Wahlberg Mulls "Departed" Sequel Plot; Volunteers for Directing Duty

Mark Wahlberg finished "The Departed" in a pretty good position. Not only did he get an Oscar nomination for his acting, but (SPOILER ALERT) his character is the only one left alive. Now they're talking sequel, and the actor is in a power position.

"I said the same thing to them that I said to everyone else," said Wahlberg. "If they can make it better than the first one, then sure. I spoke to Bill Monahan and Marty (Scorsese) about it and Bill has a really interesting take. I thought that it was really funny that I would be investigating the murder that I committed. That could go anywhere. Like with "The Italian Job," for instance, we were going to try and make a sequel, but never really got the script where we were all really comfortable with it. So it really depends on the material and the time period. It would be another fun character to play."

The idea of taking a supporting character and building a sequel around him does not faze Wahlberg. "I mean, look, you're working with Marty Scorsese and Bill Monahan again. If the script is really strong ... they'll bring in someone like De Niro to play a corrupt cop or congressman or senator. No, I don't have any problem with that."

On the other hand, if Scorsese decides he's not into sequels, Wahlberg may reconsider. "Like a first time video director? F***, let me direct it."

So take note "Departed" producers, you'd better keep the team together. "Look, I think that would be the smart road to go. Me and Marty are doing a TV show as well on HBO and so I think that we can get Marty back."

Comments

Lizard Brain

Greg Bonnette

[b]Kudos...[/b]
At least Wahlberg wants to do a movie better than "The Departed." Because, aside from the feelings of fanboys and people who felt they needed to award Scorcese, "The Departed" is an okay, but not spectacular film...and it didn't deserve best movie or director awards. As a ranking, it was about a 7 out of 10.

Mar 7 - 03:50 AM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Amen!

Mar 7 - 11:34 AM

mojodaddy

joe fish

To quote Jack Black from the oscars....

"Mark Wahlbergs pretty badass"

Mar 7 - 05:42 AM

jeremyd4

jeremy d

Amazing how the general consensus (especially around RT) was that "The Departed" was an amazing film when released, fully deserving of an Oscar, and now it's actually won, well, everyone seems to keep crapping on it????

Mar 7 - 06:07 AM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Really? I've been saying it since opening night.

Mar 7 - 11:34 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

Yeah, I noticed that, too.

Mar 7 - 07:09 AM

stevegilpin

Steven Gilpin

[b]Great film, but no sequel, please![/b]
I really thought The Departed was an excellent, rousing piece of entertainment. One of Scorsese's best, actually. However, I think the idea of a sequel (or two) would deflate the impact of the first film, which really stands alone quite well, regardless of any criticisms people may have. Work on something new, Marty! I love ya all the same!

Mar 7 - 07:47 AM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Amen!

Mar 7 - 11:34 AM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Really? I've been saying it since opening night.

Mar 7 - 11:34 AM

highdough

Richard Blascock

It seems to be a national pasttime to tear down anything or anyone that is on top. Something gets too big and people will be waiting in the wings to `crap on it'. I'm not a Scorsese fanboy, but I ranked The Departed as my favourite movie of last year, whether or not it won anything. I still do. Was it easily the best movie i saw last year? No, but that doesn't mean I don't think it deserved to win. You know what? I also liked Crash, Shakespeare in Love, Forest Gump and Dances with Wolves, I just don't think they deserved to win over Brokeback Mountain, Saving Private Ryan, Pulp Fiction (or Shawshank Redemption) or Goodfellas. but it doesn't lessen my enjoyment of any of those films. My enjoyment of a film generally does not hinge on anything outside of the film itself.

I do find many of the detractors of The Departed don't make sense. Some of the more inane:
- The Departed completely ripped off Infernal Affairs (which is what adaptations do)
- Infernal Afairs is a much better film (I don't believe Infernal Affairs was eligible for this year's Academy Awards)
- Too much swearing (I'm not even touching that one)
- It wasn't even close to Scorsese's best (AI cn't gain, none of Scorsese's other films were eligible, plus, I thought it was better than The Aviator, Bringing Out The Dead, Casino, Cape Fear, Age of Innocence, Last Temptation of Christ, Kundun, The Color of Money, After Hours, The King of Comedy, New York, New York, Gangs of New York and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. And some of those were pretty damn good)
- I hate Leonadro Dicaprio (Johnny Depp annoys the hell out of me but he's been in some of my favourite movies)

I don't have a problem with someone not liking the film. It's not for everyone, just like any other film, but a big issue seems to be with huge fans of Infernal Affairs who were almost offended it was remade. They will NEVER be able to look at the film objectively, so you can never take what they say seriously.

Mar 7 - 12:12 PM

Kudos Mooney

Jeremy Mullins

while i agree with most of what you are saying, i too am a detractor of Scorcese's win this year. i personally think that it's about damn time, but he deserved it for better movies. it just pisses me off that even though this film is a great film, it's nowhere near his best, and he deserved it a long, long time ago. on the contrary, i do love Gangs of New York and the Aviator, and i believe they deserved it, only because everything else on the best picture list of that year were shit (all right...million dollar baby was great...nevermind...sorry Aviator). yet while the Departed was a wonderful movie of Scorcese getting back to his roots, it wasn't even close to being on par with films like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, and, dare I say it, The King of Comedy. I'm sure many of you disagree with that last one, but seeing Robert De Niro pull off that character...it was genius. It's just sad that while Departed was a fantastic film for all the right reasons, it took this long to get it, and Scorcese's better films had to be passed.

Mar 7 - 01:58 PM

Boss Fan

Ron Schuckert

Those sentiments are almost word for word what I have been saying about Scorsese and "The Departed" since the Oscar talk began. It's not about ripping on something just because its on top or inventing a reason for a backlash or sour grapes because the movie I wanted didn't win (that would be what people did with "Crash."), there is a such thing as awarding an inferior work (even if it is a very good one), just because its time to honor its creator. It happens all the time at the Oscars and every other Awards show. "The Departed" was not the year's best film. It was good, but typical crime flick. Scorsese was not the year's best director. He could direct a movie like that in his sleep by now, and this one didn't have half the inovative original style of many of his past works. Can anyone really think "The Departed" was better directed or a better movie than "United 93" or "Letters From Iwo Jima"?! Am I glad Scorsese finally won? Damn Right. But I don't think he deserved it for this film, and the movie, even if I would agree to throwing Scorsese a bone, definitly didn't deserve it.

Mar 7 - 05:29 PM

highdough

Richard Blascock

YOU say The Departed was not the best film of last year, which is your opinion. Many other people, including myself, do think it was the year's best film. Was there a consensus? Absolutely not . You just need to check out this to see that:
I liked all the films nominated for Best Picture this year, and would have had no problem with any of them winning. I, personally, though Children of Men could also have been nominated.

My top five movies from last year, in order, were, The Departed, Letters from Iwo Jima, Children of Men, Borat and An inconvenient Truth. Sixth was Casino Royale. United 93 and Babel were in the top ten and The Queen was 12th.

You're arguing as if its not objective. It is and people always seem to forget that. The Top Ten critics list is proof of that. The summary of the lists is more telling. Of all the movies eligible for Best Picture and 70 Top Ten lists, no film appeared number one more than 7 times (United 93). Only four films appeared on at least four top ten lists (Children of Men, The Departed, Pan's Labrynth and Letters from Iwo Jima). Some people agree with you that United 93 and Letters from Iwo Jima were better than The Departed. Others don't. I don't.

Mar 7 - 10:16 PM

Kudos Mooney

Jeremy Mullins

I'm glad to see that someone agrees with me, for i have been receiving the shitty end of the fuck-stick for a while on that subject. like i said, the Departed was a great film, but didn't deserve the win. United 93 definitely did. I have seen that film 11 times, and every single time i have walked out of the theatre or sat on my couch and just felt uniformly drained and moved beyond words. that, to me, is what films are all about. not necessarily draining you, but achieving the goal it set out to do. and United 93 has to be, in my opinion, not only an amazing film in and of itself, but the most affecting film in a long long time. and not just because it's about 9/11 (because World Trade Center blew). and also i have to agree that Children of Men should have been nominated as well (and should have won for cinematography!!! WTF, mate??!?!?!)

Mar 7 - 10:32 PM

highdough

Richard Blascock

I don't see how believing that Scorsese should have won an Oscar years ago for one of his better films is at all detracting from The Departed. What does one have to do with the other? What would have been worse is if the Academy DIDN"T give Scorsese the Academy Award because The Departed wasn't one of his best three films. Do they NOT give him the award simply because of that? How is that fair?

I do agree he should have gotten the Award for Gangs of New York, but he didn't.

Mar 7 - 09:20 PM

Kudos Mooney

Jeremy Mullins

Mar 7 - 10:32 PM

Lizard Brain

Greg Bonnette

[b]Responding to whomever...[/b]
I didn't think "The Departed" was a great film when it came out and still don't believe so when it won Best Picture. Jack's performance is over the top, there are too many scenes wherein cell phones play a bigger part to move along the story than the characters themselves, and the original premise is a little too stock for a serious film. Also, what was Scorcese thinking with those odd, scene cutaways when characters are talking and such? They seemed forced. Anyway, I also wasn't big on "The Prestige" which, considering this is RT, was just loved to death here. I mean, really, a duplicating machine back in the early 1900's? The movie got rediculous with about fifteen minutes left to go, yet plenty of critics and people here thought it was "amazing" etc. Sorry, folks, but you have to stop liking everying which some actors or directors make just because you liked what they've made before. It's called being critical and not being a fanboy.

Mar 8 - 02:40 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office