MGM Says "Not So Fast" to the End of Jackson's "Hobbit"

And the "Hobbit" arguments continue! Last we heard, Peter Jackson was divorcing himself from the project because of a legal battle with New Line. So the studio said fine, we'll get someone else to direct it. And the fans were angry. But now comes MGM to the rescue?

From Moviehole: "Yesterday, the "Lord of the Rings" director told TheOneRing.net that New Line have removed him from the project. The filmmaker?s statement also reiterated in detail his stance on "The Hobbit" -- that he is not willing to have a serious conversation about directing the film until his ongoing lawsuit with New Line over what he considers improper accounting practices over "LOTR" profits is settled.

New Line's given reason for proceeding sans Jackson is that the studio's rights to the pic are about to expire, and seeing as the lawsuit with Jackson isn't moving ahead, well, the message was that New Line is.

An MGM spokesperson tells Variety today that they're going to fight for Jackson. The spokesperson states, "The matter of Peter Jackson directing 'The Hobbit' films is far from closed."

Woohoo! Flex that copyright muscle, MGM! (For the record, New Line has the production rights for "The Hobbit" and a second LOTR prequel, yet for some convoluted reason from years back, MGM owns the distribution rights for a Hobbit flick. Fingers crossed!)

Comments

privatepilesleftnipple

bobo boboki

I read this article, now im on the verge of tears.

Nov 22 - 04:07 AM

ajmueller

Alex Mueller

Why do you do this on EVERY ARTICLE?

Nov 22 - 08:41 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

Here's hoping...

Nov 22 - 04:44 AM

Hamsack

Ham Sack

Damn, I do hope MGM will be able to pull this off!

Nov 22 - 05:53 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Please, is there any moderator out there that can ban this privatepile guy? What a twit.

Nov 22 - 06:12 AM

Xavier Telouran

Drew Demorotski

Oh for pete's sake, New Line. Give him five million to settle, fifty for the next two movies, and then reap in the 1.4 billion dollars they're likely to bring in. I can account with the best of them.

Nov 22 - 06:38 AM

zachdybs

Zach D

[b]come on...[/b]
MGM MGM MGM !!!!

Nov 22 - 07:56 AM

Samwise Gamgee

Ryan Sanderson

MGM! I LOVE YOU!

Nov 22 - 08:02 AM

ajmueller

Alex Mueller

Why do you do this on EVERY ARTICLE?

Nov 22 - 08:41 AM

toniokruger

adi nugroho

[b]wow[/b]
this is interesting. Let's see how this pans out...

Nov 22 - 10:37 AM

utti

Diana Le

I so called it. Thank goodness for complicated movie rights.

Nov 22 - 10:49 AM

TheIceGhost

Harry Myland

I just want this crap to end, is he directing, or isn't he? This is worse than a soap opera.

Nov 22 - 11:20 AM

Samwise Gamgee

Ryan Sanderson

He MUST direct it. I don't care what sort of a director you think he is. You can't help but acknowledge he's cares more about the subject material and the fanbase, will take more care to research every element, has the returning actors on his side(We NEED Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis, neither of whom would likely appear without Jackson), is based in New Zealand, which as far as I'm concerned, is Middle Earth on earth, will use Weta digital, the ONLY studio I want handling Smaug, and has done more with Middle Earth than anyone else save Tolkien. No, if anyone is going to do this, it has to be Pete, and I'm willing to wait for him to make sure this is done right. Also, that other prequel film thing sounds like the worst idea ever unless he's in charge. He'd take care to keep it interesting. Otherwise if someone else does it, I couldn't imagine how bad that could be. MGM knows that they won't bring out as high of numbers without Jackson. New Line may hold a grudge, but MGM won't let that hurt the movie sales.

Nov 22 - 12:06 PM

shy_lightning

Suz O'Connell

[b]I have to agree...[/b]
New Zealand is definately Middle-earth on Earth and I think Peter Jackson did a fantastic job with LOTR... It's an incredible feat to adapt Tolkein's beloved books to film, what with the time contstraints. And I would love to see the "Ians" return and Andy Serkis of course. As to the other "prequel", if what I've read is correct, it will cover the stories that connect the Hobbit with the Lord of the Rings, perhaps showing how Frodo came to live with Bilbo and so on, which I think would be fun because I think too many people glance over that stuff and it adds so much to all of the stories. At any rate, yup, I'm more than willing to wait for the movies if it means Peter Jackson and his team are at the helm. So, I'm crossing my fingers.

Nov 22 - 07:24 PM

Brad 3000

Brad Arnold

Does anyone know what the "Second LOTR prequel" is, I've heard it mentioned in a couple articles now, but frankly I have no idea what they're talking about. Is someone planning on doing The Silmarillion or something? Cause that would be a horrible idea - at least in my book. Also, I'd really rather see The Hobbit made as one movie, not two - as has been suggested. I know the studios would make more money with two films, but the story doesn't really need it. It'll just wind up bloated.

Nov 22 - 12:53 PM

dagreenman18

Brian Lorenzo

wait, there are 2 LOTR prequels? i thought it was just the Hobbit.

Nov 22 - 01:00 PM

Hamsack

Ham Sack

As far as I know the Hobbit is planned as 2 movies.

The first will be The Hobbit as in book form. Like actually "The Hobbit" movie.

The second "Hobbit" movie will be a movie that's connecting The Hobbit and LOTR.
So I guess that's what the "second prequel" is referring to.

The following article should clear up the second prequel

Nov 22 - 01:43 PM

Gazmataz

Gary Matthews

[b]An Animated Hobbit?[/b]
Has anyone suggested to these studio's that an animated The Hobbit would make more sense? Tolkien wrote this story as a child's fairy tale after all. I think that if everyone want's Peter Jackson involved then why not let him use his animation studio to produce the entire movie. The original cast could all make appearances, as voice-over's. Everyone knows that any CG movie that has come out in the last few years has had equal amounts of adult themes mixed in with the kids story. No reason this can't be done well, especially seeing any of the Final Fantasy CG movies, reality sometimes isn't good enough for creating these world's. Peter did such a good job with Gollum I think a lot of people would back my idea. It'd give Andy Serkis something to do too.

Nov 22 - 04:12 PM

killermonkey8822

Joey Chid

hmm well i can't really say that it wouldn't be a bad idea...........but they already made an animated hobbit and an animated lord of the rings series and they all sucked i think motion picture would be better but for the first hobbit film i don't see how he would add lots of gore so he might be shooting for a PG rating for the first film and a PG-13/14a rating for the second part because it's connected with lord of the rings and it will probably have some war violence so yeah that's just what i'm guessing...........ian mckellen,ian holm (i think that's what the guy who played bilbo's name is) and andy serkis better come back. I don't know who else would replace them there all pretty spot on as their characters if you ask me.

Nov 22 - 05:06 PM

killermonkey8822

Joey Chid

Nov 22 - 05:06 PM

shy_lightning

Suz O'Connell

[b]I have to agree...[/b]

Nov 22 - 07:24 PM

Mr. Glass

First Last

Anyone that thinks New Line should pay for this, please sign this boycott:

[URL]http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/NLine/index.html[/URL]

The only way we are going to get New Line to cave is to start taking money from their pockets!

Nov 22 - 07:35 PM

the Big X

Robert O'Donnell

It sounds to me like this is all jackson's fault. I mean, he's a frickin millionaire now, why does hee need to go sue New Line to get more money and ruin the Hobbit for the rest of us?

Nov 23 - 04:53 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup