J.J. Abrams Wants Newbies to See His "Star Trek" Movie

Summary

In the world of fandom, you simply won't find many groups as old-school passionate as the "Star Trek" enthusiasts. So whenever a new movie or TV series is announced, skepticism is mixed with excitement, and the message boards begin swelling with banter. But the latest "Trek" helmer (J.J. Abrams) seems to be happy to cater to the newcomer crowd. Back to Article

Comments

the-russian

Nick Danczyk

OMG! He may- *gasp*- make the franchise FRESH again!

Jan 11 - 05:39 AM

clamman27

Rob Clark

I doubt it. Seriously. This is the hack that brought us Alias and Lost.

JJ Abrams + Star Trek.... I'll pass.

If it were Joss Whedon, maybe...

Abrams... forget about it. Over produced, over hyped trash. The most clever thing the man has done was somehow convince people he had talent.

Jan 11 - 06:20 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

And once again the irrational "I don't like something, therefore the person who made it has no talent" argument rears its ugly head. I never watched Alias or Lost, but millions did, so the guy must be doing something right. And MI:3 was the best of the series. I'll give him a chance, especially as he can't do any worse than what's already been done to ST over the years.

Jan 11 - 07:15 AM

Vitamin M

Matthew Haynes

[b]hey clamman[/b]
JJ Abrams + Star Trek = only good star trek ever
Lost and Alias are two of the best television shows made. I'm guessing you never watched them and are just hating because they were popular. I understand completely, I still haven't seen Titanic, but either give them a chance and see what you are missing or leave your worthless opinion at home.
Joss Whedon is also very cool though so I guess you were half right...

Jan 11 - 07:45 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

JJ Abrams + Star Trek = only good Star Trek is illogical drivel even if you did like Lost, Alias, and MI:3 (I honestly never followed either enough to form a real opinion).

Simple put if your arguement begins with the assumption that Star Trek sucks, then who gives a damn who directs it? Because it will either continue to suck or not be Star Trek which would just be stupid.

Personally, I never watched much Alias or Lost, and never saw MI:3 not because they where nessacarilly bad, but because I'm just not into that type of thing. Which is exactly why YOU should not watch Star Trek since you clearly don't like it, and is exactly why don't see why everyone is so fricken' Ga Ga that JJ Abrams is developing Star Trek XI since nothing he's done in the past indicates that he's cut out for the job.

I'm deffinately nervous about this reinvention hinting, because that's a horrible idea. Trying to make a more accessable reimagining of Star Trek is exactly what sunk Enterprise. If you reinvent Star Trek, the Star Trek fans hate you, and the non-Star Trek fans still won't see it, simple as that. Mr. Abrams could have somewhat misreprented in the article above, but he seems to be saying, "Star Trek sucks, and is impossible to sell in this day and age." Well Ok, so don't. If you have that little reverance for the source material just leave it be. Leave those of us who happen to like Star Trek to our Spike TV re-runs, and let Star-Trek be otherwise dead if that's it's fate. Don't make things worse by morphing it into some worthless crap that will further injure the already disillusioned Trek fandom and interest noone who isn't a Trek fan to begin with.

So... seriously, I'm not being an jerk here: Someone PLEASE explain to me why JJ Abrams is good for Star Trek, and how what he is doing is not just repeating the same mistakes that ruined Berman and Braga. I really want to hear a serious opinion on this. And by serious I mean something other than, "Star Trek sucks, Lost and Alias are awesome!"

Jan 11 - 10:12 AM

the-russian

Nick Danczyk

ummm... Alias kicked @$$ back in its heyday (seasons 1-3), and I've never seen Lost, but at the same time I haven't heard a single bad thing about it, from any of the numerous family/friends that watch it. And MI3 was rated at 71% (though I do agree w/ the guy who said it felt more like an episode of Alias). Yeah, I'm pretty sure that warrants him the benefit of the doubt, at least.

Jan 11 - 09:17 PM

mystwoman

Heather Howe

[b]jj is the mark of death[/b]
I'd love to see a peter jackson Star Trek.

That would be dark.

Jan 13 - 07:48 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Jan 11 - 07:15 AM

Vitamin M

Matthew Haynes

[b]hey clamman[/b]
JJ Abrams + Star Trek = only good star trek ever
Joss Whedon is also very cool though so I guess you were half right...

Jan 11 - 07:45 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

Jan 11 - 10:12 AM

Muddler

Muddler Critic

Joss would be good for a series reboot. I think that's what Joss does best...the series work.

I've thought for years that what Star Trek needed was someone to de-geekify the series a bit. Hey, I'm a geek, but just how many times can you have an episode spend ten minutes on technical talk about routing the shields through the warp engines...

There is a reason that the old, old Star Trek is still popular, and it isn't the cutting edge special effects. It's the chemistry of the people. Joss is good at chemistry.

Peter Jackson could do a new Star Trek movie well...I'd just be 4 hours long.

Jan 11 - 10:10 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

Jan 11 - 10:12 AM

Thre31189

Matt Baer

i dont know im giving him a little faith here... i meen he did give us an enjoyable mission impossible where the crazy mr cruise seemed a little less crazy and put suspence with music and what not back into a movie.. wait till a cast...wait til the story...wait till the trailer at least to place an opinion if it will be good or not.

Jan 11 - 12:41 PM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

Dude, MI:3 was just a rehash of Alias, 100%. If Abrams is doing Star Trek, this is going to be Alias Trek. Fifty bucks there'll be a chse scene in a shuttle.

Personallly, I don't want "Fresh." I want the original, and I want it done right, the way it was before Rodenberry died. *Sniff* Those were the good old days, back when Star Trek felt like movies, not TV Episodes transferred to Movie screens.

I don't want a new Star Trek. I want a good Star Trek.

Jan 11 - 01:42 PM

GreenBastard

Craig Storey

Sound like a good idea to me. I'd rather see a Battlestar Galactica movie though.

Jan 11 - 03:05 PM

UselessRob

Rob McNugget

[b]reboots are the new remakes[/b]
Batman, Bond.. reboots are the new way to make money out of dead series. Just like pointless sequels and remakes.

when will we see some new ideas?

Jan 11 - 04:59 PM

the-russian

Nick Danczyk

Jan 11 - 09:17 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

So this basically squashes the young Spock and Kirk theory, how can it possibly be new and fresh and have nothing similar but the title yet be about Kirk & Spock. Just make the movie and stop talking about, either Abrams is insane for flip flopping all the time or RT needs to stop posting every useless Trek rumor.

Jan 11 - 11:21 PM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

I believe that answer to that is "Yes"

Jan 12 - 08:10 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

I believe that answer to that is "Yes"

Jan 12 - 08:10 AM

mystwoman

Heather Howe

[b]jj is the mark of death[/b]
I'd love to see a peter jackson Star Trek.

That would be dark.

Jan 13 - 07:48 AM

arcadefire325

Angela Brannan

[b]jj abrams[/b]
alias sucked big time. it got tired after while because it was the same stuff repeating itself. lost is soooo irritating. i got annoyed and just stop watching. they need to tell us answers or people will leave. i hated the mission impossible series. they are stupid and tom cruise is annoying. (popular does not always mean good, by the way) i liked the first star trek movies. the idea of a revamp makes me cringe.

Jan 13 - 04:42 PM

High School With Money

LEEEROOOOOAAAAHHHH MMMYYAAAANKEEEUUUNNNNSSSS

[b]Fascinating...[/b]
Just think of this new flick as a mirror universe version of Trek. Hopefully one that deals with hi-sci-fi themes than with plasma conduits.

Jan 25 - 10:06 AM

Brian S.

Brian Smith

The only movie of J.J. Abrams I've ever enjoyed was "Forever Young". All of his entire other work was trash IMO. I don't expect this Star Trek to be any better. Rather than come up with a plot element that is fresh and exciting, within the bounds of the original timeline and theme, he goes entirely the other direction changing everything on a whim to bring in 'unfamiliar with the franchise'. This forces me to conclude the Star Trek movie isn't Star Trek - it's more like Star Trek 90210. I would not be surprised if he changed his mind and said for the new age and reboot of the series, we need to have Kirk be a female - like they did with BattleStar Galactica and Starbuck. I'm sure it will have lots of action and in your face CGI with a lot of down to earth gripping touchy-feely crap to pull in the desired demographic.

Dec 14 - 01:35 AM

Brian S.

Brian Smith

Dec 14 - 01:35 AM

coldfire321

Jesse Martinsen

Is this the OC or Star Trek?

More and more i feel good television, movies and genre's are being ruined by this kind of bull****. ooh the characters are young and inexperienced, sign me up! Its too glamerous, too young, too loud, too NOT STAR TREK. JJ abrams can go eat a brick, this movie is going to suck , and so does the fringe.

MORE ACTION AND CGI AWESOMENESS

because that is what makes a film good..

Star trek is about inovation, exploration of the unknown, space, science fiction and our future morals! Not all this other crap.

Abrams is ruining Star Trek. The only thing we can hope for is the future, maybe they'll hire someone talented to run the show.

Apr 21 - 02:02 PM

coldfire321

Jesse Martinsen

Is this the OC or Star Trek?

MORE ACTION AND CGI AWESOMENESS

because that is what makes a film good..

Apr 21 - 02:02 PM

Juan Cutlip

Juan Cutlip

Hello sir, I am from the future. You're wrong.

May 15 - 08:18 PM

Juan Cutlip

Juan Cutlip

Hello sir, I am from the future. You're wrong.

May 15 - 08:18 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer