Christian Bale Talks "Dark Knight" and Heath Ledger

What with the new Bat-title ("The Dark Knight") and the new bat-villain (Heath Ledger as The Joker), it seems that Bat-actor Christian Bale is pretty happy with the way his "Batman Begins" sequel is coming together. The well-admired performer say down with FilmFocus to share his thoughts on the bat-sequel.

From FilmFocus: "I just love that title," Bale told FilmFocus, "You know, nothing's written in stone yet, but I like, very much, that it doesn't have 'Batman' written in the title. This take on Batman of mine and Chris' is very different from any of the others and everything else always had Batman in the title. I think this is kind-of distancing it even further and saying, 'Hey, this is a whole different creature from what has come before.'"

Much as Ledger is a wildly different choice for the Joker; in Tim Burton's 1989 version the role went to The Smile himself, Jack Nicholson. "Absolutely," Bale told us, "Heath is very much into what Chris had done with the first one and he's very passionate about the role."

Click here for a lot more.

Comments

arpeggio191

[b]oh man...[/b]
this is going to rule!

Aug 7 - 05:17 AM

Seibei Iguchi

Evan Key

Interesting. I was thinking that it was going to be "Batman: The Dark Knight", but that's a neat idea, too. I just hope Bale loses the gruff, "Grrr, I'm chainsmoking Batman" voice for this one.

Aug 7 - 06:09 AM

Elixir

Birdy Man

i'm starting to think heath ledger was the perfect choice. i'm just picturing him going nuts, with this grin, and some really crazy make up....

its gonna rule indeed.

Aug 7 - 06:09 AM

[b]The Dark Knight[/b]
is a perfect title. Batman: The Dark Knight sounds like a continuation of previous movies, some of which we'd like to forget. Awesome.

Aug 7 - 07:20 AM

aconline

Adam Collins

[b]The Caped Crusader[/b]
In the 3rd film, they will introduce Robin making the 4th film, The Dynamic Duo. I think that the Dark Knight is a great title. But who really cares? As long as they stay away from lame titles like The Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer, I don't care what they call the movies, I am going to see them. As for Ledger, well, I am worried, but, I think he will be fine. On superherohype.com , the talked about Phillip Seymor Hoffman being the Penguin. I liked how in Batman Begins, they went with Ra's Al Gouhl and Scarecrow, 2 villians not in the old movies. Batman has a huge selection of great villians, why not go there before going to the Penguin? I think The Joker is neccessary to Batman, but why not Firefly, Killer Croc, Mad Hatter, or Man-Bat? Personally, in this go around of Batman and Joker, why not bring in Harlequinn? THoughts on her anyone?

Aug 7 - 07:30 AM

[b]we don't focus on those villians[/b]
because no one will give a shit about them.

Aug 7 - 07:44 AM

aconline

Adam Collins

Who cared about Ras AL Gouhl? How can you use that as an argument?

Aug 7 - 09:30 AM

[b]well...[/b]
This is the problem with superhero movies: people want to see all the same intricate details as they do in the comics. The story lines, the humor... all of this can't be shown in the film. The reason is simply that there aren't enough films to develope that kind of universe. How long as the Batman-Joker story been alive? How long as the batman-man-bat been alive? In order to have a succesful film, you must also give people what they want to see, and everyone wants to see The Joker, The Penguin, The Riddler, Two-Face, Mr. Freeze and Catwoman.

Gouhl was ok, because Begins was completely about how batman got his start. The movie dealt with the little told aspect of him becoming batman. Everyone talks about his parents' death, blah blah blah, but in the end, you can discuss lesser villians (even inaccurately) if they contribute to the story. Having a character such as man-bat, would be a CGI filled bore. The same would be for Killer-Croc. These characters should be reserved for the 15th film in the Nolan series, when he's run out of villians, and well... they pay him a billion dollars to direct it.

So, while these characters may be interesting (but certainly not to me), they don't contribute to the overall Batman "film-universe."

Aug 7 - 11:34 AM

aconline

Adam Collins

Well, thought out and written. I applaud your argument. We could only hope to see 15 films. As for Harlequinn, I am still game. I agree with the eye candy aspect.

As for clayface South_Park, I would have to resort to the same argument already under way. too much CGI, not enough plot with that character.

Aug 7 - 01:22 PM

[b]thank you[/b]
I would love for the 15 films. Nolan and Bale are amazing. I have never liked the Robin Character to begin with. Its really only interesting when he becomes nightwing. To me Robin always held batman back. Perhaps that is just because I never liked his back story.

And while Begins had some CGI in it... you could never tell because it was mostly in buildings etc...

But in the end, I agree with you, Robin doesn't fit in the Nolan series at this time. But then again, that may be because we're all conditioned to see robin as either a "holy ___" saying kid, or a spoiled irritating Chris Odonnel (who i can't stand).

Aug 7 - 02:31 PM

[b]we don't focus on those villians[/b]
because no one will give a shit about them.

Aug 7 - 07:44 AM

aconline

Adam Collins

Who cared about Ras AL Gouhl? How can you use that as an argument?

Aug 7 - 09:30 AM

[b]well...[/b]

Aug 7 - 11:34 AM

aconline

Adam Collins

Aug 7 - 01:22 PM

[b]thank you[/b]

Aug 7 - 02:31 PM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

I'm psyched for 2 years of people explaining why this will suck and then fanboys argueing why it won't. How did we ever get along without the internet before?

Aug 7 - 08:22 AM

Captain Shimmy

Justin Snipes

Why, I remember back in my day we had to wait 7 years for a movie to come out....we didn't know any of the actors.....and we didn't......no Internet.......tapioca pudding......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......AND WE LIKED IT!!!!

Moral of today's story: the internet has spoiled people into thinking that everyone wants to know their opinion. Also, very few times has the internet buzz been right on superhero movies. With the notable exceptions of Elektra and Catwoman. Both of which suck big fat donkey balls and were predicted to do so. Man, I hate Halle Berry.

Aug 7 - 09:18 AM

aconline

Adam Collins

I have to ask then, why post your own opinions? This IS THE POINT OF THIS FORUM. If you dont care what we have to say, dont read it. Go enjoy your tapioca pudding.

Aug 7 - 09:28 AM

aconline

Adam Collins

Aug 7 - 09:28 AM

aconline

Adam Collins

Who cared about Ras AL Gouhl? How can you use that as an argument?

Aug 7 - 09:30 AM

[b]well...[/b]

Aug 7 - 11:34 AM

aconline

Adam Collins

Aug 7 - 01:22 PM

[b]thank you[/b]

Aug 7 - 02:31 PM

thadeus_79

Ted Osborn

I think Harlequinn would be a side character, and its nice to have some eye candy. I am also starting to buy Heath Ledger as the Joker, on a previous thread, somebody had a picture of what Ledger may look like, it looked awesome.

Aug 7 - 10:56 AM

wannabsuperhero

nick birdsong

so where can i find this picture i want to see it.

Aug 8 - 11:18 AM

[b]well...[/b]

Aug 7 - 11:34 AM

aconline

Adam Collins

Aug 7 - 01:22 PM

[b]thank you[/b]

Aug 7 - 02:31 PM

South_park300

First Last

i would like to see clayface....anyone? anyone? ...hey, where did everyone go? ok fine, joker and penguin...

Aug 7 - 01:14 PM

aconline

Adam Collins

Aug 7 - 01:22 PM

[b]thank you[/b]

Aug 7 - 02:31 PM

DariusVIII

Sam Wotzka

I like the shape this film is taking....at first I was skeptical about Ledger, but now that I think about it, he could be far better than Jack himself, what with his quirky smile and acting talent. I just hope that the sequal can maintain the dark, gritty mood that the first one set so perfectly. As for Robin, I think Christian Bale is too young to have a side kick. Side kicks are usually younger than the heroes they follow, so a believable Robin would end up being like 16. That, and I think they're going to stay away from most of the previous films' material. Which is exactly how it should be.

Aug 7 - 01:51 PM

elziard

elzeard bouffier

//Does anyone see Robin entering the Nolan series at all? I, for one, at this time, do not.//
yeah, if they kill him off in the same film.

i would like to see a serious, Nolan-style collaboration with another DC good guy. it's one thing no one will tackle with the DC universe. i think the only thing left to do new in the genre is successfully tell a story with 2 well established characters.

if not, we'll get a poor rehash of the robin origin which, despite batman forever's shortcomings, did well to give robin his origin. why rehash the robin lore if not to also rehash two-face?

i'd rather a little while into this franchise, like #3, they flashback to a young robin origin, then he returns as nightwing. that would sate the collaboration with another DC good guy and not rehash the robin brat as the part of the movie dichotomy.

Aug 7 - 02:13 PM

[b]thank you[/b]

Aug 7 - 02:31 PM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

characters like Clayface and Man-Bat would be great if done well. sure, copious amounts of CG would be needed, but i think they should really get the more human characters out of the way before they begin to stretch the bounds of reality by introducing some of the more fantastical characters. i think even Killer Croc can be done in a believable way, since the basis of his character is that he has a bizarre skin condition, not because he's part crocodile.

as far a Harley Quinn goes, i think they can sneak her into The Dark Knight in a cameo role as Dr. Harleen Quinzel before she falls in love with Joker and goes nuts.

as Robin? let's try to get these first three movies out of the way. i'm not a fan of Robin either. when Batman and Batman Returns came out, most people were foaming at the mouth to involve Robin. but of course, "Be careful what you wish for." we got Robin all right, but in the form of an extremely annoying Chris O'Donnell. let's get a few really good Batman movies in before taking that risk again.

Aug 7 - 03:32 PM

South_park300

First Last

i was joking about clayface, unless they did him in the way they did in the animated series. otherwise he will be hard to be taken seriously. Him being CG wouldn't be bad though. I am betting Venom will look great in Spidey 3 and I am sure he will be most, if not all CG. Who knows.
Man-bat would definately rock though. He could be a mix of CG and animatronic.

Aug 7 - 03:46 PM

Metallx

Jeffrey Haas

[b]Bane[/b]
Am i the only one who thinks Bane should be built up for Batman 4+5. Sort of like Pirates and the Matrix with them being shot together? Bane would be awesome! Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Shadow of the Bat?, and KNIGHTFALL! They could also introduce the lesser villains like Firefly and Croc who wear down Batman like in the comics.

Aug 7 - 05:38 PM

Metallx

Jeffrey Haas

[b]Bane[/b]

Aug 7 - 05:38 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel