Who's Ready for "Stargate 2" (and Maybe "Stargate 3")?

Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin don't seem to work together anymore, but now that MGM is apparently interested in re-starting the "Stargate" movie franchise, the old partners might just be back in business. And Devlin seems pretty confident about getting James Spader and Kurt Russell back for a pair of sequels.

Courtesy of IGN FilmForce: "We always envisioned ("Stargate") as a trilogy, and, unfortunately, the way in which the movie got made, we didn't really have control," Devlin explained.

"They think there is an audience out there who would like to see what part two and part three were intended to be because there was a larger story arc that we had in mind," he explained, adding, "and we never got to explore it. So I think it will be very exciting to actually get to go do parts two and three."

Devlin also said that the first film's stars, Kurt Russell and James Spader, have long expressed interest in making a sequel. "The irony is actually because it was twelve years ago that we made "Stargate," part two was actually supposed to take place about twelve years later. We were just going to kind of age them up as actors so it actually works out really nicely."

Click here for a bunch more.

Comments

Massiveman

William Fuchs

Ok didnt the show SG1 do this already i mean pick up where this movie left off. I mean it follows the same characters, deals with the same aleins ect. How many fans of the orignal movie are there? Compare that to the show. Continuing the movies completely ignoring the show will only ostrize the shows fans and well make no sense. Why not just do a sequal continuing from the show i mean its on its 10th season it cant really last much longer.

Jul 21 - 12:56 AM

adml_shake

Robin Goins

Well they could do a kind of "Ghost in the shell" thing, where the movies are on their own time line from the show. But I imagine that most of the fans are going to want SG-1 the movie. Where as some are like me, and would like to see the show run its own course and yet see the people from the original movie keep their own story going.

Jul 21 - 04:28 AM

Freth

Stephen Perry

[b]Huge fan[/b]
I'm a huge fan of the original movie. I'd like to see the original cast come back together and continue the original story line. When I first saw the series I thought of it as a bastardization of the movie. However, eventually I was won over and I've watched quite a few episodes from the series. I think the series is running its course and it might be time to resurrect the original movie and make the trilogy they always wanted to make. It still has huge potential at the box office I think. Fans of the original movie (which I'm sure far surpass the series) will be eating this one up. I know I will.

Jul 21 - 05:05 AM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

i wasn't too thrilled with the Stargate movie, it was mediocre at best. i think the only reason they're even considering this is because of the success of SG-1 and Atlantis. and yes, i think people would be more interested in a movie starring the SG-1 cast instead of the stars of the passable film.

Jul 21 - 07:01 AM

McSalmon

Wade Meredtih

I would be 100% down to watch any more Stargate movies that got made. I love Spader and I like Russel. I thought the movie one was under-rated. I've never seen the TV show and have no interest in it, so I would hope they keep the movie and the show as two seperate realities.

Jul 21 - 07:54 AM

Muddler

Muddler Critic

I never liked the series. They all seemed to be doing impressions of the movie cast.

I usually don't like sequels, but a franchise can be alright where the story arcs. I always wondered why they didn't make more of these movies as the original did fairly well. I thiought it was a passable movie - not truly great, but really not bad for starting a series of movies.

If you think about sci-fi movies of the past decade, many have sucked, few have stood out from the crowd. I think it is because it's hard to get a real director interested in making a sci-fi film that is about more than blowing things up.

Jul 21 - 03:52 PM

ndrage85

Brandon M

[b]I'm up for it.[/b]
I really enjoyed the Stargate movie. They could easily make more movies and i'd be willing to watch. The series? not so much. I never got into the series. It felt like a cheap half-assed version of the movie with poor actors. oh wait... But no, I just didn't get into it. Granted, I didn't start from the beginning because i never had the opportunity. I tried getting into Stargate Atlantis, and there was no way in hell. The main male and female actors are annoying as hell, and every episode i watched just seemed cheesy and lame. I only watched the pilot for Robert Patrick, even though i knew he was only in it for the pilot and then would be killed off.

Jul 21 - 05:11 PM

ndrage85

Brandon M

[b]I'm up for it.[/b]

Jul 21 - 05:11 PM

slavesandbulldozers

chris eoff

I would much rather see the movie cast again than the show, I mean come on... Richard Dean Anderson??? Or Kurt Russell and James Spader? Hmmm... Lets think hard about this one! I would love to see the movies completely disregard the show, because I have never been a fan of turning movies into TV shows, because tv shows are much too cheasy to translate well to the big screen. Look at Highlander! I know 2 and 3 weren't that great, but they don't even come close to being as bad as Endgame.

Jul 21 - 05:33 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

I'd would see the movies if they brought back the original cast, but the TV series is crap and I'm shocked its still going, but of course it's on the Sci-Fi channel so I shouldn't be too shocked. I'm still ticked Sci-Fi passed up taking on Enterprise, at least that show was getting better.

Jul 21 - 05:57 PM

wilkiedriver

Aaron Wilkins

[b]Enterprise was getting better? Alright, whatever..[/b]
To SG-1 haters:

What's your problem? The movie was crap and boring, with a terrible ending. SG-1, I thought, sucked too...for the first 2-3 seasons. Then it got really good and won me over, which is hard to dod since I don't watch much basic cable (it is on basic, right?) So how could a tv show that sucked or basterdized-whatever the movie, last for ten years? I liked Enterprise, but it was going nowhere...because in real life it wasn't.

Sci-Fi Channel picking up another show? They have deep pockets. When they were being shopped around with a previous parent company (forgot the name, but they were/still with USA) , they (Sci-Fi) were the ones getting the attention. The point is, those don't matter when you have the huge investment of Battlestar Galactica at the time and two other shows. They would not have done Enterprise justice.

No, I don't like Battlestar Galactica. I have gotten my fill of over-acting Canadian actor(s) and very lame sexual innuendo(sic) from other shows...

Jul 21 - 11:04 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

I thought the last season of Enterprise was actually the best, the Brent Spiner episodes and the time travel one where they went into the future and recreated TOS, that was awesome. Now the finale was a load of crap, Enterprise had some pretty good episodes you just have to forget all the boring ones. It's sad because it had potential, but was basically being used to intentionally kill the franchise from the inside.

Jul 21 - 11:14 PM

Ryan E.

Ryan Eye

The original movie was good, I like it. BUT, you can't just ignore a series that lasted 10 years.

All of the people that are saying that SG-1 sucks probably only saw the first few episodes, which were not the best in my opinion. And you can't judge an entire series, especially one as long as SG-1, on the first few episodes. I mean, if that is the case, than based off the first episode I would say that Star Trek TOS was a cheesy sci-fi wannabe, even though it was one of the best sci-fi shows ever.

Recently, I found a list of the top 50 sci-fi shows of all time choosen by critics and fans alike, here's the top six:

1.) Battlestar Gallactica
2.) Star Trek TOS
3.) Star Trek TNG
4.) X-Files
5.) Babylon 5
6.) Stargate SG-1

Obviously SG-1 was doing something right...
Again, you can't just ignore 10 years of MGM's second biggest franchise next to James Bond.
I too would like to see what the original Stargate 2 and 3 had in them, but if anything, they should remake the original movie with the SG-1 cast. THAT would be sick.

Sep 28 - 12:27 PM

cyberrblob

David Mellor

For me the sequals to stargate seem like chronicles of riddik to pitch black! I really enjoyed stargate as a kid, and would definatly go see some more!

Jul 21 - 06:13 PM

wilkiedriver

Aaron Wilkins

[b]Enterprise was getting better? Alright, whatever..[/b]
To SG-1 haters:

Jul 21 - 11:04 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

Jul 21 - 11:14 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

Jul 21 - 11:14 PM

saiga6360

Hunter Rose

Richard Dean Anderson is GOD! STFU you SG1 haters.

Jul 23 - 05:39 PM

tlr-gate

jack east

[b]keep the present crew[/b]
Love Stargate ? So do we at Twisted Logic Recordings

well there thinking of a new film.

but do we want to see it with the old cast from the original film ?

no thank you

no offense to spader as he is a top actor big respects to him and his work. Wish i could say the same about Russel. the man cant speak let alone act. lol
I bet Russel and spader turned down the tv series and look at its success. they don't deserve the parts in the new films i ain't seen them in anything since 1994 either.

Stargate is just money to the original actors. and was for the tv crew but its become a part of life to the tv cast now and its been 10 years could you really watch the new films with old or new actors. we want the present thanks

i agree with most of you spin offs are fucking shit but sg1 is different people its an amazing story with great potential to go on for many years. at first i thought atlantis was a shitty spin off of sg1 but is just part of the massive never ending story yes they can bring in new characters/actors because of this but people love the present characters/actors dont fuck this up. we cant deal with change just yet.

we delt with losing Anderson because the actor wasn't replaced it was a new character altogether. but still felt wrong at first and you aint got time to do this with a film. you could do this with a few but you really need to keep Amanda Tapping Michel Shanks and Christopher Judge

10 years think about it its a very long time it would be like coming home to a set of parents that act the same but dont look it. crazy yeah

keep it real

Feb 14 - 08:57 PM

tlr-gate

jack east

[b]Keep the present cast[/b]
Keep the present cast. please its the right thing to do.

Feb 14 - 08:59 PM

Jade Knight

Michael-Forest Meservy

I'd be very interested in seeing the film with the old cast and following the originally intended arc.

SG-1 the film? Not so much.

Apr 17 - 09:19 PM

Ryan E.

Ryan Eye

1.) Battlestar Gallactica
2.) Star Trek TOS
3.) Star Trek TNG
4.) X-Files
5.) Babylon 5
6.) Stargate SG-1

Obviously SG-1 was doing something right...

Sep 28 - 12:27 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday