Cate Blanchett Resisted "Elizabeth" Sequel Before Reprising Oscar-Nominated Role

Historical period pieces don't usually generate franchises, so the idea of a sequel to 1998's Oscar-nominated "Elizabeth" was unusual in Hollywood.

The follow-up, "The Golden Age," about Queen Elizabeth's reign, all hinged on getting Cate Blanchett back in the corset. She was on the fence until director Shekhar Kapur spun his magic on her.

"I just said no to 'Elizabeth' because I thought I've done it, I don't need to do it again," Blanchett said. "But we had one great conversation, he and Geoffrey [Rush] and I when I suddenly saw it as being something about part of the aging process and taking her to a different level. He wanted to make a film about immortality. So when he talks about it in those broad sweeps, and also a film about holy war, which I thought was very timely."

The idea of a reunion, and adding some new hunks into the mix helped the sales pitch. "When he talked about it from that perspective and then he said Clive Owen's going to do it and Geoffrey's going to do it again, I just went, 'Oh, I'm just churlish if I say no to it.' So I couldn't refuse."

Blanchett and Kapur remain close since making the first film together, so whether another "Elizabeth" or something else, they were bound to collaborate again. "Shekhar and I all during the first one were talking about trying to find something else to do together. We're good friends and we've stayed in contact, so he's a man of 1000 ideas."

Comments

mojodaddy

joe fish

Awesome!

Dec 5 - 07:44 AM

LifeAfter

J. Greene

[b]word[/b]
THIS is a sequel worth making

Dec 5 - 08:30 AM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

The Helen Mirren mini-series from HBO was so much better, and factually spot on. I'd recommend checking it out on DVD, as it was released recently. They didn't even need to add any hunks into the mix!

Dec 5 - 10:17 AM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

Yeah the Mini-series was good and maybe as a history lesson it surpasses Cate Blanchett's Elizabeth, but as art and film, the theatrical version was infinitly better. The HBO version just took random events from her life that most people already knew about and dramatized them, Blanchett's version told a much deeper story, with dark imagry and strong character depth. It was more like a film than a history lesson for highschool freshmen

Dec 5 - 11:06 AM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

Actually, I thought the mini series was just as, if not more cinematic than the movie. I don't see it as an art film either. Unless making up history is an art.

Dec 5 - 01:09 PM

Kid_Ikarus

Josh Thornton

HELLL YESSS!! Im not one for period pieces really, but I had to see Elizabeth for extra credit in college and ended up LOVING it!! Eccleston was dope in this movie... And if anyone remembers Daniel Craig as the priest...

Dec 5 - 10:29 AM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

Dec 5 - 11:06 AM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

Dec 5 - 01:09 PM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

Dec 5 - 01:09 PM

dracus

Cap Nord

What an unexpected surprise from one of the classiest and greatest actresses in the world today. She owns the role of Elizabeth the same way Ben Kingsley owns the role of Ghandi and Philip Seymour Hoffman owns the role of Capote. It's refreshing to know that there's already one movie worth looking forward to next October.

Dec 5 - 05:46 PM

Box Office Wrapup
Box Office Wrapup

Captain America Triumphs Again

WonderCon
WonderCon

175 cosplay pictures

Highlights
Highlights

Picture gallery of stoners in film

<em>If I Stay</em>