Next "Trek" to Be a Prequel?

Well here's some interesting news, doubly so if you're a serious and well-versed Trekkie-type. Not only will J.J. Abrams be going back to visit the early days of Kirk, Spock, and Scotty ... but he'll also be including a fairly obscure character known as ... Pike.

Now, Captain Pike was the guy Kirk learned the job from, and the serious "Star Trek" aficionadoes are well aware that Captain Pike appeared in the original "Trek" pilot, before William Shanter took over and made Captain Kirk an interstellar superstar.

Anyway, according to IGN Movies (who got the news from IESB.net and then expounded quite helpfully) it looks like Abrams is going to do precisely what I just said: Dig back into the "Trek" files and treat us to some of the earliest exploits of the Enterprise gang. Just like in "Hannibal Rising" or "Dumb & Dumber 2."

Oh, and none of this is even remotely set in stone, either. Abrams' screenwriters, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, are still fine-tuning all sorts of stuff. But heck, it's a fun series to talk about. Cuz we all know it.

(A lot) more info on "Star Trek XI" as it becomes available.

Comments

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

Well, if this really is a prequal (and possibly a reboot), they won't be calling it "Star Trek XI". Any guesses on the title?

Jan 17 - 06:11 AM

High School With Money

LEEEROOOOOAAAAHHHH MMMYYAAAANKEEEUUUNNNNSSSS

[b]The human adventure is just re-beginning...[/b]
The answer's pretty obvious - [i]Star Trek: Genesis[/i]. Plus, I like that term "reboot" when applied to these sorts of flicks. It's like a subgenre of its own.

Paramount had better heavily consider not having this thing cost more than [i]Serenity[/i] did, because that's the size of an audience they should expect to see a new [i]Trek[/i] film, no matter how much time elapsed from the last release.

Jan 19 - 09:12 AM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

"hannibal Rising" and "Dumber and Dumber 2"?? Give JJ Abrams a bit more credit then to assume his Trek prequel will be in the same category as those two terrible films. As someone who hated Mission Impossible 2, I was surpries Abrams was able to save the series in part 3

Jan 17 - 08:08 AM

Fangmeier69

Jonathan Greene

Save the series?
MI3 was the lowest grossing of the series; didn't even make the Top Ten hits of the year list.
People can point all they want to Abrams TV success with Alias, Felicity, Lost - I point instead to his Movie work - Regarding Henry, Forever Young, Joyride; all clunkers.
Going back to basics with a prequel and new cast makes sense. Only thing is, will we see those cheesy tunics and pants from the 60's series? How will they get around it?

Jan 17 - 09:09 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

I never saw the first two movies you mention, but I actually kind of liked Joy Ride.

Jan 17 - 09:31 AM

Praz

Rajit Sarkar

MI:3 tanked because the star is a loon, not because it was worse than the other movies in the series.

Jan 17 - 11:29 AM

loof

Ryan Taylor

MI3 may have been good but when it came out everyone was sick of Tom Cruise, he killed MI3 not Abrams. Regarding Henry was a very good movie, I didn't realize it was Abrams who did it though. I've never heard of the other two movies though.

I stopped watching Star Trek movies after First Contact and haven't regretted it yet. ST:TNG was never really movie material to begin with it always seemed too slow and thoughtful to keep people interested. If this is well done then it just might bring me back.

Jan 18 - 08:34 AM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

Yeah, you pretty much have to look at the ST:TNG movies as extended episodes.

Jan 18 - 09:59 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

Jan 17 - 09:31 AM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

[b]I thought MI:III was decent.[/b]
I thought that movie was good. I liked it better than the 2nd.

But this is a good story if its set in stone. I've only seen a few episodes dealing with a young Spock and Pike. This can delve into the deep trust that Spock and Pike have for one another.

Jan 17 - 10:14 AM

supermanofsteel

Fgear hrsert

As far as I know Pike and Spock never had a deep trust for each other.

I think you're talking about Kirk and Spock. Pike only appeared in one episode.

Jan 17 - 06:09 PM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

Yea, thats the episode I'm talking about, where Spock takes the vegetated Pike to the planet where he met the woman how many years ago it was. Even though Spock was dealing through logic on how to help Pike's problem, with not able to function for the rest of his life, I would say that could be a deep trust or a good understanding of one another. Well thats what I got out of that episode anyway.

Jan 17 - 07:17 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

Pike was actually in two episodes, the pilot and then one where he was all deformed and in a wheel chair.

Jan 17 - 09:29 PM

Praz

Rajit Sarkar

Jan 17 - 11:29 AM

Ciaranmv

Ciaran Vejby

It could be called... "Star Trek Begins" or "Star Trek Royale"... j/k. It seems to be a new trend of resurrecting well-established cultural iconic heroes like Bond, Batman, Indiana Jones, Rocky. I liked Bond and Batman, hopefully Abrams will reinvigorate the Star Trek frachise. The last two films ("Insurrection" and "Nemesis"), while they had good premises, severely lacked in convincing villain persona and action.

Jan 17 - 03:48 PM

supermanofsteel

Fgear hrsert

As far as I know Pike and Spock never had a deep trust for each other.

I think you're talking about Kirk and Spock. Pike only appeared in one episode.

Jan 17 - 06:09 PM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

Jan 17 - 07:17 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

Jan 17 - 09:29 PM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

Jan 17 - 07:17 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

I'm really getting tired of these Trek news postings....REALLY TIRED! When the movie is in production maybe I'll listen to these senseless ramblings but until then they are just becoming quite annoying, and continously contradictory.

Jan 17 - 09:27 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

Jan 17 - 09:29 PM

loof

Ryan Taylor

Jan 18 - 08:34 AM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

Yeah, you pretty much have to look at the ST:TNG movies as extended episodes.

Jan 18 - 09:59 AM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

Yeah, you pretty much have to look at the ST:TNG movies as extended episodes.

Jan 18 - 09:59 AM

High School With Money

LEEEROOOOOAAAAHHHH MMMYYAAAANKEEEUUUNNNNSSSS

[b]The human adventure is just re-beginning...[/b]

Jan 19 - 09:12 AM

Film Cricket

David Zgurski

[b]Hearing about this makes me appreciate the origina[/b]
Abrams is going to be the final nail in the coffin for Trek.

The best thing Trek had going for it in the beginning was the input of visionary science fiction writers and Gene Roddenberry's simple premise of "Wagon Train in space." The original strengths of the series have been gradually eroded over time by the inept management of guys like Harve Bennett (who started great with The Wrath of Khan but ended horribly with The Final Frontier), and Rick Berman and Brannon Braga, whose legacy is no new Trek episodes being produced after an incredible 20 year run that could still be going if they knew their audience.

Shatner WAS Kirk. It's his acting and enunciation that have defined and embodied the character over the years. It's not like Young Indy where Spielberg, George Lucas and Harrison Ford were there to lend their blessings to River Phoenix and Sean Patrick Flanery. Virtually all of the original visionaries that made Trek a huge phenomenon will be speechless either because they're dead or they're not a part of the franchise anymore. Whatever Abrams does, like Enterprise it will NOT be Trek. It will just be another sci-fi franchise marketed to the shallow multiplex teenybopper crowd: a weepy teenage drama in space.

Trek started out as science fiction, and gradually turned into pointless soap opera drivel: just watch the progression from Trek to the early movies, TNG, DS9 (most of the series could have been the same if it had been on contemporary Earth without the spacy stuff), Voyager (the worst offender of weepy Donahue touchy-feely BS) and finally Enterprise (topped off with a unlistenable Diane Warren sappy ballad.)

Thank God they're remastering and improving the original Trek. Looking back, it's still the only series that mattered, and will still be the only Trek that matters after Abrams is finally done killing the franchise for good.

I almost didn't go to Nemesis (finally going to a cheap matinee), and to this day I can't watch it again, not out of idealistic protest, but because as a movie it's inferior. Inferior Trek product will continue to be Berman's legacy, and it will be Abrams' as well.

Jan 19 - 04:49 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office