Heath Ledger Talks "Joker"

So now that we've all had time to digest the idea of "Heath Ledger = The Joker," the "Dark Knight" actor has chimed in with a few insights on how he'll approach the iconic character.

From an interview with Newsarama's Daniel Robert Epstein:

"DRE: Have they given or asked you to read certain comics?

HL: The Killing Joke was the one that was handed to me. I think it?s going to be the beginning of The Joker. I guess that book explains a little bit of where he?s from but not too much. From what I?ve gathered, there isn?t a lot of information about The Joker and it?s left that way.

DRE: Is doing the role of The Joker scary after Jack Nicholson did it so well?

HL: I?m not going for the same thing he went for. That would be stupid. It is also two very different directors with different styles. Tim Burton did a more fantastical kind of thing and Chris Nolan is doing nitty gritty handheld realism. I love what [Jack] did and that is part of why I want to do that role. I remember seeing it and thinking how much fun it would be to put on that mask and attempt to do something along those lines. But it would obviously be murder if I tried to imitate what he did."

Click here for the full interview.

Comments

agentjames007

joe fisher

Nolan's "nitty gritty handheld realism" is what made Begins so good, and Burton's "fantastical" approach is what made that movie blow. Burton's a good director, but Batman isn't a fairy tale. I like the way Heath is talking about the joker, I haven't read it in a while, but I think I remember "The Killing Joke" as one of the darker Batman comics........

Nov 8 - 05:40 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

I want a more deadly Joker. No laughs whatsoever. It would be a huge mistake to do a Jack Nicholson Joker. I know Nolan will give the fans what they want.

Nov 8 - 06:29 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

Killing Joke was definitely one of the darker Batman stories. It was pretty brutal stuff. If that's their inspiration, I think they're continuing on in the right direction!

Nov 8 - 06:31 AM

jeremyf1977

jeremy fein

Killing Joke was Great Comic Liteature, And everyone wants Homocidle Joker not Playful Joker from the 60's cartoon and the 60's TV show. They want the 90's Batman Animated Series and Killing Joke Joker. Now bring Harley Quinn.

Nov 8 - 06:40 AM

TheIceGhost

Harry Myland

agreed

Nov 8 - 07:22 AM

Bear45

Eli Thomas

Hey so... I was watching "Wedding Crashers" last night and it donned on me:
Rachel McAdams would be AWESOME as Harley Quinn!!!

Nov 8 - 08:39 AM

jeremyf1977

jeremy fein

Yeah but I also though Carrie Ann Moss from Matrix fame she had worked with Chris Nolan before and she is Strong and Femmone at the same time. Also ever notice Joker is the Only one batman cant save.

Joker Died in the 1989 version
Killing Joke.....I think
Batman Beyond....Retrun of the joker.

Notice a pattern?

Nov 8 - 11:22 AM

ripum853

William Pichkan

[b]Harley Quinn[/b]
Funny that you say that, because the other main girl from Wedding Crashers, Vince Vaughn's crazy squeeze, who's name I sadly forget at the moment...Ilsa something, has already been cast to play "Bruce's new love interest." But seeing as they billed Liam Neeson as Ducart in the first Batman film, who actually ended up to be Al'Gul, it wouldn't suprise me if this was a secret twist with the casting, and Ilsa would actually play Harley. I think she would be better as Harley, sure she would be a bit typecast, but still.

Nov 8 - 03:49 PM

TheIceGhost

Harry Myland

agreed

Nov 8 - 07:22 AM

Bear45

Eli Thomas

Hey so... I was watching "Wedding Crashers" last night and it donned on me:
Rachel McAdams would be AWESOME as Harley Quinn!!!

Nov 8 - 08:39 AM

jeremyf1977

jeremy fein

Joker Died in the 1989 version
Killing Joke.....I think
Batman Beyond....Retrun of the joker.

Notice a pattern?

Nov 8 - 11:22 AM

ripum853

William Pichkan

[b]Harley Quinn[/b]

Nov 8 - 03:49 PM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

Still, shouldn't the joker have a sadistic sense of humor at some points? If not, then Batman shouldn't try to resemble a bat. Oh, and about being fantastical, isn't that sort of the point? The original batman was both dark and fantastical. As long as the movies are dark, they'll be appealing.

Nov 8 - 09:17 AM

arpeggio191

Carl Myers

first off, holy crap this movie is going to rule! And second, Begins was well done because it was as realistic as that movie could have been. We all remember (whether we like it not) batman forever and batman and robin. Both those movies were fantastical, but waaaay too fantastical. I'm of course ignoring the other 794 flaws of those movies (nipples, batman isn't gay, cloony, o'donnel, silverstone, sheumacher, mr. freeze, poison ivy, etc)

It needs to be someone fantastical to keep people interested, and it needs to be dark because it's f-ing batman.

holy crap this movie is going to rule! now i'm going to have to watch Begins tonight.

Nov 8 - 10:03 AM

elziard

elzeard bouffier

i thought burton's films brought batman out of the light and into the shadows, where he belongs.
at the time, those films were visionary and completely unlike anything out there.
for the most part, they stand the test of time in their retro design.
fantastic those films are.

nolan brings him further into the shadows and credibility.

i believe it's a great step but we cannot discount how well actors like keaton, nicholson and pfeiffer shined in their roles and the advances burton helped establish the subsequent wave of batman successes (e.g. the animated series).
we could not have come from adam west to christian bale without burton's quirky and dark bruce and bat.

Nov 8 - 10:57 AM

jeremyf1977

jeremy fein

Joker Died in the 1989 version
Killing Joke.....I think
Batman Beyond....Retrun of the joker.

Notice a pattern?

Nov 8 - 11:22 AM

ripum853

William Pichkan

[b]Harley Quinn[/b]

Nov 8 - 03:49 PM

killermonkey8822

Joey Chid

This movie looks awesome.........i can't wait till we get to see a trailer or even a teaser i want more info about this movie! batman begins was like one of the best films of 2005 and i'm sure that this one will be just as good or maybe even better..........and i don't really know who should play harley quinn........they shouldn't even introduce her till later if you ask me and that's probably waht there gonna do........i still want to know who plays harvery dent.

Nov 8 - 03:55 PM

starvin

Brady Greene

What is with all you guys demanding serious violence from The Joker? "I want the Joker to kill everyone and laugh at their bleeding dead bodies. I want darkness!" Geez people, movies are great they are an art form, but don't disrespect yourselves by....getting just....weird.

Nov 8 - 05:44 PM

piscesdreams

Anthony Flores

[b]damn right they're weird[/b]
Yeah, please no serious violence from the Joker. I want something I can still touch myeslf to when I watch it.

Nov 8 - 07:41 PM

starvin

Brady Greene

Sarcasm noted and ignored.

Nov 8 - 10:08 PM

jeremyf1977

jeremy fein

Get a life starvin WE WANT HOMOCIDLE JOKER

Nov 9 - 09:55 AM

piscesdreams

Anthony Flores

[b]damn right they're weird[/b]

Nov 8 - 07:41 PM

starvin

Brady Greene

Sarcasm noted and ignored.

Nov 8 - 10:08 PM

starvin

Brady Greene

Sarcasm noted and ignored.

Nov 8 - 10:08 PM

Chim

Robby Robertson

Jack Nicholson's joker wasn't good acting - it was good clowning. The character was completely undeveloped, which is a good thing considering Tim Burton's lame vision didn't allow for any other approach or even a hint of depth.

I want joker to be a performer for himself only, and his sense of humor is insane and unpredictable. No one wants Joker to 'laugh at bleeding dead bodies' because bleeding dead bodies aren't particularly funny. But if, however, Batman had Joker cornered and Joker's last resort was to take a quick bite out of his own arm and spit it at the Bat, the 'real-life' Joker might reward his own joke with a fit of gasping laughter.

I chose the above example for its randomness rather than horrible violence, but wanted something violent enough to make my point that violence correlates well with psychotic humor.

Nov 9 - 02:02 AM

jeremyf1977

jeremy fein

Get a life starvin WE WANT HOMOCIDLE JOKER

Nov 9 - 09:55 AM

bastard_guy180

Chris Wilding

I want a Joker that not only laughs at bleeding dead bodies but also one who then frolicks in the same blood, splashing it all over the camera.

Yeah, I want him fo be F***ing nuts.

Nov 9 - 10:54 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I think what everyone wants is a Joker that isn't himself a joke. He's supposed to be crazy, homicidal. Bloody corpses aren't funny to us, sure, but an insane psychopath might find it hillarious.

Nov 9 - 01:06 PM

Merlin235

Merlin Ambrosius

Personally, I'm with Starvin. Psychotic doesn't mean revelling in violence. And even if it does mean that for the character, it doesn't have to be shown on screen.

Nov 9 - 02:14 PM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies