"Star Trek" Screenwriters Bring Us Up to DateStar Trek" reboot, which is scheduled to hit theaters late next year. So it's good that MTV's movie division sat down to talk with one of the screenwriters for a few minutes.
Lotsa kinda-new info by screenwriter Alex Kurtzman, so let's employ those handy-dandy bullet points.
- He wants the title to be simply this: "Star Trek"
- "Gone Fishin'" screenwriter J.J. Abrams is directing, release date: Christmas 2008
- "There will be more action in this Trek movie than any of the others."
- Rumors that the flick will be an "early days" adventure between Kirk and Spock were neither confirmed nor denied.
- The goal is to bring in Trek-newbies as well as the long-time mega-fans.
- Matt Damon as Kirk, Adrien Brody as Spock, and Gary Sinise as McCoy? Again, no clear answer, although Kurtzman is clearly a big Matt Damon fan.
- Production designer Scott Chambliss and cinematographer Daniel Mindel will (once again) work alongside Abrams, Kurtzman, and co-writer Roberto Orci.
- Longtime "Trek" controllers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga have no connection whatsoever to the new flick.
- Mr. Kurtzman is a lifelong and passionate "Star Trek" geek, which has to make the rest of the fans feel a little bit better.