"Dead Man's Chest" DVD Due December 5th

I know it's hardly "news" when a recent theatrical release earns a DVD date, but we're talking about "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," one of the biggest blockbusters of this or any year, plus (more importantly) a movie I really liked a whole lot. And surprise! There'll be two different DVD packages...

No, not anything like an "extended cut," as if POTC2 actually needs to be any longer. Here's the scoop from TheManRoom.com (because apparently they're the only site still reporting the news after Disney asked the other DVD sites to hold off for a little bit): "Disney and Buena Vista Home Entertainment are planning to release "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" starring Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley and Orlando Bloom, in both single and two-disc collector's edition flavors on December 5.

The single-disc edition will include a pair of writer commentary tracks and 'Bloopers of the Caribbean.' The collector's edition touts 8 hours of material (film included) and should consist of the extras available on the single-disc edition along with a plethora of featurettes, a look at pirate lore and more. We should have a clearer picture of the entire extras list shortly"

Click here to see the cover art.

And yes, I'm buying the 2-discer.

Comments

pirate of skulls

spenser hodge

why exactly does it show a picture of Halo?

Aug 23 - 01:31 AM

Master King Sexington

Tyler Jones

Jack Sparrow is actually Master Chief

Aug 23 - 01:23 PM

puablo

Josh Jones

The special edition comes with Halo 3!

Aug 23 - 05:42 AM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

That would be pretty cool.. but its not true.

Aug 23 - 08:09 AM

atreyu83

John Merriman

Is the DVD cover art image for Pirates 2 on that website the final cover? Not that the movie poster was all that great to begin with, but the DVD cover looks pretty lame as is. Oh well, at least they managed to fit in a picture of Davy Jones.

Aug 23 - 10:05 AM

ajmueller

Alex Mueller

That movie sucked. I'll have to rent it to see if I really want to buy it, which is unlikely.

Aug 23 - 11:22 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

I'll definitly be buying the two disc set on the 5th then. At least their releasing both versions at the same time, it always pisses me off when they wait a couple months to release the two disc version. It's still my third favorite film of the year so far.

Aug 23 - 11:43 AM

new12play

Nathan Wells

I love how studios have gotten even more money-hungry. Before, we would receive the same 2-disc DVD's, loaded with extras, for the low price. Now, they're selling the bare bones version for the lower price, just so they can jack up the price for the 2-disc version that they used to put out a couple of years ago. Will there be any disputers when the Pirates 2 disc streets for 22.99 at Best Buy, when the same Pirates original 2 disc streeted for 14.99. Now, they're going to give you the single disc for that price, just so the true fans have to pay more for the movie. This trend is really starting to get on my nerves. V for Vendetta, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, King Kong, Lord of War, Poseidon, Jarhead, Cinderella Man, Chronicles of Narnia, etc. It's not going to stop either.

Aug 23 - 12:38 PM

South_park300

First Last

then just buy the single disc version...sheesh

Aug 23 - 12:58 PM

new12play

Nathan Wells

I'm just commenting on the trend. If I love the movie, like V for Vendetta, I want the best set available. When these same 2 discs sets were released earlier, they would price them like they would with any first run disc. All I'm saying, and I'm sure if you're on this site and enjoy movies, too, you always go for the better looking package. But hey, if it's just me, then I'll accept it.

Aug 23 - 07:30 PM

Master King Sexington

Tyler Jones

Jack Sparrow is actually Master Chief

Aug 23 - 01:23 PM

Isaach

isaach majid

[b]Pirates 2 DVD[/b]
Pirates of the Caribbean 2 was a really good movie, though not as good as the first, but still enjoyable. I will probably get the single disc if they don't put any deleted scenes on the 2-disc. I hope that the dvd cover on the link is not final. It doesn't even have the original Pirates font.

Aug 23 - 06:16 PM

SympathyForTheDevil

Manda Marie

well a pretty bad movie doesn't deserve a great disc

Aug 23 - 07:18 PM

SympathyForTheDevil

Manda Marie

well a pretty bad movie doesn't deserve a great disc

Aug 23 - 07:18 PM

new12play

Nathan Wells

Aug 23 - 07:30 PM

South_park300

First Last

but seriously, 22.99 isnt too bad if you love the movie AND you get great bonus features...be happy dvd's arent as expensive as they were when they FIRST came out! haha

and people saying this movie was bad have no soul. it's true!

Aug 23 - 08:01 PM

saiga6360

Hunter Rose

and smell like ass

Aug 23 - 08:42 PM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

Not too big on the cover. What's wrong with the poster that we have above? that would have made a nice DVD cover.

Not as fugly as the Serenity DVD of course. Now that one was far from pretty.

Aug 23 - 09:41 PM

new12play

Nathan Wells

Nevermind then. I'll be happy paying extra even though a couple years back I didn't have to. I guess my point isn't getting across.

Aug 24 - 05:11 AM

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

I get you, man, and I completely agree. Your comments had nothing to do with POTC and everything to do with studios figuring out that instead of releasing a $20 normal version and a cheaper "lite" version, they can instead release a $20 normal verision and a more expensive "stuffed" version. And the new normal version is the same as the old "lite" version.

This is a disturbing trend, and sitting here I'm trying to think of when it started moving that way. I think it may have been the success of the LOTR:FOTR theatrical DVD coupled with the (initially unexpected) big success off the extended edition, and the moderate-but-profitable success of the "gift set" edition.

The theatrical release was still pretty darn stuffed for what it was, and I think the studios started realizing that "regular buyers" didn't care all that much about extras (anymore), and they would still buy "just the movie" at that price.

Put two and two together and they probably realized that, "You know, we can just sell the movie all by itself at this price point and we'll be fine - our core buyers don't care that much about the extras and we make more profit. And the fans will buy the extras at a higher price because they want the extras and will pay for them. And, hey, those geek fanboys will break their piggybanks for an even MORE expensive version if we add even more stuff and call it a collector's edition."

And so on. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Flame retardant: The LOTR trilogy is my favorite movie off all time (yes, I consider it a single 11-hour movie) and I own all the extended editions, but not the theatrical editions or the gift set editions. So please don't rag on my LOTR spotlight. It's just the 1st thing that came to mind.

Aug 24 - 08:38 AM

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

And so on. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Aug 24 - 08:38 AM

new12play

Nathan Wells

Thankfully, they announced they were releasing the extended versions when they released the theatrical versions. Therefore, I knew not to pick those up. I don't mind when they do something like that, because at least when they put their first-run release out, it was packed with extras. I believe I really started to notice the change in the last year. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Batman Begins were the two that really started this trend for me. The 2-disc editions could've easily been the editions they released, but instead they hiked up their price for the 2-disc set and sold the bare bones editions for the cheap price they would've sold the same for 2 years earlier. If Memoirs of a Geisha and Rent can have first-run 2 disc sets that are acceptable and affordable, why can't studios provide the same.

This is just a pet peeve of mine. I'm sorry for the venting on this subject, but it really disturbs me to love a movie and find myself torn between buying the edition I really want or the cheaper single version, with a difference in price of nearly 10 dollars.

Aug 24 - 01:34 PM

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

Charlie and Batman are excellent examples. Thanks for helping my brain out on that one. :-)

Aug 25 - 07:59 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office