North Carolina Wants Script Approval Before You Can Shoot There? Thanks, Dakota...

The Dakota Fanning film "Hounddog" is still causing lots of controversy ... even after it debuted to a mediocre response up at Sundance. Seems the fine state of North Carolina is oh so concerned about the kind of subject matter that's being lensed in their backyards -- and they're taking steps to "approve" screenplays before filmmakers will be offered admittance.

The (alleged) new law would apply only to productions that take advantage of North Carolina's "filmmaker incentive" program, which basically means that if a production wants to earn up to 15% of their budget back, thanks to tax credits, they must have their screenplay pre-approved before the shoot begins.

Or productions could just go to one of NC's bordering states and not deal with all the hassle. Word from The Wilmington Star indicates that this action is by no means a done deal, but it sure seems like the North Carolina politicians are trying to make a pointless little statement. One like "Oh dear, you made a movie in our state, and that movie deals with a young girl who is sexually molested. Therefore we must step forward and act all offended, just so you know we don't approve of child abuse -- even the fictional kind."

That's just the way I see it, anyway. (Click here for the full story.) And I'm sure this extended bout of extra controversy doesn't bother the "Hounddog" filmmakers all that much....

Comments

Bane Of Anubis

C M

[b]Hmmm, could have guessed the author w/o the name[/b]
Or maybe since they're partially footing the bill to allow certain movies to be made they should be allowed to cover their ass or have some say in how their state is reflected.

Perhaps these stories should be reported in a less op-ed fashion.

Jan 29 - 01:06 PM

jukeboxhero6660

Daren Fowler

well he is reporting and reporting of late hasnt been very balanced in any field so why should he? and its his opinion he gave the link so you can make up your own mind and not just follow, so who cares how he says it, if you dont like it go to a different site.

Jan 29 - 05:37 PM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

Well that makes it alright then, doesn't it? Everyone else is doing it... Gotta love that idealogy. Heaven forbid that someone not like the way something is said and comment on it... oh wait, that's what you did...

Jan 29 - 08:44 PM

rockstarfrank

David Frank

Hey brother, it's called a comment section where the intent is to write your opinion...
and while I am fan of Rotten Tomatoes I would like to state that this article was slanted and I disagreed with the author. You want to censor someone who disagrees with your opinion?

Jan 30 - 10:19 AM

HurinThalion

ryan bry

Hey, if the tax-payers don't agree with the film script why should they pay for it?

Jan 29 - 01:30 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

I think the point is, it's troubling from an artist's point of view -- consider if this is the pebble that leads to a much larger ripple effect on artistic freedom for filmmakers without big budgets/who don't want to compromise.

Just playing devil's advocate here. Thoughts?

Jan 29 - 01:56 PM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

If they don't want to compromise, then they need to foot the bill. Or explain their reasoning convincingly. Or realize that perhaps their art isn't appreciated by most people (a bit of DA on my part here ;) )

Jan 29 - 03:20 PM

Vitamin M

Matthew Haynes

Yes it's troubling from the point of view of the artists who now have to jump through hoops to get their films made because some dumbass filmed a rape scene invovling a child. Instead of talking about this movie we could always just lobby for harsher sentences for sex offenders! That seems more useful...

Jan 30 - 07:25 AM

highdough

Richard Blascock

Actually, what's troubling is that simply having a child rape scene in a movie is, for some reason, taboo, yet no one bats an eye when someone makes a movie where dozens of people are killed in a gunfight. It's the irony that is the US. During a sports event where people are pummeling each other, and there are ads for movies like Troy, Van Helsing and The Alamo, all of which featured violence, but show a breast (with the nipple covered!!) and the country falls apart.

Jan 30 - 09:43 AM

carrierj1

Joseph Carrier

[b]Rednecks[/b]
Who cares. They're just going to lose money to South Carolina, Virginia, and any other state that looks like North Carolina.

Jan 29 - 02:07 PM

SinnFeinHammer

Dirk Nowitzki

Don't be ignorant. I have family in Charlotte, NC. North Carolina is farrrr from being redneck. You know, home of the 2nd biggest bank in the country...Charlotte alone has the headquarters of 9 fortune 500 companies. Silly rednecks with their booming economy, and 20th biggest city in the US, and home of some of the best schools in UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, ect. Damn rednecks!

Jan 30 - 11:08 AM

carrierj1

Joseph Carrier

[b]They are still rednecks.[/b]
I'm sorry to tell you but even though NC has the 2nd largest bank in America, some of the best schools in the country, etc., the state is still about 75% redneck, including your family.

Jan 30 - 02:50 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

And of course you know this from your vast experience with the many fine citizens of North Carolina. Crawl back under your rock, troll.

Jan 30 - 04:55 PM

SinnFeinHammer

Dirk Nowitzki

Nice fact based argument. Chances are whatever your state is, they don't have near the expanding economy...and i'll take my "redneck" family's 500K a year money. (I'm from Scotland by the way, but i've visited and done business in NC many a time).

Jan 31 - 12:21 AM

carrierj1

Joseph Carrier

[b]Rednecks originated in Scotland[/b]
Have you ever studied the history of the redneck? They originated from Scotland. I believe they came over here because of the beer famine of 1712. I can see how you would have a lot of business in good ol' NC. I'm just messin' with you. Cheer up!

Jan 31 - 03:03 PM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

Jan 29 - 03:20 PM

highdough

Richard Blascock

Wow, until hearing about this new law, I thought that North Carolina actually approved of child rape. Especially since the movie apparently glorifies it and basically tells the viewer that's it's cool to rape little girls. On another note, I just watched Silence of the Lambs and now I want kill people and eat them. Where was that filmed, because it seems to glorify cannabilism.

Jan 29 - 03:24 PM

boxman

Nate Zoebl

Nothing more needs to be said after that fine bit of sarcasm.

Jan 29 - 04:57 PM

3263827

Scott Berkey

Ditto to that, but sometimes even when you don't need to say something you can't resist. And as such I can't resist noting that I moved to Vermont after seeing Chevy Chase's Funny Farm. And let me say that I feel completely ripped off. Vermont's not at all like it was in the movie. Do I get a tax credit?

Jan 29 - 05:39 PM

boxman

Nate Zoebl

Nothing more needs to be said after that fine bit of sarcasm.

Jan 29 - 04:57 PM

Jan 30 - 10:19 AM

3263827

Scott Berkey

Jan 29 - 05:39 PM

mofojoe85

Joseph Zammiello

if north carolina doesn't want a film produced in their state due to content then it's their business. just like it's dakota's business, or at least her parents, over what movie roles she accepts. deal with it.

Jan 29 - 06:39 PM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

Jan 29 - 08:44 PM

Vitamin M

Matthew Haynes

Jan 30 - 07:25 AM

highdough

Richard Blascock

Jan 30 - 09:43 AM

clamman27

Rob Clark

Yeah I guess freedom of expression no longer matters. Censorship anyone???

You don't have to like it. You don't have to even see it.

All of this controversy over a movie. Give me a break. Things like that happen unfortunately in life all too often. So are we as artists supposed to pretend it doesn't and never talk about it, never write about it, never show it in the context of a story because someone somehwere may be offended. Tough! I'm getting so damned sick and tired of people's works being edited and watered down-often without their permission-so it will be "acceptable" for "families" and "family values". Who's family and who's values are we basing that on? "Raging Bull", I'm sorry, is not and should not be a "family film". Leave it alone. Not everything is meant to be for kids or should be seen by kids.

Movies, books, art sould often make you uncomfortable. It should make you think. It should make you mad. It should make you laugh. It should make you cry.

Filmmakers shouldn't have to hide like drug dealers becasue they're making a movie about child prostitution, selling of children, etc. whatever the issue may be.

Jan 30 - 09:33 AM

highdough

Richard Blascock

Jan 30 - 09:43 AM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

The article's not discussing removing the creative license of artists. It's talking about removing the funding. If someone pays money to someone else, they should be able to have a say in what goes on with their money. If you want carte blanche, you need to find someone who'll back you wholly or pay the piper's fee yourself.

Jan 30 - 10:01 AM

rockstarfrank

David Frank

Jan 30 - 10:19 AM

EmmG389

First Last

[b]Censorship in response to clamman.[/b]
Fine. Censorship should not be allowed.
Lets make a movie about gays being hanged and make it a comedy. No even better how about black gays being hanged. Lets see what happens. peace.

Jan 30 - 10:19 AM

bravo10

robi lyle

[b]People, be more careful when reading[/b]
North Carolina doesn't pay anything for films to be made in that state. So, all of you posters who imply that if they want to pay production companies to film in the state, the governement of NC should have script approval are basing your arguments on a fallacy. To attract filmmakers, NC essentially asks for less money from crews than other states in the form of taxes. The NC Legislature, is essentially making a stupid, red-neck statement at the expense of locations in the state that benefit when movies are made. If I were a craft services company in Raleigh, for instance, I'd be mad. Its the people that live in NC that will be hurt. And for what? NC is third in the country when it comes to the number of sexual assault arrests per year based on population, yet that sad fact is ignored. NC is pathetic.

Jan 30 - 10:52 AM

Trailer for Angelina Jolie's latest

<em>The Hunger Games</em>
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

<em>Jimi</em> Trailer
Jimi Trailer

Clips: Andre 3000 plays Hendrix!