RT-UK Exclusive: Early Golden Compass Footage Revealed
The (very early) first footage we saw included:
- Opening scenes from the movie showing Lyra stepping across the chairs in the Jordan dining hall, talking to her Daemon (who wasn?t rendered yet). Beautiful cinematography, sun pouring through the windows. Not a fantasy feel at all, quite earthy and real. Dakota Blue Richards plays Lyra ? she looks adorable, but rather acts like a sullen tomboy. She is a perfect Lyra.
- Various unfinished CG shots of the alternate universe London, full of huge glass and iron buildings in a Christopher Wren template, stunning design. The airship and Magistrate buildings, huge art-deco monolith in the centre of London.
- First scenes with Nicole Kidman as Mrs. Coulter. The producer told us that when they first started talking about a Golden Compass movie (nearly ten years back) she had lunch with Philip Pullman and the first thing they agreed on was casting Kidman as Mrs. Coulter. She is perfect for the role; icy, glamorous, and manipulative. The scene has Lyra at the dinner table; Coulter slinks in behind her, sits down, and charms the pants off her. Well not literally, as that would be wrong.
- Daniel Craig as Lord Asriel. Says Justin Keeling for RT-UK, "I wasn?t 100% sold on Craig as Asriel for much the same reasons as I didn?t fancy him as Bond, but he proved me wrong on that. Still not convinced by his casting, but we?ll see. The beard helps." In this scene Lyra and Asriel are walking in a Jordan college garden and she asks for the first time about Dust. Craig reacts angrily and says her to mind her own affairs.
- An extended scene with Iorek on a loose in a city, running through markets knocking bystanders for six. Lyra is chasing him, along with squad of armed soldiers. Iorek holes up in a small building, which is surrounded by soldiers. They take out their guns and aim, shouting in some unrecognisable language for him to come out. He bursts out of the wall and roars. Lyra runs between the bear and the soldiers guns pleading for them to stop, reasoning with Iorek to come with her instead. A soldier raises his rifle to fire at the bear, but a gun comes into frame pointing at his head, and with it Lee Scoresby. Phenomenal casting, he is perfect. It?s a standoff, and the scene ends. Surprisingly good performance from Lyra here.
- CG effects shot of the camera passing by Lyra, turning a 180 and zooming out to show her on the crow?s nest of a ship heading north. The effects producer says a CG version of her daemon in hawk will be added circling her.
- Amazing shot of a real Lyra riding a CG Iorek the bear through the Arctic wilderness at night. The camera pans around them and the background transforms from starlit darkness into a beautiful full moon.
Stay tuned for more details and an extended report from the set of The Golden Compass coming in the near future.