"Batman & Robin" Writer Gets $4 Million for "Da Vinci" Prequel

Oscar-winning screenwriter Akiva Goldsman is allegedly earning a $4 million dollar paycheck for his adaptation of Dan Brown's "Angels & Demons," which features the character played by Tom Hanks in an adventure that predates what went on in "The Da Vinci Code." Yeah, just like what happened with "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

From Deadline Hollywood Daily: "Akiva Goldsman, who adapted Dan Brown's worldwide bestseller into a $755.6 mil hit pic, is receiving $4 million for the Da Vinci Code sequel in the works by both Imagine Entertainment and Sony Pictures. Not only is that major moola, but agents are telling me this represents a new $$$ high for hiring a screenwriter (not buying a spec script) -- and not even an original screenplay, but an adaptation of a book. And, no, Goldsman isn't getting a producer credit, so this is for straight scribbling."

Click here for the rest of the report, but before you do that, let's all take a look at Akiva Goldsman's batting average: "The Client" (1994), "Silent Fall" (1994), "Batman Forever" (1995), "A Time to Kill" (1996), "Batman & Robin" (1997), "Lost in Space" (1998), "Practical Magic" (1998), "A Beautiful Mind" (2001), "I, Robot" (2004), "Cinderella Man" (2005), "The Da Vinci Code" (2006), and the upcoming "I Am Legend."

Comments

arpeggio191

Carl Myers

awesome. now if only joel shumacher would direct it. we'd have tom hanks wearing a really nice, but casual suit, with nipples and a giant cog piece.

Nov 24 - 07:28 AM

Bob*

bob askins

rofl! great now you gave me a reason to had nightmares! XD

Nov 24 - 08:35 AM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

Damn. Talk about a hit or miss guy. He's written some amazing scripts and some HORRIBLE one. I wonder how Angels and Demons will end up

Nov 24 - 07:58 AM

gratefuldawg

Byron Sauer

[b]Talk about expensive knee pads...[/b]
Did he make a deal with the devil? How could such a hack continue to get work in such a fickle industry.

Nov 24 - 08:33 AM

Bob*

bob askins

rofl! great now you gave me a reason to had nightmares! XD

Nov 24 - 08:35 AM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

Seems like a perfect fit.

Nov 24 - 08:38 AM

Mad Dog

Matt Horton

Wait..He's paid 4 million? He wrote one of the worst movies in history ( Batman and Robin) and he's getting paid 4 million??I'm in the wrong business....

Nov 24 - 08:49 AM

KwazyWabbit

Chad Pourciau

This guy looks like he has his good scripts and bad. I loved The Da Vinci Code so I am looking forward to this film. I wonder who the director will be. I sure hope Hanks returns as well.

Nov 24 - 08:58 AM

agentjames007

joe fisher

Wow that's weird. He either has crappy scripts or good ones.

Nov 24 - 09:05 AM

MyDearestFosca

Matt Loewen

Good... GOD! How is this guy getting another chance at this francise after the critical bombing of Da Vinci Code?!

Wait, I can guess... it made a lot of money. The public WANTED THE DA VINCI CODE to be good, even though it was anything but, so they saw it over and over again. It's another case of PHANTOM MENACE syndrome.

A sad state of affairs indeed.

Nov 24 - 09:30 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

If this news doesn't bring on the second coming then there is no God.

Nov 24 - 11:25 AM

jeremyf1977

jeremy fein

Will Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy be in this one? And will there be puns amongst puns?

Nov 24 - 11:49 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Keep in mind this guy also has A Time to Kill and Cinderella man on his resume. Both of which were pretty good movies. I'm not saying B&R wasn't craptacular to the extreme, I'm just saying maybe a lot of that had to do with Joel Shumacher, The costume designers and Arnold's totally aweful delivery of Mr. Freeze's lines. Also, I didn't think Da Vinci Code was bad at all. A bit long and totally historically impossible, but that's more Dan Browns fault than anyone else's all in all I found it a decent bit of fiction.

Nov 24 - 12:25 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

There is no cool way for any actor playing Victor Freeze to say, "Yo, Batman. Chill out." Face it. This is one writer who has found his kryptonite. He's done some good work, but he's not yet escaped the hate cloud over his head for having written probably the most poorly written script for a comic book movie ever produced. I'd of forgiven him some time ago if it were Superman he screwed up, but Batman! He'll get no slack from me.

May 1 - 08:59 AM

dagreenman18

Brian Lorenzo

wo, im so confused, on one hand i wanna punch his nads off for Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. on the other hand, i want to thank him for Cinderrella Man ( TOTALLY underrated movie ) and A Beautiful Mind. it's a conundrum for sure.

Nov 24 - 04:04 PM

Paul_Is_Drunk

Paul Andersen

How? Why?

This just completely destroyed my world vision. How can one man be so good and so bad at the same time?

Surely some scientists are working on this problem as we speak.

Nov 24 - 08:25 PM

TradeYourselfIn

Martin Baran

[b]You're right![/b]
University of Minnesota just started a five million dollar study on it. Unfortunately it's probably a waste of time, since how Goldsman can write scripts that good and that bad at the same time is probably one of those mysteries that soon will be mentioned with one breath along Bermuda Triangle Loch Ness monster, etc.

Nov 24 - 08:49 PM

Simple

Clint Bell

I can't believe the same guy wrote "Batman and Robin" and "Cinderella Man". Talk about hit or miss!

Nov 24 - 09:01 PM

GandalfTheWhite

Tom Hargrove

I don't know you, but I like you already.

Nov 24 - 09:13 PM

GandalfTheWhite

Tom Hargrove

I don't know you, but I like you already.

Nov 24 - 09:13 PM

GoldenGoat

John Larson

I'm with you guys... I can't imagine a writer with greater discrepancy between their best and worst work.

I mean, he's written a BEST PICTURE WINNER (albeit an unjust one, as Fellowship was robbed of that Oscar) and simultaneously, one of the WORST MOVIES EVER in Batman and Robin.

Seriously. Wtf.

Nov 25 - 06:05 AM

Lionclaw

Brendan Wright

[b]That's a misleading article title, not cool.[/b]
Yeah, like others have been saying, Goldsman has more than made up for Batman & Robin. A Time to Kill, A Beautiful Mind, I Robot, Cinderella Man, and Da Vinci Code wasn't bad, either. In my opinion, the only thing wrong with this is that Hollywood doesn't know how to branch out and give other writers a chance. It's pretty sad that the same 2 or 3 guys write all the major dramas and thriller adaptations these days. It's even more sad that most of the studio movies these days are adapted from books or comics. Now, if Akiva Goldsman were to come out with an ORIGINAL screenplay, then I'd be very interested to hear about that.

Nov 25 - 10:21 AM

Paul_Is_Drunk

Paul Andersen

Your ideas intrigue me, and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

...

I see.

Nov 25 - 11:42 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Go Homer!

Nov 25 - 12:26 PM

Doomherald

Mohammed Khan

[b]?[/b]
He made up with I, Robot? Are you on crack?

Nov 25 - 10:45 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Well first he'd have to have an original thought.

May 1 - 09:01 AM

Paul_Is_Drunk

Paul Andersen

Your ideas intrigue me, and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

...

I see.

Nov 25 - 11:42 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Go Homer!

Nov 25 - 12:26 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast