Nicole Kidman & Paul Bettany Dig the "Dark Materials"

London newspapers are reporting that not only is Nicole Kidman's "His Dark Materials" contract a done deal, but also that Paul Bettany (a.k.a. Mr. Jennifer Connelly) is now on board the highly-anticipated adaptation.

From IGN FilmForce: "As recent rumors suggested, Nicole Kidman will indeed be joining the cast of the "His Dark Materials" trilogy, beginning with "The Golden Compass." According to The Daily Mail and several other sources, the starlet assuming the role of the insidious Mrs. Coulter ? a character Kidman's skills are perfectly suited to.

Paul Bettany ("The Da Vinci Code") is also in final negotiations to join the picture as Lord Asriel. Bettany and Kidman are reportedly good friends, having acted alongside each other in "Dogville," and Bettany's involvement was apparently a factor in convincing Kidman to consider the film."

Click here for the full article.

Based on the book by Philip Pullman, "His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass" will be directed by Chris Weitz. It should hit theaters in late 2007.

Comments

It.

Anna C

[b]carrerist[/b]
does she knows she has kids???

Jul 19 - 03:36 AM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

YES! this is just perfect.

Jul 19 - 04:29 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

[b]A Reversal of Fortunes[/b]
There was a time if Paul Bettany appeared in a Nicole Kidman movie, it would have helped his career. These days, it helps Nicole Kidman's career to appear in a Paul Bettany movie.

Jul 19 - 06:32 AM

Skankyoldwhore

Akilis O

[b]Dracus[/b]
What are you talking about? the last movie worth talking about that Bettany did was Da Vinci Code and he certainly wasn't a standout, he came and went, the movie was pants, he hasn't made any standout movies since....... With Kidman even with Bewitched and The Stepford Wives, she is still one of the most highy sought actresses out there. It will help her career? since when? the woman just finished working with Shainberg (Fur), Hirschbiegel (The Visiting) and Baumbach, she is off to work with Luhrmann and perhaps on this if she is offered and accepts. Anybody looking for Bettany? lol. I needed to laugh, thanks.

carrerist, so she has kids. Her children her 12 and 14, do they need their diaper changing? She works relatively half the year, they go to school, what should she be doing with her life, knitting? Please! So, she is a working mother, go into the real world, there are many out there. If you don't want to go see the movie then don't.

Jul 19 - 11:40 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

I don't like her. I used to like her; Dead Calm, Peacemaker, The Others, but along came Moulin Rouge, followed by Birth, Stepford Wives, Bewitched etc, do I need really need to go on? So I repeat; there was a time when it would have helped Paul Bettany's career to appear in a Nicole Kidman movie, now it helps Nicole Kidman's career to appear in a Paul Bettany movie. He?s on his way to the top; she?s trying to stop her slide into oblivion by latching on to a rising star?s coat tails. BUT at least she?s smart that way.

Jul 19 - 02:15 PM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

Ouch. Let's not bash Paul now. Sure he's not a huge mega-star but he has talent and, as dracus says, he's on his way up!

Jul 19 - 07:56 PM

killbill82

frank ford

[b]with critics not so much.....[/b]
but "the da vinci code" made a gazillion dollars! standout!

Jul 19 - 11:52 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

Jul 19 - 02:15 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Kidman's last good movie was Birth, as for Bettany the Da Vinci Code sucked. Whatever this will be way better than the horrible piece of shit that is Dogville.

Jul 19 - 07:53 PM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

Jul 19 - 07:56 PM

DariusVIII

Sam Wotzka

[b]let's get back to the point[/b]
Well, if I'm the only one to actually read the books on this forum, then I'll put in my knowledgable two cents. Coulter could work being played by Kidman, although I think it'd be cool if the went for more unknowns for this movie....but as for Bettany, I love the guy, but this is not the role for him. Asriel is the man who leads a multiworld rebellion against God and the oppressive Church. He is an extremely brilliant and charismatic character. He is also a great leader. While I've always thought Paul perfectly suited to the brilliant roles, he fits more the profile of the unappreciated genius than the leader genius type. I also picture Asriel as a tall and fairly muscular man, a man just reaching the end of his prime. Bettany does not strike me as being any of these, possibly with the exception of tall. Just my opinion, but I think he'd be horribly miscast.

Jul 20 - 05:22 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast