"Unleashed" Director to Helm "The Incredible Hulk"

With Comic-Con just underway, you can expect a lot of super-geeky news to start hitting the streets ... and here's #1: Louis Leterrier, who recently directed Jet Li in "Unleashed" and Jason Statham in both "Transporter" movies, will be in charge of "The Incredible Hulk" for Marvel Studios.

From The Hollywood Reporter: "Action director Louis Leterrier has signed on to helm "The Incredible Hulk" for Marvel Studios. Avi Arad, Kevin Feige and Gale Anne Hurd will produce the movie, which will return the monstrous superhero to his comic book roots.

Arad and Feige first met with Leterrier two years ago and were struck by his passion for the Marvel Comics universe. It was that passion that shone through recently when -- after approached to gauge his interest in directing a new "Hulk" movie -- Paris-based Leterrier went back to his studio and, with the help of an artist, storyboarded two action sequences and developed a take on the monster. The script is being penned by Zak Penn, whose credits include Marvel's "X2: X-Men United" and "X-Men: The Last Stand."

Comments

Master King Sexington

Tyler Jones

Finally a ray of hope for what seemed to be a tragedy

Jul 20 - 03:34 AM

nardoguz

Bernardo Guzman

[b]hooray[/b]
Unleashed had some kickass action and Transporter 2 was a grrrrrreat action flick.- I hope the writing team achieves what they did for X2 and not for X3 for what finally seems to be a good adaptation of a great character

Jul 20 - 04:40 AM

bravo10

robi lyle

[b]what I hope they do...[/b]
Whatever the director, writer or whatnot, the Hulk must speak in this movie. That's why the TV show missed and the first movie missed. The dramatic element of the split between the intellectual Banner and the rampaging Hulk is all in the talking (and the smashing, of course). The Hulk has always had a voice in the comic and to go through a movie without any dialog for the lovable green-skinned mug would compell one to wonder if the filmmakers lacked the confidence to pull it off.

ps: I know the Hulk spoke briefly in the mirror/dream bit from the first but that hardly cuts it.

Jul 20 - 05:49 AM

bravo10

robi lyle

[b]what I hope they do...[/b]

Jul 20 - 05:49 AM

the-russian

Nick Danczyk

You guys all praise this, but I'll be back to laugh when they turn this into another "Fantastic Four." Just because most viewers can't handle an emotionally deep story, doesn't mean they should turn this into a *blam* comedy.

"I'm not badmouthing Ang Lee's movie which has its supporters but I think the tone was overall a little bit too serious." -Louis Leterrier

Jul 20 - 08:33 AM

lavatory love machine

juan carlos petruchi

I liked the first movie, it wasn't mainstream but good anyhow

Jul 20 - 08:34 AM

scottybarkbark

jonathan watterman

he didn't direct both transporters, just the second one. corey yuen directed the first one

Jul 20 - 08:39 AM

FILMCZY

First Last

[b]All FLASH, no SUBSTANCE[/b]
Sorry, but this just doesn't look promising. I liked Ang Lee's film (though the special effects needed more work) and feel this is going to fall into the B or C list of comic book adaptions similar to Fantastic Four,The Punisher, and Elektra. Unless the script is compelling like Spiderman and Batman Returns, this new Hulk will do okay the first week then fall 50-60% the next week (we all know the drill.) Leterrier's two films so far are all flash, no substance and we all know the best comic book adaptions need substance.

Jul 20 - 09:07 AM

elziard

elzeard bouffier

yeah and the second one only had moments. the first one's action sequences and story were much better.

incredible? harldy likely...

Jul 20 - 09:15 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

The Hulk wasn't that great a movie that's for sure and I don't have much hope for this one either. I liked Unleashed a lot but I didn't really care for Transporter 2, so I do think that Leterrier has potential to make this better than the first. I still don't think it will be anything great though.

Jul 20 - 09:38 AM

Vitamin M

Matthew Haynes

Well at any rate we should be getting a much different Hulk movie then the first so at least the intellects will have a Hulk film and the action fans will have one as well. Everybody wins. Nice.

Jul 20 - 11:07 AM

hellhole

Ken Alleman

The original Hulk film caught so much flak for simply daring to stray outside the comic book formula and try something original with the established character. Well, the fans wanted a formula film, and now they're getting it... I hope they're happy with this news, because I personally think it sucks.

Jul 20 - 07:02 PM

sneppo

sneppo smith

Eric Bana better be Banner!

Jul 20 - 07:43 PM

buddablz

Jammie Hannah

I still don't get it, so is this a remake or a sequel? Let me know.
I liked the first Hulk, but i thought it could have been better, with more action.
But the comicbook like sequences in the first were good and I liked the story.
I could say I would want Eric Bana back as bruce banner

Jul 20 - 11:19 PM

Flass

Jim Lee

Why are hollywood so scared of giving an action film some intelligence. Unleashed could possibly have been something intersting . . .instead it was an excuse for a number of martial art scenes. Haven't seen Transporter 2 because the original was so bad.
The original hulk for me was one of the best comic/film crossovers there has been. This is because it showed a bit of intelligence and emotion.
For me the Hulk sequel is going to go the same way as Punisher, Elektra, Daredevil.

Jul 23 - 08:18 AM

Zengine

john Raines

The Hulk. He gets pissed off. He smashes things. He pisses other people off. They attack him. The Hulk gets even more pissed. Situation goes from bad to worse.

Do you see how simple it would be to make a good Hulk movie?

I don't wanna see some stupid big budget mindless action-fest full of cheesy one liners anymore than the rest of you, but I sure as hell don't wanna go to a movie called "Hulk" showcasing a big pissed off green monster that you just know could tear some s$#t up, and get all excited only to have my hopes and dreams raped by Bruce Banner"s puny girlfriend who runs in to spoil the fun whenever Hulk gets on a roll (you'd think having awesome unstoppable beast shrink at the sight of you would be an insult, but hey....what do I know).

All it would take to make this movie good would be to make it a race against time (for the military, and a few other protagonists) to stop that rampaging sonofabi#$% before he destroys the entire city (or nuclear power plant, causing even more pissed off genetic spin-offs of the Hulk to be running around wreaking havoc). Sort of an..........action thriller.

Jul 26 - 12:31 AM

Zengine

john Raines

Make a war movie! Those have more emotion than any other movies on the market, and they kick ass too!

Jul 26 - 12:33 AM

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank