Neil Gaiman's "Stardust" Scoring High With Test Audiences

Producers are always happy to get high test scores on movies, but particularly when they expected a much more limited audience. Lorenzo Di Bonaventura has just experienced screenings of "Stardust," based on Neil Gaiman's graphic novel, where every demographic loved it.

"It's a weird thing to say," said Di Bonaventura. "I don't think everybody's going to love the movie because it's not a movie that's designed to be that. And yet, when we went and tested it, they really flipped for it. It just caught me off guard. It was a movie where I expected to have a larger portion of the audience sort of go, 'Well, that's sort of out there. Not sure it's for us.' And what happened was that we delivered I think a romance so spectacularly well, Matthew [Vaughn] did such a good job with it, that it caught a segment of the audience in that I wasn't expecting."

Gaiman's story of a boy venturing to take a star to impress the woman he loves, pursued by various characters along the way, has all sorts of magical fantasy elements. But the one thing all audiences agreed on was that it is not a fairy tale.

"It's interesting. We learned this from the focus groups. When we asked them to describe the movie to us and then they would give us a description and then we would say, 'What do you think if we'd describe it as a fairy tale?' They'd go, 'NOOO!' like that. Like whoa, okay, all right, we're not going to call it that. It was really sort of an interesting thing. Because it's not a movie that fits into any simple genre, it is an adventure movie, it is a romance, it is fantasy, it is Neil Gaiman's bizarre world view, there's going to be some struggle for us to find a way to voice this thing so we're really going to need you guys to help us. It's true. We're going to be a very, I think, print driven movie."

Comments

privatepilesleftnipple

bobo boboki

I think they need to re-evaluate the entire situation

Mar 6 - 03:04 AM

bribios

brian wilson

I think you need to re-evaluate my penis.

Mar 6 - 09:55 AM

zzzz

m z

Touche.

This movie's looking good.

May 29 - 11:25 PM

lrm8

john smith

i agree with bribios. seriously, who patrols RT all day just to be the first one to post some stupid saying? you are a sad sad person...

anyways, gaiman is a genius and it doesnt surprise me that a hack like bonaventura (doom, derailed, constantine) needs a focus group to help him understand a movie that he produced.

Mar 6 - 11:04 AM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

I think what he's saying is that it's going to be a tough movie to market, because there are so many elements to it that it can be hard to get across in a 30-second commercial. I say make two campaigns, one that focuses on the romance aspect and the other that focuses on the fantasy elements.

But that's just me.

Mar 6 - 02:54 PM

ProducerPaul

Paul Barrett

But that's just me.

Mar 6 - 02:54 PM

yodas gooch

Hugh Jass

I think privatepilesleftnipple needs to re-evaluate his/her so called sense of humour

Mar 6 - 03:50 PM

zzzz

m z

Touche.

This movie's looking good.

May 29 - 11:25 PM

tabascoman77

Matt Perri

The movie's looking good? It looks like Jane Austen meets Eragon on crack.

You know this movie's bad when the trailer induces groans. I half-expected Bobby DeNiro to be saying, "Hey! I'm a pirate! Are you talkin' to me?"

Talk about woefully miscast...

Jul 26 - 09:35 PM

Box Office
Box Office

Planet Of The Apes Is No. 1

<em>Unbroken</em>
Unbroken

Trailer for Angelina Jolie's latest

<em>The Hunger Games</em>
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

<em>Jimi</em> Trailer
Jimi Trailer

Clips: Andre 3000 plays Hendrix!