Critical Consensus: "Poseidon" Sinks, "Luck" Is Lacking

This week at the movies, we've got capsizing vessels ("Poseidon"), capsizing fortunes ("Just My Luck"), and goooooooooaaaaaals ("Goal!"). Which of these movies will score with critics?

As the Oscar-winning theme of "The Poseidon Adventure" put it, "there's got to be a morning after." In this day and age, there's got to be a big-budget quasi-remake. The latest is "Poseidon," Wolfgang Petersen's third boat movie ("Das Boot" and "The Perfect Storm" are the others.) Josh Lucas and Kurt Russell star as the leaders of a group trying to escape an overturned, sinking cruise ship. The critics say the film has some decent action scenes, but virtually no character development or good lines. At 36 percent on the Tomatometer, "Poseidon" is all wet.

Jacinda Barrett and Josh Lucas run from the critical tide.

There's a Lou Reed album called "Growing Up in Public," and few embody those words like Lindsay Lohan. She's the star of "Just My Luck," a screwball comedy about how a kiss reverses the fortunes of the world's luckiest girl and the unluckiest guy. The film marks the end of Lohan's teen queen phase; with this (and Robert Altman's "A Prairie Home Companion") she's now playing adult characters. But critics say "Just My Luck" is still pretty juvenile, a lightweight rom-com that isn't nearly sprightly enough. At 25 percent on the Tomatometer, the scribes say this one's "Just" not that good.

More excitement than a Friday night at Bungalow 8.

We love inspirational sports flicks. We must, as the studios keep making them. The latest entry is "Goal!," the first in a trilogy about a kid from East L.A. who ends up in Britain's Premier division. The scribes say this is a better-than-average, utterly predictable film with a good performance by Kuno Becker as the up-by-the-bootstraps (or is it cleatstraps?) footballer. At 54 percent on the Tomatometer, this one's a draw.

"Goal!" is the best movie about kicking things since "Kickboxer 4."

Recent Wolfgang Petersen Movies:
------------------------------------------
55% -- Troy (2004)
48% -- The Perfect Storm (2000)
77% -- Air Force One (1997)
56% -- Outbreak (1995)
97% -- In the Line of Fire (1993)

Recent Lindsay Lohan Movies:
--------------------------------------
100% -- A Prairie Home Companion (2006)
42% -- Herbie: Fully Loaded (2005)
13% -- Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (2004)
86% -- Mean Girls (2004)
83% -- Freaky Friday (2003)

Comments

Fangeddeer

Colin Hannon

[b]ah whatever[/b]
still gonna see posiedon, but my hopes for the movie are sunk (pun definetly intended).

May 11 - 06:44 PM

ChanceySinclair

Dwayne Lachance

[b]Posiedon already has a remake[/b]
There was a made for TV remake for Posiedon with the one and only Steve Guttenberg, and I don't think that can ever be topped. I mean, is there a Guttenberg movie that wasn't incredible, I think not

May 11 - 07:34 PM

Slatts66

Matt Slattery

Are you talking about the one that aired like 1 year ago on Tv. When it was a bomb that caused the boat to sink not a wave. Cause if you are then i have to disagree when you say that it cant be topped, because i thought that one sucked, horrible acting, terrible dialogue. Granted it was for Tv so it wouldnt be expected to be as good as a movie, cause of the difference in budget, but i just thought that movie blew. I really hope Posiden can top than one because if it cant, then it will be one of the worse movies ever. I guess i will have to wait and see.

May 12 - 06:55 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

I think (or hope) that The Corrector was joking. As for the big screen remake, I saw a sneak of it Monday and it pretty much blew chunks. Great action, nothing else worth recommending it.

May 12 - 03:46 PM

ChanceySinclair

Dwayne Lachance

Wow, I was trying to sound as sarcastic as I could, I'll try a little harder. Just for the record, I'm not retarded, and I do realize it was shit, yes I was joking

May 14 - 07:48 AM

Actaphu

Phu Bui-Quang

Goal! is the best kicking movie since Kickboxer 4?! I guess you weren't a fan of Kickboxer 5 :(

May 11 - 11:45 PM

Anna C

shame people skip MI:III

Losers!

May 12 - 12:12 PM

VML

Victoria Leduc

Bad character development? Yikes! I'm not going to watch a movie like that! A film cannot survive without character development!

May 12 - 12:44 PM

lovelykeira

Ken Schrock

I'm still going to go see Poseidon, MI3 kicks ass though people, you should see it.

May 12 - 01:13 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

May 12 - 03:46 PM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

i think Poseidon qualifies for the Guinness Book of Records as "Most Remade Film in History." you've got the original, this remake, and i'm fairly certain there have been several Poseidon Adventure TV movies. jesus h. christ, i know Hollywood has been in a drought for original ideas, but come on...

and no, i will not be seeing M:I:3. i've had enough of Tom Cruise acting much more happier than any normal human being ever should be (he reminds me of that Mormon family from South Park that is waaay too happy all the damn time), his raving about Katie Holmes, his new offspring, his battle with Brooke Shields and his crusade against psychological medication, his face on every magazine for the past year, the couch-jumping incident, et cetera, et cetera. he needs to disappear and fast. it's called "overexposure," Tom. look it up.

May 12 - 05:47 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Actually, I think probably the most remade movie ever is Dracula. As far as I know, the Gutenberg version of Poseidon is the only TV movie made of the story.

May 13 - 07:17 AM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

then maybe it's the close proximity the TV movie aired and the remake's release. the TV movie was, what, a few months ago?

May 13 - 12:34 PM

Zen Bullet

J D

I thought Poseidon represented the "average" dumb-fun summer movie.

Actually, the characters were "a tad" more substantial than critics have hinted.

MI3 leaves Poseidon in the dust quality-wise . . . but both films are worth an afternoon ticket at the very least!

May 13 - 07:52 PM

ChanceySinclair

Dwayne Lachance

May 14 - 07:48 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup