Will Spielberg Return to Helm "Jurassic Park 4"?

Summary

Steven Spielberg has said several very flattering things about the work Joe Johnston did on "Jurassic Park 3," but recent chit-chat seems to indicate that S.S. might be interested in stepping back into the director's chair (if and when) "JP4" starts moving forward. Back to Article

Comments

Mikeal420

David Goldman

[b]Don't Do It[/b]
Spielberg should continue doing the brilliant work he's been doing this past 10 years, not revert back to some old series that was never anything special. The first Jurassic park was thriling but was no masterpiece along the lines of Minority Report or AI. The Lost World lacked any depth and part 3 just sucked.
I thought Spielperg was going to direct a remake of "Westworld", what happened with that???

Sep 19 - 02:24 AM

the-russian

Nick Danczyk

"The first Jurassic park was thriling but was no masterpiece along the lines of Minority Report or AI."

AI? Really? Masterpiece? That's overexaggerating a bit, and to say that the first Jurassic Park wasn't as good as these, that's just silly...

Not that box office scores are a direct link to how "great" a film is, but didn't JP hold like the number 2 spot for highest grossing film of all time a few years back?

Sep 19 - 07:51 AM

South_park300

First Last

"The first Jurassic park was thriling but was no masterpiece along the lines of Minority Report or AI"

um, no?

Sep 19 - 04:36 AM

CyberJackal

Josh Nielsen

Bah, JP 3 was better than The Lost World. The Lost World was just plain awful.

Sep 19 - 05:44 AM

jeremyd4

jeremy d

..yes, because it was so much better

Sep 19 - 05:53 AM

new12play

Nathan Wells

Minority Report is one of this decade's masterpieces. Sorry, but I have to agree with Mikeal. I can't say that about AI. The first Jurassic Park was great, and I believe Spielberg could do something special with the fourth one.

Sep 19 - 07:06 AM

atreyu83

John Merriman

From Spielbergfilms.com:
"As Steven Spielberg's career has shown us in the past, anything can happen, but at this point, there is absolutely nothing to indicate that Johnston has passed on returning to the 'Jurassic Park' series or that Spielberg will be retaking the reins."

Source:

Moral of the story:
Rotten Tomatoes should stop posting baseless rumors and report more real news.

Sep 19 - 07:24 AM

Zen Bullet

J D

Jurassic Park was a great idea . . . for ONE MOVIE. It was flawed, but immensly entertaining and nicely-paced.

Building it into franchise never felt like an inspired decision, but more like one led by the wallet. The Lost World is one of Steven's absolute worst films. Sometimes his pictures are hit-and-miss, but other than the movie "Hook", never did they feel so comittee-run.

JP1--- 8.5/10
The Lost World--- 5/10
JP3--- 4/10
JP4--- I don't even want to know

I'd call AI an attempt at a masterpiece that fell on its face. It's the kind of failure that at least was a failure of vision rather than a failure of inspiration. It wasn't cynical, which was nice.

Minority Report was really good, a bit cold, but still worthwhile.

Sep 19 - 07:34 AM

the-russian

Nick Danczyk

Sep 19 - 07:51 AM

moross1018

maurice ross

[b]waste of time[/b]
dong jp4 would be a setback in SS standards. he has achieved greatness and
should be doing something else that would be more of a mark for the next great
director to take over.

Sep 19 - 07:52 AM

ramack

john swartz

[b]Let it die[/b]
Let the series die with the little dignity it has left.

Sep 19 - 08:16 AM

dubz33

Coy Williamson

[b]bring it back[/b]
yes i agree with that jp3was pretty weak and jp2 wasnt the best but just the point of dinosaurs living now is pretty cool i would like to see what S.S. does with the film BRING IT BACK

Sep 19 - 09:38 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

I would really like to see him do it.

Sep 19 - 11:21 AM

Ten Ton Alien

ffdsd fdsafsafd

Jurrasic Park -- Great, great movie.

Jurassic Park 2: -- Horrible peice of shit.

Stay away from 4.

Sep 19 - 12:10 PM

South_park300

First Last

Minority Report and AI aren't TERRIBLE movies, but the first Jurassic Park movie is far superior. i don't care what any of you say haha.
and yeah, JP3 was better than The Lost World.

Sep 19 - 01:05 PM

homeimp

Rob Wills

[b]Sure I'll go[/b]
I thought Jurassic Park III was actually pretty good. At least compared to the second one which had few great set piece scenes, but uninteresting characters.

Of course A.I. and Minority Report are better than all 3 of the dino movies. But it's rather unfair to compare them. They are different genres of film intended to appeal to completely different audiences.

If I could only have one of those films, I'd take A.I. The best of Spielberg combined with the best of Kubrick. Not quire a perfect fit perhaps, but for me it's about as good as it gets at the cinema.

I'll still go to JP4 if they make it, but I can't imagine a satisfactory plot. Of course I said that about JP3 and it gave me quite a bit more than I expected.

Sep 19 - 01:43 PM

Master King Sexington

Tyler Jones

If they show one dinosaur get shot in the face with a gun I'll be happy. You never see them shoot a dinosaur in any of the movies, but if I were going to a dino infested island I know I'd be packing. Well, whether he does it or not, I'll be there. I sorta hope he doesn't though cuz I need Indy 4 to be great

Sep 19 - 01:46 PM

[b]Minority Report Was okay and AI is one of the wors[/b]
That says it all, the original poster does not know what he is talking about. AI is the worst Kubrick movie, just barely nudging out Eyes Wide Shut. Oh and AI had the worst actor of all time, Haley Joel Osment.

Sep 19 - 03:01 PM

new12play

Nathan Wells

Minority Report is the best "intelligent" action film to come out in the last decade. The entire eye scene was magnificently filmed. The first 2/3rds was a wonder of cinema, and even though the final 1/3rd does desire a little more, the movie as a whole was simply movie magic. Show me a better sci-fi/action or even just action film than Minority Report in the last 10 years

Sep 19 - 05:13 PM

You want a better sci-fi movie? Serenity

You want a better action movie? POTC or POTC2 or Spiderman 1 or 2, Serenity, X2, Batman Begins, etc. Do you want me to keep going?

Sep 19 - 06:00 PM

new12play

Nathan Wells

You have got to be kidding me!! Get off your fanboy high of Serenity. The style alone of Minority Report puts it lightyears ahead of a story, that while orignal, could've easily been a TV movie of the week. POTC 1 or 2? Do you want any mustard to go with your hot dog? Minority Report has got brains to go with its braun. I can maybe agree with you on Spider-Man 2, but you'll have to keep going if you're going to spout out POTC 1 or 2 as being a better action film than Minority Report. Weak.

Sep 20 - 01:47 PM

andrew kruzel

Get off of your high horse. Minority Report was boring as all hell and i like a lot of boring movies. The action sucked, the story sucked, Tom Cruise is one of the worst actors of all time and there is nothing good about it. So yeas all the movies i named are 20 times better than Minority Report.

Sep 20 - 05:58 PM

ArmyofJuan

Juan Marable

If he's on a high horse, then you're on one of apollos fucking stallions pulling his great chariot across the god damn sky.

You said once before that Minority Report was "ok", now you're saying it's the worst? Make up your fucking mind.

And tell me what in the hell is so great about Serenity that makes it so much better than every other sci-fi movie ever made? Just because it was written by Joss Whedon? Serenity was simply average. There was absolutley nothing about that film that made it stand out. Nothing.

Sep 21 - 05:56 AM

new12play

Nathan Wells

Great rebuttal there...I can really see your point when you say the movie "sucks." Is there a reason? Just admit that you have no idea what you're talking about and you like to agree with the masses. You're a follower, plain and simple. Somebody tells you Serenity is the greatest sci-fi of all time and you'll agree. You're brainwashed kid. Get your own perspective on things before you post ignorant replies like "it sucks because it has Tom Cruise."

Sep 21 - 06:18 AM

andrew kruzel

Dude you are the brainwashed one. Oh my god Tom Cruise is in Minority Report so it must be awesome. The story was bland and boring and dragged on and on and on, the acting was bland and bad, the action was mediocre, and that is that. So who is the follower now? The guy who listens to critics and thinks that Tom Cruise is a good actor or me who actually uses his brain. I proved why it was bad, you have yet to prove why it is so great and why Serenity which had better acting, better directing, better story, better action, better everything is wrose than that.

Sep 21 - 03:29 PM

new12play

Nathan Wells

You're not proving anything. I'm not biased towards Tom Cruise like other people. The dude is definitely been nutty the past year. But that movie had style over substance. He shows what a good actor he can actually be. Minority Report was a spawn of Spielberg's talents at the time. If I said it was a Spielberg movie, would you get off your Cruise bashing...think outside the box. He was channeling Kubrick in most of his scenes (one thing A.I. contributed to). The visuals were above and beyond what Serenity put on screen. Yes, the budgets were a hell of lot different. I know that, but the sequences in Minority Report brought excitement, while also taking the time to have a thought in its brain. The entire spider sequence, the eerie abandoned hotel room with the eye surgery (Peter Stormare was excellent), the jetpack fight in the street, and Colin Farrel providing almost an equal to Tom Cruise in every scene...not to mention the movie was extremely original (in that I mean we haven't quite seen a story like that before). What more do you want me to add? How bout the lighting provided the perfect futuristic feel...Samantha Morton gave a subdued, yet unnoticed Oscar deserving performance, the special effects were top notch, the story never got too convoluted that you became lost, and there was an emotional impact not present in most action films. It was evident Serenity was a product of Star Wars, a bunch of space cowboys. I'm still perplexed at what you actually proved. You'd probably tell me The Rock or Armageddon were better action movies...oh wait, people on here hate Michael Bay so you would definitely not think that. Why don't you make up your mind for once. I know it's tough, but pop in Serenity again (probably never even seen the movie) and come up with a valid argument.

Sep 21 - 06:31 PM

andrew kruzel

You proved one of my points, Serenity did not have the same budget yet it surpassed it greatly. There was really nothing special about it.

PS. I actually liked The Rock, that was pretty good for when it came out. There is one line in it that i love i cant quite remember it but it is something like: "Losers always complain about trying their best while the winners go screw the prom queen. Well ... was the prom queen." I love that line.

Sep 21 - 11:02 PM

ArmyofJuan

Juan Marable

You havn't even proved why Serenity was good. Most of the sets on Serenity looked like they came straight from a tv show. The story was as cliche as cliche can be. Some of the characters were actually not that great due to their sub-par acting abilities. I'v never seen firefly, but after watching serenity i can see why it was canned. There is really nothing at all special about it.

Sep 21 - 08:09 PM

andrew kruzel

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that is funny because the sets on Serenity looked then times better then those of Minority Report. And if you want a cliche story look at Minority Report. It was so obvious and so bad that it was not even funny.

Sep 21 - 11:04 PM

ArmyofJuan

Juan Marable

Well it's obvious you're going to remain a prick for the rest of your life, so i guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. You obviously enjoy controdicting yourself far too much to notice that your head is shoved absurdly far up your ass.

You go beat off to your Joss Whedon directors commentary on Serenity and hear him explain how un-original his movie. Because as you said, there are (not) 50 other movies exactly like Minority Report.

Sep 22 - 02:08 AM

new12play

Nathan Wells

Hahahaha...I'm glad somebody else also sees through his ignorance.

Sep 22 - 05:32 AM

andrew kruzel

You know what is funny is that you think that i love Josh Whedon when i just like his movie. You on the other hand just loves Minority Report even though you have yet to prove anything good about it. So remain a fluffer for Speilberg and continue to love a really bad movie that has nothing redeemable about it. I am still waiting for you to give me one movie that is exactly like Serenity and proves that it is un-original. Because if you honestly think a movie about a cop trying to prove that his boss is corrupt is original then that means you have never seen any movies before.

Sep 22 - 01:47 PM

Aqueryan Reloaded

Andrew Bosma

Serenity was a thoroughly enjoyable film, although it's much more a western in space than a true sci-fi pic.

And yeah, okay....like POTC2 didn't suck worse than I don't know what. What a turd of a film. I wouldn't call The Lost World a great film by any stretch...but it sure wasn't as bloated and fetid as Dead Man's Chest. (Note: I did think the first one was a hoot.) I do, however, concur w/ the Spidey films, BB and X2.

Sep 20 - 05:28 PM

Sep 21 - 11:04 PM

ArmyofJuan

Juan Marable

Sep 22 - 02:08 AM

new12play

Nathan Wells

Hahahaha...I'm glad somebody else also sees through his ignorance.

Sep 22 - 05:32 AM

Sep 22 - 01:47 PM

Aqueryan Reloaded

Andrew Bosma

Sep 20 - 05:28 PM

MOO_V_NUT

Zachary Hasenyager

[b]JP4: Wait, There's Still More Dinos.[/b]
How can they possibly come up with a even half-way decent script/plot/character for a fourth JP movie. I really liked the first, despite some of the more "creative" aspects. And a sequel wasn't out of the question, even though it was disappointing. But a fourth, come on!

Sep 19 - 06:20 PM