Cast Lines Up for the "Day of the Dead" Remake

After Zack Snyder's "Dawn of the Dead" remake impressed a bunch of people and made a bunch of cash, it came as no surprise to learn that a "Day of the Dead" remake was going into production -- and the cast & crew will begin shooting next month.

From Blackfilm.com: "On the heels on www.bloody-disgusting.com reporting that Ving Rhames and Mira Sorvino are in "Day of the Dead", the remake of the classic horror film by George Romero, blackfilm.com has confirmed through Millennium Films that while Rhames is definitely in the film, but Sorvino is NOT, it's Mena Suvari. Besides Rhames and Suvari, the cast include Michael Welch, Annalynne McCord, Stark Sands, and Nick Cannon."

Behind the camera are a pair of horror veterans: Director Steve Miner ("Friday the 13th Part 2," "Friday the 13th Part 3," "House," "Halloween: H20") and screenwriter Jeffrey Reddick ("Final Destination," "Tamara").

Comments

donkeytron

Jesse Krawczyk

[b]Surprise!! This is going to SUCK!!![/b]
Ooh, Friday the 13th part 2. Classic. Halloween H20, BRILLIANT!!! Miner really knows his sequel stuff, doesn't he? Fu*&in' hack. This movie finally could've been done right, too. Tragic.

Jul 12 - 09:35 AM

new12play

Nathan Wells

I'll give him credit for H20. Would've been a satisfying end to the Halloween series if they had just left well enough alone.

Jul 12 - 09:41 AM

Cozy

Hugh Jackman

Nick Cannon................................................................... Nick F-ckin Cannon!

Jul 12 - 10:57 AM

the_don_of_yreka

Francisco "Kiko" Gomez

i know. kick him out.

Jul 12 - 12:44 PM

digitalsoul68

Bevan Calo

waitaminute...if Ving Rhames is coming back what happened to Sarah Polley's character and the other two kids that "survived" Dawn of the Dead??

*minor spoiler ahead*

But considering the ending of the Dawn of the Dead remake where they were ambushed on the island by zombies, I'm not sure if they did. So then...how did Ving's character, Kenneth, survive by himself?? Marcellus Wallace must be bad-@$$!!

Jul 12 - 11:54 AM

the_don_of_yreka

Francisco "Kiko" Gomez

i know. kick him out.

Jul 12 - 12:44 PM

Mr.FoodMonster

Ryan Winchester

Nick Cannon. Wow, lame. The guy that directed H20? Really, really lame. The guy who is the 'screenwriter' of Final Destination? I hate myself.

You CANNOT remake Day of the Dead. You just can't. Nobody saw it in the first place, because it really isn't a horror movie. It was so excellent. And now it's going to be ruined. I was surprized by the DotD remake from a couple years ago, but this isn't going to be good. At all.

Jul 12 - 01:38 PM

TheBlackGuy

Arman Tanzarian

Why can't you make a remake? I remember when people were moaning and whining about a dawn of the dead remake, then when it finally comes out, everyone loves it. And besides Day of the Dead really wasn't very good to begin with, so they can actually make a better movie than the original.

Jul 13 - 12:35 AM

Mr.FoodMonster

Ryan Winchester

First of all, Day was excellent. It wasn't a horror movie as much as it was a social piece about people getting along and what not. And why? Because look at the people who are on board, and tell me that those can combine forces into a halfway decent film. I dont think you, or anyone, could tell me that.

Jul 13 - 10:06 AM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

not a big fan of Steve Miner, but i agree that H20 should have been the end of the Halloween series. although i LOVE the Halloween series, even i can see that it's run its course.

and i also fully agree that Nick Cannon doesn't belong anywhere near this movie. the last thing we need is "the black comic relief" mugging for the camera and cheesing the movie up a la Mike Epps in Resident Evil: Apocalypse. i don't think the movie would have been all that better without him either, RE2 was just a bad movie all around, it just would have been slightly better without him.

Jul 12 - 01:39 PM

FireflyFan4evr

Steven Johnson

Well, you can't get much worse than a remake for "Day of the Dead". I think they already covered that in the original piece of crap. Which they nearly topped with "Land of the Dead".

I have high hopes for this movie, because the only way they can go is up. Even despite the bad director and screenwriter team.

Jul 12 - 02:13 PM

taran72

Dan Mills

This is bad news - for everyone.

Jul 12 - 02:45 PM

killbill82

frank ford

that was really racist dylan!

Jul 12 - 11:40 PM

piscesdreams

Anthony Flores

[b]Truth[/b]
I didn't know that telling the truth was racist.

Jul 16 - 06:30 PM

TheBlackGuy

Arman Tanzarian

Jul 13 - 12:35 AM

Mr.FoodMonster

Ryan Winchester

Jul 13 - 10:06 AM

Master King Sexington

Tyler Jones

Meh, zombies never get the respect they deserve. They're either Romero (the slow dumb ones) or 28 Days Later zombies (fast as hell). I liked the Dawn remake and I bet my friend that they were going to finally remake Day (they did the first two). i'm still going to see this. Long live undead people!!!

Jul 13 - 02:11 AM

zeromark16

Mark Gougeon

Nick Cannon. I hope he dies first (we all know the black kid won't live through the whole thing. Only Rhames will survive).

Jul 13 - 05:31 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

I actually liked Day of the Dead a lot, thought it was easily as good as the first two. Of course I realize I'm in the minority. As for a remake...meh. I'll probably watch it on video.

Jul 13 - 07:15 AM

South_park300

First Last

i loved the original Day of the Dead. not surprised about the remake. although i don't know to expect since it's a diffterent studio than the Dawn remake. if they go for the feel of the Dawn remake, then I don't care too much that Nick Cannon was cast. But if they gp for a Resident Evil: Apolocolypse feel, then I am very worried.
i look foward to seeing a trailer, or some set pics so i can see what is going on with the movie. i'm always up for a new zombie movie.
No one (in my opinion) has beaten the greatness of all 4 Romero classics. ok, well, Shaun of the Dead has matched the greatness in my opinion.

Jul 13 - 09:04 AM

Mr.FoodMonster

Ryan Winchester

Jul 13 - 10:06 AM

p0pnfresh2002

Patrick Killimett

As long as they make this remake interesting it will be great like the Dawn remake. The original Day was so boring, nothing really happened. I can't wait for the new one.

Jul 13 - 05:58 PM

Raziel5000

Lee Mountford

[b]Boring?[/b]
Okay, I know I'm in the minority when I say that in my opinion Day of the Dead is the greatest of all Romero's zombie epics. But I guess thats just personal opinion. I like the way he dropped the kind of TV, cartoony gore from Dawn and went with more realistic, stomach turning effects in Day. But it isnt about the gore, I felt the toning of the film was spot on, really downbeat and it was much more interesting to see people tear themsleves apart when they really needed to work together than the allegory and social commentaries used in the first two (again, presonal prefereance). But to say Day is boring when compared to the others (especially dawn) is a little blind in my opinion. Pleanty happens and its shorter running time actually helps maintain focus. For me, Dawn became very slow and unintersting when they settled into life at a shopping mall. It seemed like a list of non events where as the plotline of Bub (come on, greatest zombie ever!) really captured my attention. I loved it. (Personally I think they took that idea a little too far in Land, there was only so much Big Daddy zombie crying out in pain I could stomache lol).
Anyway, I'm sure I'm going to get shot down for this, as I say its purely my point of view and personal preference. I know that thevast majority prefer Dawn, and all power to you. I'm not saying you are wrong, you can never be wrong if you believe in your opinion (within reason - not getting into war and such) but at least try to look at the otherside of the coin.

I'm bored now, thank you and goodnight!

Jul 16 - 05:43 AM

Raziel5000

Lee Mountford

[b]Boring?[/b]

I'm bored now, thank you and goodnight!

Jul 16 - 05:43 AM

piscesdreams

Anthony Flores

[b]Truth[/b]
I didn't know that telling the truth was racist.

Jul 16 - 06:30 PM

statman1982

Jonathan Wells

Day of the Dead was cheesy as all get out, and yeah it was more of a bloody gory flick with zombies than it was a horror flick. Who on earth would Nick Cannon even play? The helicopter pilot maybe?

And does Rhames get to do some serious overacting in a Captain Rhodes type role? I didn't much care for the original and the track records of those involved in the remake don't exactly make me want to get in line. My brother will watch it I'm sure, I'll just have him tell me how it was.

Jul 17 - 07:33 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday