RT-UK Exclusive: Dragons invade London at "Eragon" Premiere

The champagne flowed, the night was long, and a dragon flew about the Royal Courts of Justice. It could only have been the World Premiere of "Eragon," in London's Leicester Square, and Rotten Tomatoes UK was there from the off; on the red carpet, at the pre-show cocktail party in the cinema and at the after-party at the aforementioned bastion of silly wigs.

Joining us on the guest list were a plethora of stars from the film and assorted Z-list Brittery affording us an opportunity to bump shoulders with the likes of Jeremy Irons, Robert Carlyle, Sienna Guillory, John Malkovich and, erm, Jono Coleman. But you can't win 'em all.

But last night belonged to just one young man: Edward Speleers who plays the titular dragon-rider in the film. With friends, family and girlfriend in tow, he ran into us several times over the course of the evening, and each time we caught him with a slightly bigger grin on his face than the last. And yet as full of wide-eyed wonder as he might have been, when we finally harangued him into an interview there was no doubting how quickly he'd been picking up the craft. Though with Jeremy Irons at his side, that's hardly surprising.

"It's a one-off opportunity, basically, to work with someone like Jeremy," he told RT-UK, "and in many ways I guess I went to acting school. When you have Jeremy Irons playing your mentor you're bound to learn a lot from him and he was a real father figure for me."

And for a good portion of filming he was alone on-screen with Irons; the addition of their third co-star, a twenty-foot dragon, to happen after shooting wrapped. Bringing Saphira to life might be one of the film's proudest achievements, but getting to grips with the work-in-progress was a challenge, Speleers told us.

"It's bizarre; it's such an unnatural thing to be talking and acting with something that doesn't exist" he said. "When you're talking to a tennis ball it's quite off-putting but then you realize, 'Hang on, I'm working with this so-called tennis ball for months and months, I need to learn to enjoy it and to appreciate it.' You go to the world of a nine year-old, basically, and just let your imagination go crazy and do the work for you."

Acting opposite an imaginary dragon didn't present Speleers with his biggest challenge, though. That was reserved, he said, for working up the courage to watch the movie and brave the crowds at the premiere. "It's overwhelming," he laughed. "I don't think you can prepare yourself for this with the fans! But at the end of the day, I want to be an actor and it's as simple as that. Everything else, if it comes with it, it's a great bonus."

His co-star, the immensely beautiful Sienna Guillory, told RT-UK how impressed she was with Speleers' natural gift for acting. "I did a film called "The Principles of Lust" before "Eragon" which is still one of my favourite acting experiences and most of the people were not actors and there was a genuine thing going on, you know, you can't pretend," she told us, "And that's what's so brilliant about Ed's talent; it's raw and you don't know what to expect."

And Ed wasn't the only teenager to impress her in the "Eragon"-verse; the book's young author, Christopher Paolini, is a prodigious talent, she says. "I was completely blown away by the book," she said, "I didn't move for six hours; I just couldn't put it down."

The party raged on until the early hours of this morning, the Royal Courts of Justice overtaken by giant projection screens throwing up clips from the film, a spotlight of a "Castlevania"-esque dragon-rider circling the hall and, naturally, a grand amount of media types. And we're proud to report that we outlasted the best of them. Then woke up with very sore heads.

Comments

killthemall

mynameis mynameis

Eragon looks like it will be supremely retarded.

Dec 12 - 01:17 PM

Banana Kid

Johnny Estes

Dragons are cool, and if it still has the charm and personality the book has, it could be good.

The trailers have tried to pass it off as Lord of the Rings, but Eragon isn't Lord of the Rings. It's Star Wars with dragons and really endearing characters. So unless they completely screwed up the movie and made it into Lord of the Rings, it's got a shot.

Dec 12 - 03:23 PM

IHATEBANANAKID

Ihatebananakid Ihatebananakid

[b]<3[/b]
Dear Bananakid,

Yeah! I love dragons too! I love how they are like, y'know, totally inexistant and imaginary! I also like Yu-Gi-Oh cards. I mean they're just sooooo cool don't ya think? I love those wonderful "endearing" characters! I mean it's like Star Wars except with more awesome monsters! I mean, DRAGONS! COME ON! SO AWESOME!

I hate you.

-With much love-

Dec 12 - 05:33 PM

IHATEBANANAKID

Ihatebananakid Ihatebananakid

[b]<3[/b]
Dear Bananakid,

I hate you.

-With much love-

Dec 12 - 05:33 PM

mojodaddy

joe fish

The Eragon books were awesome, and while I at first thought this movie would suck, the trailers changed my mind. And why didn't RT at least say whether or not it was good?

Dec 12 - 06:00 PM

sir_mcchris_the_pirate

Chris McCall

I love how the guy who just bashed banana kid , his name is i hate banana kid....thats great

Dec 12 - 06:31 PM

IHATEBANANAKID

Ihatebananakid Ihatebananakid

The dragon looks like a giant turkey.

Dec 12 - 07:25 PM

sir_mcchris_the_pirate

Chris McCall

lol it does doesnt it

Dec 12 - 09:14 PM

IHATEBANANAKID

Ihatebananakid Ihatebananakid

The dragon looks like a giant turkey.

Dec 12 - 07:25 PM

sir_mcchris_the_pirate

Chris McCall

lol it does doesnt it

Dec 12 - 09:14 PM

Fangmeier69

Jonathan Greene

No reviews yet - it opens in three days. I smell a stinker.

Dec 12 - 07:28 PM

mojodaddy

joe fish

poor banana kid. :(

Dec 12 - 07:30 PM

whyamithewerewolf

Devon Haggitt

yeah, I want it to be good but all the signs say otherwise. Am I the only one who thought the trailer was awful? Melodramatic? LOTR-ish? Well, hopefully the movie is better than that, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dec 12 - 07:39 PM

bookworm1994

Dillon James

[b]OK.........[/b]
Retarded? Stupid? Hatred towards Bananakid? What's wrong with you people? This film will be very good, I want IHATEBANANAKID to stop bashing Bananakid, or I'll report him. Can't we just review

Dec 12 - 08:23 PM

sir_mcchris_the_pirate

Chris McCall

lol it does doesnt it

Dec 12 - 09:14 PM

renny2077

Renny Abraham

I have my doubts about this movie. The trailer failed to impress and it didn't seem to have the finishing coat as in LOTR. Guess I'd see it cos its got Jeremy Irons in it. That should add some value.

Dec 12 - 09:48 PM

steeminwbeamen

Jeff Dunavant

but Bloodrayne had Ben Kingsley...is Jeremy Irons enough?

Dec 12 - 11:59 PM

steeminwbeamen

Jeff Dunavant

but Bloodrayne had Ben Kingsley...is Jeremy Irons enough?

Dec 12 - 11:59 PM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

The book sucked. I burned my copy. The movie is going to suck too. There just isn't anything in the source material that could possibly make a good movie.
Bananakid, I love you dearly, but you really need to read some better books. I've seen more "charm" and "personality" in a heap of rat turds.

Dec 13 - 12:22 AM

Joe Utichi

Joe Utichi

I was not a book fan, it must be said. The premiere was good though. I will leave you to decide if I'm referring to the movie or the event.

Dec 13 - 03:12 AM

fizzypulp

Katie Teasdale

Well i really enjoyed both the first and second book. i dont think the trailer has shown us enough for us to decide whether it will stink or not. Its got the potential to go either way. Im really looking forwrad to seeing this as i love my fantasy stories.

Dec 13 - 07:09 AM

synergyred

Nancy Elizabeth

Eragon will be pretty good, as the book that it was based off of was fun (completely unorginal and cliche but still, very fun). THe real trial will be with Eldest, which was much less fun and quite mind numbingly bad.

Dec 13 - 08:20 AM

Zen Bullet

J D

The books are hugely derivitive(Star Wars, LOTR, Dragonriders . . . all get liberally cribbed). The writing is on the margin between amaturish and professional. There are far more deserving written works that can be translated to celluloid.

All in all, however, the film looks harmless. I doubt I'll hate it.

Dec 13 - 08:40 AM

Praz

Rajit Sarkar

Unfortunately, any movie that's ever been made with dragons in it has stunk.
I don't think I'll be watching this movie.

Dec 13 - 03:23 PM

FuzzyWhisper

anonymous anonymous

The dragon designs absololutely do not work for me, so that'll seriously impact my enjoyment of the film. The trailers make it appear derivative, and the first two installments of the Inheritance trilogy [i]are[/i] significantly derivative. I've always found the series to be a hollow collection of genre cliches, personally. If this Eragon of the silver screen is a success, I hope the strangled death rattle of young fantasy enthusiasts' sense of discriminating taste isn't entirely drowned out by the fanatic clamor as they rush to lick Mr. Paolini's already drenched boots.

Dec 13 - 08:20 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus