Aronofsky to Go Biblical for His Next Movie

With "The Fountain" finally finished and ready for consumption, director Darren Aronofsky can turn his attentions toward a new project. And no, it's not that "Lone Wolf and Cub" remake we'd been hearing about.

From CHUD.com: "Will you do another studio film, and is Lone Wolf and Cub really dead?

Well, the big thing we're writing now is a studio film. Lone Wolf, Paramount never got the rights. And we developed a script, but now the rights don't exist.

That was so exciting for a moment there.

The new thing is even more exciting, and I'll give you an exclusive. I'm not going to tell you exactly what it is, but?it's a biblical epic.

In?Aramaic?

(laughs) In English!

What led you to that?

It's something I've wanted to do for a long time. Before Pi. Probably ten years ago, I had an idea. Actually, I wrote a poem about it when I was in 7th grade. I won this award for it -- my first writing award. So it's a story from the Bible that kind of stuck with me. About ten years ago I was at a museum that featured an exhibit that reminded me of it. So we've been trying to crack it for a while, and we finally figured out a direction. But?I can't tell you any more."

Speaking of more, click here for some.

Comments

zachdybs

Zach D

[b]sounds awesome[/b]
ummm...im excited :)

Nov 6 - 11:13 AM

Crenshaw

Bryan Winter

[b]Totally unrelated...[/b]
...but one of the previews before Flushed Away this weekend was The Nativity Story. Looked very promising. And something I can take my kids to. Certainly a much better faith-based film that that craptastic snuff film Gibson made.

Nov 6 - 11:14 AM

cinema82

amir shahidpour

[b]whats your problem with signs?[/b]
Are u talking about signs? if so, whats your problem with the faith-based themes in signs? signs is good movie. there is absolutely nothing inappropriate in that movie for kids.

it had a good, story, good script, good acting, humorous, and a fantastic scene with gibson and joaquin phoenix in the living rood.frankly, it made a valid point. people DO lose their faith. it happens. my god, even christians have lost their faith and regained them later on through inspiration.

Nov 7 - 12:14 PM

fizzypulp

Katie Teasdale

er...reading that comment i think he was probably talking about Passion of the Christ which Mel direcetd rather than Signs. Would make far more sense.

Nov 8 - 02:19 AM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

Aaronofsky's new film sounds promising, I thought the "Fountain" has been getting unfair reviews- it was no Stanly Kubrick but it was definitly visionary. Aaronofsky's work is always interesting and for once here's a director who doesn't use style for the sake of style, it actually means something in his films

TOTALLY UNRELATED but "The Passion" was just as violent as the Bible, was that a snuff book? I thought it was great, it was like viewing a painting of Christ's death rather than telling the story, very original for a semi-big budget film- just wish he left out the annoying flash back scenes

Nov 6 - 11:44 AM

rustdog

Rusty Baldwin

Aronofsky is one of the few art filmakers that gets public notice. It will be interesting to see his version of a bibical story that will, knowing his work probably upset the christian fundamentalists unlike "the passion" which was so openingly accepted and promoted by most churches.

Nov 6 - 01:44 PM

Impavido

P M

I am a very unreligious person but a biblical story can be quite interesting, especially if it's from the old testament.

I'm interested to see where Aronofsky will go with this.

Nov 7 - 06:38 AM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

I'm curious which story he will adapt. The Bible is full of awesome people, so it'd be neat to see a few films made.

Nov 7 - 07:16 AM

Pilgermann

Michael Warren

He should do a literal adaptation of Revelations. And if he doesn't, someone else should 'cause it would be craziness.

Nov 7 - 09:47 AM

Segkee

Lochhead Seth

I'm guessing it's a story from the Old Testament. Maybe Job. That's a good story. Also, Aronofsky,and I might be wrong, is not a christian, so, most likely, any story he chooses won't have Jesus in it. All the good stories don't :)

Nov 7 - 09:58 AM

cinema82

amir shahidpour

[b]whats your problem with signs?[/b]

Nov 7 - 12:14 PM

fizzypulp

Katie Teasdale

Nov 8 - 02:19 AM

fizzypulp

Katie Teasdale

Nov 8 - 02:19 AM

electrc

Edward Electrc

[b]Bible as fiction.[/b]
A biblical epic huh? Sounds promising. I hope he plans on doing the story where that Christ guy has sex with all those women and they have angel babies. I think it's important for people to know those kind of facts...like how big Christ's "cross" was (if you catch my drift).

Nov 8 - 05:24 PM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel