Alfonso Cuaron Wants Back In with "Harry Potter"

Alfonso Cuaron, who directed the third Harry Potter film, gave fans hope that they may see another Potter film of the quality of his "Prisoner of Azkaban." During a press conference for his Christmas Day opener "Children of Men," Cuaron addressed the children's magic franchise.

"I would love to have the opportunity of revisiting the 'Harry Potter' universe," he said. "It's an amazing experience to do those films because while you?re doing those films, you're surrounded by this amazing beneficial energy."

Cuaron and star Daniel Radcliffe on the set of "Prisoner of Azkaban"

That energy goes beyond just the Hollywood films. 'Harry Potter' is an entire world of media and human interest. "Everything that surrounds the J.K. Rowling creation, I'm not talking about the film franchise but the creation of J.K. Rowling, is impregnated with this amazing beneficial energy. So for me it was two amazing years of my life. I wouldn't mind at all revisiting that."

The next film in the franchise, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," is directed by David Yates and will hit theaters July 13, 2007.

Comments

rainfall

nicholas butler

Well as much as people like te third movie it's the only one i can't even sit down and watch again so i hope he doesn't come back beacues i enjoy the potter films and wold hate to have 2 of them i couldn't watch.

Nov 18 - 09:52 PM

ESotSM

Ryan McEachern

Please, the series needs him. PoA was the only great film in the series because it was so UNLIKE the books. He wasn't slavishly faithful to the words, he made his film his way, not the way J.K. Rowling wanted. She wrote the books and granted, should have some say in the process, but he is a director and had a great vision for the film and it worked out perfectly. It's actually the ONLY one I've watched again.

Nov 18 - 10:02 PM

winterchili

kev sull

He is the only comptent director to touch the series but the whole thing is really too worthless to waste talent on. They might as well just have Christ Columbus return to completely the abortion of a series and one day years from now a group of directors will remake the series properly.

Nov 18 - 10:28 PM

TheIceGhost

Harry Myland

[b]A long winded, extremely nerdy HP response.[/b]
I'd have to say PoA is, in my opinion, the best FILM of the lot thus far. I would compare Cuaron's film to the way that Peter Jackson's crew adapted the LotR. You take the ELEMENTS of the book and distort them in a way to make a competent film. There are a lot of HP fans who like Cuaron's film the least because he strays from the book, but he did exactly what you're suppose to do, and I think it's a much better film because of it.

If you follow the book page by page, it feels that way. Sorcerer's Stone did that so well that I can't even pick up the book anymore (which isn't a good thing). Chamber was looser but not quite there. On the other hand Goblet of Fire felt like it was too compressed and rushed. In my opinion it would have benefited greatly as being two films to help break up the 3 tasks better. It wasn't bad per say, but to me PoA still beats it out on many different levels.

Order of the Phoenix is going to be interesting. I'm anxious to see how they'll edit this one down. There isn't the 3 tasks like in Goblet, so it shouldn't feel so rushed, unless you've read the books (like all the future pissed off HP fans who'll be saying "I can't believe they cut that out!").

Half-blood Prince (Book 6) felt like a big prelude to the last book in the series. It sets everything up for Book 7, so to me this would be a good one for Cuaron to come back for. I think HBP has the best shot of being the best film of the lot simply because there isn't a whole lot there, which will give whoever directs it a lot of breathing room to whittle it down and really take a good stab at getting some real character development done. Out of everyone who's directed thus far (pending Yates) Cuaron's style would best suit HBP. There are some really dark scenes in that book as well as a whole lot of emotional stuff that I think Cuaron could really make something out of.

So in short, Cuaron should come back to direct Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince...in my opinion.

Sorry to be long-winded on that, just bored and had to get my complete thought out there. Trailer for Order hits Monday by the way, and from what I've seen it looks pretty gooooood.....later.

Nov 18 - 11:03 PM

IneffaBelle

Lauren Soffer

YES! I am always trying to explain this to people. And I really liked how you summed it up here. Novels and films are two very different medium that have different strengths and weaknesses (ie first person narrative consistantly works well in books which the equivilent voice over almost always fails in films). If you want the movie to be exactly like the book you'd be better off just rereading the book.

POA is by FAR my favorite film because it strived to be a great film not just a great adaptation of Harry Potter. And it was the only one to utilize all of the resources of film to tell the story. Lighting. Cinematography. (sorry Chris Colombus but zooming in every time you want something to be dramatic doesn't count). Costumes. Music. (This was the only one in which I felt Williams' talents were put to good use)

Ultimately Cuaron made choices. I don't agree with every one. But he made them. And in books ABOUT the importance of choices, it really suprises me how much most fans wish the films wouldn't make any.

Nov 19 - 02:02 AM

mizzoucritic

Sean Ludwig

Does anyone else find that picture of Cuaron and Radcliffe a little odd?

P.S. I'd love to see Cuaron back in the game on another Potter film. He's the only director to bring his own true vision to the franchise. And as sexual tensions arise in the action, he'd be perfect for adding that element to the Half-Blood Prince film. (Using Y Tu Mama Tambien as my basis for that.)

Nov 18 - 11:58 PM

IneffaBelle

Lauren Soffer

Nov 19 - 02:02 AM

tricksta_feet17

Trevor Metscher

I have to say that I like PoA the least out of the series. It is clear that Cuaron brought his own vision to the table, but I didn't like it very much. There were too many random establishing shots and entrances, and the casting of Dumbledore was weak, and it is my understanding that if one didn't read the book, then the story was a little hard to follow, especially toward the end. When I read these books, my vision of Rowling's world is very similar to the other three movies (particularly the 4th installment), and I'd like to think that most people who have read the books feel the same way.

Nov 19 - 05:54 AM

codgie2

Clarissa Codrington

Stay away Cuaron.

Nov 19 - 08:11 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Hell yea bring him back, PoA is my second favorite film and I thought he did a nice job with it. But Goblet of Fire is by far my favorite, so I would like to see Newell come back.

Nov 19 - 10:04 AM

agentjames007

joe fisher

It would be good if he came back for Half Blood Prince because that was a darker book and he has a darker style. I cannot WAIT to see Children of Men

Nov 19 - 10:53 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

I didn't care for Harry Potter until the third movie so he's got my vote.

Nov 19 - 11:11 AM

red_wine

ankit jhunjhunwala

POA was worse than garbage. Even the series overall is OK even though I love the books and liked GOF a lot. But POA, my god! Half the shots were devoted to show the changing of the seasons.

POA sucked real bad.

Nov 19 - 11:46 AM

rgallitan

robin thompson

My feeling is that each film has been better than the one before it. PoA brought a lot of great improvements to the series, not least of which the gorgeous photography and incredible sense of place. And a real feeling of whimsy and atmosphere and drama. It took itself seriously as a film.

Yup, Azkaban was really good, and WOULD be my favorite of the series... except that the one thing it botched was the Sirius Black mystery. It didn't unfold very well, for one thing, or hardly at all, for another, and the result was a jarring and garbled infodump in the final confrontation, which was not only confusing to a non-reader like me, but also made it feel like a cheap, soap-opera plot twist.

The ironic thing is that I'm definitely a champion of a filmmaker's right to change things. Books and movies are completely different mediums, and a story that works well in one, probably won't work well in the other without at least some changes to the structure. But when I brought up my concerns about PoA to my fiance, and she explained how the book did it - stuff like the Firebolt arriving earlier in the plot - I thought, "Yes! That's EXACTLY what it needed! Why did they change that?"

But that's not completely Cuaron's fault. People are usually too quick to slam directors where writers or editors or producers are to blame. Still, while I wouldn't mind at all if he came back, I think he's done his job. He raised the bar, and showed all future directors what a Potter film is capable of. Goblet of Fire was almost as interesting visually, and it was the best yet at tellling the story - best at the light, funny parts, and best at the dark, serious parts. It was still rushed in the beginning, though, so we'll see if Yates can improve even further.

Nov 19 - 11:53 AM

dastly75

Sushiil Shettigar

I really hope Cuaron gets it, I was sorely disappointed with the 4th movie. The 3rd movie was awesome on the other hand.

Nov 19 - 12:02 PM

islandhome

frank burger

babies

Nov 19 - 12:03 PM

Infernal

Danny Sybrenson

Let's wait and see the fifth one first. Let's see if David Yates does a good job, then decide. Because if this is actually a good film, why not bring back Yates?

Although they'll probably be decided before Order of the Phoenix's release. Hmm. The third movie didn't seem all that great to me anyway. Fourth one was fantastic in my opinion.

Nov 19 - 12:55 PM

vader_of_vjun

Timothy Maddocks

Ugh. Cuaron bores.

Nov 19 - 02:01 PM

Teewana

P McG

I didn't like Harry Potter at all until the Azkaban film came out. I think it would be awesome if he came back... anyone but Chris.

Nov 19 - 03:15 PM

killermonkey8822

Joey Chid

they all sucked if you ask me, they just got worse and worse as they went on

Nov 19 - 07:31 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

[b]You all suck[/b]
everything everyone says here is bs and if you disagree with me then you are going to burn in hell and you are all a bunch of babies

time saver for all of you :)

Nov 19 - 07:39 PM

Kid_Ikarus

Josh Thornton

You should run for President.

Nov 20 - 09:48 AM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast