"Star Trek" Screenwriters Bring Us Up to Date

We've been hearing a lot of gossip, rumors and outright speculation in regards to Paramount's new "Star Trek" reboot, which is scheduled to hit theaters late next year. So it's good that MTV's movie division sat down to talk with one of the screenwriters for a few minutes.

Lotsa kinda-new info by screenwriter Alex Kurtzman, so let's employ those handy-dandy bullet points.
  • He wants the title to be simply this: "Star Trek"
  • "Gone Fishin'" screenwriter J.J. Abrams is directing, release date: Christmas 2008
  • "There will be more action in this Trek movie than any of the others."
  • Rumors that the flick will be an "early days" adventure between Kirk and Spock were neither confirmed nor denied.
  • The goal is to bring in Trek-newbies as well as the long-time mega-fans.
  • Matt Damon as Kirk, Adrien Brody as Spock, and Gary Sinise as McCoy? Again, no clear answer, although Kurtzman is clearly a big Matt Damon fan.
  • Production designer Scott Chambliss and cinematographer Daniel Mindel will (once again) work alongside Abrams, Kurtzman, and co-writer Roberto Orci.
  • Longtime "Trek" controllers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga have no connection whatsoever to the new flick.
  • Mr. Kurtzman is a lifelong and passionate "Star Trek" geek, which has to make the rest of the fans feel a little bit better.
Source: MTV Movies

Comments

privatepilesleftnipple

bobo boboki

What do u think this guy had for lunch?

Mar 9 - 02:18 AM

MC.

mc mc

F-ing Right on!

Mar 9 - 02:53 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

I don't know what your so excited about... Gene Rodenberry is still dead and everything I've read seems to reflect that these guys are making the EXACT same mistakes that sunk Berman and Braga.

Keep in mind that "Enterprise" was an attempt to draw in a wider audiance while appealing to long time fans, as well as an attempt to bring the series back to basics, which is exactly the same thing they are trying to do here, and is destined to fail for exactly the same reasons.

Truthfully Enterprise is a decent show, of course I didn't bother watching it until re-runs started on Sci-Fi and HDNet a couple of months ago, specifically because it was marketed to appeal to the hip young UPN crowd (in other words the same kind of people that watch JJ Abrams shows). I tired to watch it once, and as soon as that awful awful theme song came on I immediately changed the channel... now that I've seen the show, it's much closer to old-school Star trek and TNG than DS9 and Voyager (neither of which I liked much) where, and definately has a much stronger cast that those two shows did.

So my point is this: I believe Enterprise failed, thus ending Brennen and Braga'swho've done a lot of good work with Star Trek, keep in mind Rodenberry has been dead for a LONG time)(this is not to say they haven't done some really bad work as well, get off my nuts) Star Trekcareers, specifically because Enterprise was marketed (in my opinion falsely) as a re-imagining of Star Trek created to appeal to wider audiance while holding onto the exisiting fan base, I.E. exactly the same thing this new movie is trying to do. Enterprise succeeded only in alienating the existing fan base who didn't bother watching it (despite the widely held belief that Trek fans will watch anything Trek no matter what, in this case I think if more had given it a chance more would have actualy liked it) and drawing in exactly ZERO new fans, because people who "aren't into" Star Trek will never be interested in it... ever... no matter what you do to it.

Which has been exactly what I have been and still predict for this movie. I keep checking this damn news stories (if you can call them that, the last 17 have been exactly the same collection of nothing useful) hoping that they'll announce that this god-awful young Kirk and Spock idea will NOT be happening, as well as some evidence that the production team of this movie has something other than contempt for the source material.

For the record, suggesting that movie should be called just "Star Trek" is great way to piss all over Redenberry's grave. Nice touch!

Mar 9 - 05:17 AM

Mar 9 - 06:22 AM

Tombstone Law Dog

Daniel Klein

[b]"younger?"[/b]
According to the 'net--

William Shatner DOB: March '31
Star Trek series aired in '66, making Shatner around 35 years old when it began.
Matt Damon DOB: October '70
Next 'Trek movie: Dec 2008, making Damon at least 37 (if filming now) during the film.

I know all about dramatic license and older actors playing younger, but this is just one more reason the 'early days of Trek' idea doesn't make any sense.
But hey, go crazy. Maybe this will rock. I actually have some faith in J.J. Abrams (MI3 was pretty slick, actually).

Mar 9 - 08:38 AM

SozeStrangelove

Will Potenberg

. . .Is Shatner really that old? That's f-ed up.

Mar 10 - 10:14 AM

Samwise Gamgee

Ryan Sanderson

Gary Sinise is absolutely perfect as McCoy. Don't see Brody as Spock, and could go either way with Damon as Kirk, but overall, I think it'll be alright. Not great mind you, but these prequelesque reimaginings seem to have a way of turning out really well.

Mar 9 - 08:57 AM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

So still no confirmation that the film will be redoing Kirk and Spock!?! Then why have you continually posted daily new bits with nothing else but Kirk and Spock rumors! Seriously this is supposed to be news not rumors, if I want rumors I'll search for them myself.

Mar 9 - 05:59 PM

MC.

mc mc

#676783 SpikesInMySkull on Mar 09 2007, 05:17 AM

Your long post was wrong.

The theme song of Enterprise destroyed it before the show even really started.

Wake up.

Mar 9 - 10:42 PM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

My long post in fact included the sentence:

...I tired to watch it once, and as soon as that awful awful theme song came on I immediately changed the channel...

Which is a completely true story. I would be two years before I would even give the show a fair shot after hearing the theme song for the first time.

So... I'll wake up if you learn to read posts before replying to them, kthnx!

Mar 12 - 06:31 AM

sostra

Sebastian Straub-Wolfskill

[b]The song sucks.[/b]
Much like you I just started to watch the re-runs on sci-fi. I had heard it was a decent show, but the theme song is one of the worst things I've ever heard. I really hope someone got fired for that one!

Mar 13 - 07:11 AM

SozeStrangelove

Will Potenberg

. . .Is Shatner really that old? That's f-ed up.

Mar 10 - 10:14 AM

High School With Money

LEEEROOOOOAAAAHHHH MMMYYAAAANKEEEUUUNNNNSSSS

[i] I keep checking this damn news stories (if you can call them that, the last 17 have been exactly the same collection of nothing useful)[/i]

That, in itself, should be a news article.

[b]NEWSFLASH: The Enterprise-D has been cast in the role of the Enterprise-A![/b]

Mar 10 - 12:06 PM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

My long post in fact included the sentence:

So... I'll wake up if you learn to read posts before replying to them, kthnx!

Mar 12 - 06:31 AM

sostra

Sebastian Straub-Wolfskill

[b]The song sucks.[/b]

Mar 13 - 07:11 AM

MikeOfAllTrades

Mike Jameson

The second bullet point had me in stitches.

Of all the crappy things to credit Abrams as doing. Why not mention Alias, Lost, or hell, even MI3. Anything but Gone Fishin'

Mar 12 - 12:48 PM

sostra

Sebastian Straub-Wolfskill

[b]The song sucks.[/b]

Mar 13 - 07:11 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships