Ben Stiller & Tom Cruise: The New Hardy Boys?

Will Tom Cruise resort to comedy in an effort to salvage his semi-damaged image? And if so, is Ben Stiller to be his partner in hilarity?

TMZ.com is reporting that Tom Cruise might star in a movie called "The Hardy Men" with Ben Stiller. It's a comedy about the now-grown-up Hardy Boys who reunite to solve a crime. If the flick moves forward, the director will probably be Shawn Levy, the "Pink Panther" and "Night at the Museum" helmer who also just landed the "Flash" gig.

Levy and Stiller on the set of "Night at the Museum"

In very related news, it seems that Mr. Stiller is currently working on a comedy called "Tropic Thunder," which is a parody of "Mission: Impossible"-style techie adventures -- and the comedian won't give up on trying to get Mr. Cruise to pop up in that flick. Make a little fun of the Ethan Hunt character just a little bit and all that.

Me, I don't see it. I'm thinking if Cruise "goes funny" right now, it'd feel like pretty forced, as in "Look how normal I am!" Plus we all know Tom Cruise can be funny when he wants to be. "Magnolia" and "Collateral" come to mind. Oh, and "Legend" although not for the same reasons.

Cruise and Stiller in their respective solo hero gigs

Plus there was that funny old MTV sketch in which Stiller played stuntman Tom Crooze... Oh, so that's why they're buddies now!

Comments

MC.

mc mc

Cruise has done a lot of good work in the past. He's been brave.

Let him do what he wants to do.

Feb 7 - 05:11 AM

mojodaddy

joe fish

Just the fact that Cruise is going to try and become a comedic actor made me laugh. I definitely wann check out Tropic Thunder. I still love Ben Stiller, even after his dissapointing "museum"...

Feb 7 - 05:53 AM

It.

Anna C

[b]"Tom is a comedy king" Wilder used to say[/b]
Remember when Jerry Maguire came out? Billy Wilder, the One who invent comedy movies like Some like it hot, expressed his view on Tom Cruise just after watching him in JM
He said Tom was the king of 'light comedy'.
Make of that what you want, but as Joel Goodsen or Maguire, or Magnolia! of course, he is a great and talented comedy actor.

In conversation with Cameron Crowe, he said:

" Tom Cruise is a thinking actor. He makes it look effortless. For example, Rain Man. It took several years for everyone to realize that the roles could have been switched. That is a movie I would have liked to have seen -- the crazy guy is the good-looking one. The ease in which he handles the hardest roles ... Tom Cruise, he's like Cary Grant. He makes the hard things look simple. On film, Cary Grant could walk into the room and say "Tennis anyone?" like no one else. You don't value the skill until you see a less skilled actor try to same thing. It's pure gold.

Feb 7 - 09:11 AM

lonechicken

Han Nguyen

I want to see this movie just to see more Ben Stiller impressions of Tom Cruise. The MTV skit, the SNL "Hustler of Money" skit, and the Ben Stiller show stuff just isn't enough!

Feb 7 - 07:26 AM

It.

Anna C

[b]"Tom is a comedy king" Wilder used to say[/b]
He said Tom was the king of 'light comedy'.

In conversation with Cameron Crowe, he said:

Feb 7 - 09:11 AM

Kid_Ikarus

Josh Thornton

I think Tom is hilarious when he wants to be. It would be pretty cool to see him switch up his whole style, but hopefully he stays away from the whole slapstick comedy...

Feb 7 - 09:46 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Cruise is great, and could really pull this off if he want's to. I just hope they get a different director if they actually go ahead with this.

Feb 7 - 10:08 AM

Infernal

Danny Sybrenson

You dolt, Weinberg.

How in the hell has Cruise's image been damaged?

Feb 7 - 01:30 PM

dagreenman18

Brian Lorenzo

allow me to direct you to the church of scientology. and ophra's (sic) couch. and kaitie Holmes.and Good Morning America.. I could go on and on. Tom Cruise in comedy. yeah sure why not?

Feb 7 - 02:31 PM

dagreenman18

Brian Lorenzo

Feb 7 - 02:31 PM

southfrisco

Dan Huck

Sure, anyone who has an image problem should first and foremost do a comedy film. I mean that is a sure fire way to repair any image problem.....

Feb 7 - 04:25 PM

killermonkey8822

Joey Chid

lol ha ha ben stiller is awesome i have to say but tom cruise is a dumass he's not funny

Feb 7 - 06:06 PM

Segkee

Lochhead Seth

LEGEND rocks!

Feb 7 - 06:12 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

Please NO!! Don't blaspheme the series I grew up with as a kid, don't turn the Hardy Boys into a horrible comedy. And Tom Cruise is only funny when he's not trying to be, otherwise he's just annoying.

Feb 7 - 06:52 PM

Gazmataz

Gary Matthews

This could work in a "Dragnet" kind of way, if Ttom was the Joe Friday straight man up to the end when he can get a wee bit wacky. Just [please God] don't let Tom Cruise try to Will Ferrell!!!

Feb 8 - 02:32 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

I like Tom Cruise, and I think as long as he keeps his mouth shut, his image will come back around just from doing good work. I can't stand Ben Stiller, though.

Feb 8 - 06:33 AM

bribios

brian wilson

*rimshot*

Feb 8 - 09:20 AM

It.

Anna C

[b]you're kidding, right???[/b]
" Tropic Thunder might be ok, but I thought they already spoofed the MI series in "Mission Impossible II".

*rimshot*"

Oh no, Stiller did it already and it was so good; don't play the same jokes too many times.

I still don't beleive this story, it's TMZ people; lol

Feb 8 - 02:19 PM

It.

Anna C

[b]My bad[/b]
it's confimed
I just wish they change the director!

Feb 13 - 05:07 PM

It.

Anna C

[b]you're kidding, right???[/b]

*rimshot*"

I still don't beleive this story, it's TMZ people; lol

Feb 8 - 02:19 PM

It.

Anna C

[b]My bad[/b]
it's confimed
I just wish they change the director!

Feb 13 - 05:07 PM

It.

Anna C

[b]My bad[/b]
it's confimed
I just wish they change the director!

Feb 13 - 05:07 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships