A Few More "Hulk 2" Happenings

Some good news and bad news seems to be floating around regarding the "Hulk" sequel. Word is that Eric Bana is entirely out of the running for the follow-up, but also that the flick might harken back to the classic 1970s series that old folks like me remember fondly.

From Dark Horizons/Cinescape: "Bana is definitely not doing it - his contract was with Universal, and so on - so they're going to get a new Hulk. They're not going to be auditioning, but merely 'going out' to names". The report adds the likes of Dominic Purcell, Brendan Fraser and Adam Garcia are being considered."

And screenwriter Zak Penn told The X Verse that "I thought the tone of the TV series was perfect, and something the first movie could have used. I really wanted to see Bruce on the run, keeping his secret from people, constantly afraid of transforming. You will see all that in Hulk 2, and no poodles."

Click here for more info. Nope, nothing about Jennifer Connelly. Darn.

Comments

Cbroods

John Sours

This is going to be bad....

Jul 5 - 07:22 AM

sr78

Sander Roubos

Yup. Am I the only one who though Hulk was one of the best recent superhero movies? I thought Ang Lee did a great job directing it, and Bana was superb.

Jul 5 - 08:28 AM

Modano

T H

[b]Hulk Rules[/b]
I actually enjoyed the first movie also. I might have gone in with lower expectations given the reviews and viewer posts. I didn't think Bana was that bad, I think he played the role like a zombie because the direction and the script called for it; he seems like a good actor in his other movies. I can see why people didn't like the movie. Maybe Ang Lee's more eastern vision (music, plot) may have been a bit much for some. I thought the special effects were great too.
I think this next one has the potential to blow. It might be a mistake trying to get a big name actor. Batman was awesome getting a lesser known but talented actor like Bale, Routh was good as Superman. Maguire might have been a star already before Spiderman but he's perfect for the role (besides Jake Gylenhaal). Wasn't this one going straight to video?

Jul 5 - 08:50 AM

Flass

Jim Lee

You are not on your own. What Ang Lee achieved was fantastic. This new start for the franchise is going to be very far removed and not good.
The original series? Wasn't that also made into the littlest hobo?

Jul 5 - 03:17 PM

DIABLUSX

TOMMY WILBANKS

Hulk just needs a some good action scenes, the abomination, and Bana.

Jul 5 - 08:31 AM

Modano

T H

[b]Hulk Rules[/b]

Jul 5 - 08:50 AM

taran72

Dan Mills

Agree with everyone who enjoyed the first movie - I'm really confused why people were turned off by it. Yes, this next one sounds like a disaster. Brendan Frasier? I like the guy, but no way does that work. No Bana, no Connelly, no Ang Lee. Remind me again why this is being made?

Jul 5 - 09:08 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

The Hulk would have been decent if 30 minutes would have been trimmed.

Jul 5 - 10:37 AM

KwazyWabbit

Chad Pourciau

Yeah this sounds like a ticking time bomb to me. I think it will go terribley wrong.

Jul 5 - 12:38 PM

Dinalfos 2

Rohan B

I don't get it. Bill Mantlo and Peter David added so much depth to the character. Why would they want to go back to the (admittedly entertaining) 70's Hulk?

Jul 5 - 12:52 PM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

I hope this one is aimed at viewers with long attention spans as was the excellent first.

Jul 5 - 02:54 PM

Flass

Jim Lee

The original series? Wasn't that also made into the littlest hobo?

Jul 5 - 03:17 PM

Roadhg67

Richard Wells

[b]Brendan Fraiser[/b]
How TERRIBLE an idea is it for Brendan to be the next Hulk? It is almost as bad as the rumors that WB wanted Ashton Kutcher first as Batman, then as Superman... almost.

Jul 5 - 03:50 PM

Flass

Jim Lee

Fraser as the next hulk surely beats Kutcher for any role . . . .watch out for that tree

Jul 5 - 04:21 PM

Flass

Jim Lee

Jul 5 - 04:21 PM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

I never saw the first hulk, but after reading your guys ramblings and now just realizing Ang Lee directed, im going to give it a shot. As for a 2nd, not looking good at all.

Jul 5 - 04:36 PM

Flass

Jim Lee

Missed out IMAmoose24 - big screen was best - yet it does seem to work better than alot of CGI films on small screen

Jul 5 - 04:55 PM

hellhole

Ken Alleman

Ang Lee's Hulk is an excellent film. And it looks like this sequel is going to be the exact opposite. Looks like it really isn't easy being green... hopefully three decades from now, somebody will have the clarity of vision to go back to the first Hulk and do the sequel properly, retconning any inferior sequels out of existence.

Jul 5 - 05:55 PM

gabrielgomez

Gabriel Antonio Enriquez gomez

no Jennifer, thats sucks

Jul 5 - 06:37 PM

Conehead2187

Sean Berger

[b]*deep sigh*[/b]
This reminds me of what happened to the Batman franchise (before Nolan revived it). Burton had done so much work bringing Batman out of the campy and celebrity cameo-filled villain-of-the-week style, only to have Schumacher go right back into that in the series' next two films. That's sort of what I see happening with this potential franchise. Ang Lee's part in recreating the idea of the Hulk was quite good, if a bit flawed. But it was still vastly superior to the corny television show. When will Hollywood learn that the serial-style of TV does not translate well into films.

Jul 5 - 09:58 PM

jofosho333

joe the hoe

Oh geez this is gunna be a flop

Jul 5 - 11:49 PM

Sinizine

Fake Name

I love how people are like "Oh man this is so going to fail without the cast and crew of the first film." The first film was a failure in the first place. Of course they're trying to distance themselves from it.

Jul 6 - 03:55 AM

sr78

Sander Roubos

True, but I'm no studio exec. I lilke movies because their well-made, not because they bring in a lot of cash.

Jul 6 - 04:29 AM

Box Office Wrapup
Box Office Wrapup

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>