in anything.

May 3 - 09:54 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

May 3 - 09:56 AM

quigonjim1

James Mullaney

Casting a younger Superman gives Routh time to grow with the role. I am glad they casted someone young and full of vigor. You don't have to be young to play Lex Luthor. He is a maniacal older man. Shame on anyone who doubted Singer's judgement.

May 3 - 10:37 AM

LampEft

Ray Dawson

Good points, though in my case I take some issue with the casting of Kate Bosworth. She doesn't look near old enough to have a kid that age. However, best to reserve final judgement until the film comes out. That said, the trailer looks fantastic.

May 3 - 12:54 PM

jeremyf1977

jeremy fein

[b]EH[/b]
Brimg on Justice League Movie.

May 3 - 11:42 AM

arpeggio191

Carl Myers

[b]seroiusly?[/b]
Justice League? that's where you want to go with this? That idea is about as lame as "superman vs batman." it's a good idea for the comics and that's about it. Only when the comic book movie industry is as wide-spread as the real comics books will that movie be made. In order for a cross-over movie, you need to establish the comic book universe. 4 or 5 movies most certainly does not do that.

Holy shit, i saw this last night at about midnight. I watched it about 30 times... i can't wait! Spacey rules! holy crap i can't wait for this movie!

carl

May 3 - 12:38 PM

nogard64

Nogard64 64

yeah same here, does anyone have a download site? I wanna have it forever and ever! Its just a trailer not the movie so chill. I'm really enjoying seeing Spacy capture the brash and God status delusional Luther. Think about it, what makes Superman VS Luther so great is that you have some one whos is virtually a god who doesn't really want to be (super man) vs someone who has no god like powers but is delusional enough to think he is one (luther). The trailer really hints at that struggle. I'm so excited I just can't hide it!

May 3 - 12:47 PM

necron91

Michael Clulee

IGN has it....

May 4 - 07:09 AM

brs27

Beau Smith

[b]AMAZING!!![/b]
I have been waiting for this since the teaser trailer was released back in December. Everything looks great, especially Routh as Superman. He looks like he is getting the job done. This is going to be an excellent film for any fan of Superman!! The flying looks amazing!!!

May 3 - 12:04 PM

May 4 - 07:09 AM

LampEft

Ray Dawson

May 3 - 12:54 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup