Lucas Spills a Few "Indy 4" Beans

No, nothing as juicy as, say, an actual movie title, but if, like me, you've been salivating over the prospect of a fourth "Indiana Jones" adventure for what feels like twenty years, you might be interested in what producer George Lucas had to say recently.

Let's just break 'em down into bullet points this time around:

1. The first teaser trailer (and an actual title!) will hit the scene some time around ... Thanksgiving. Great.

2. Sean Connery has not yet signed on to reprise his role as Indy's dad, but Mr. Lucas assures us he's "trying."

3. It was director Steven Spielberg who wanted to hire Cate Blanchett for a role in Part 4, a decision that Lucas didn't agree with right away, but he ceded this one to the director. (Too bad Lucas didn't do that when Frank Darabont delivered his screenplay!)

4. "(Indiana Jones is) not running in any of the movies," Lucas says. "He's either on a horse or driving a car or a motorcycle. And he'll play his age in this movie with what's appropriate. The chases are more suspenseful than speedy. Like the rolling ball in the first film ? it's not that he's running that fast, it's that there's a giant ball coming at him. And he will get beat up, which is a tradition for us."

5. Bonus bullet point for the "Star Wars" fans!! Lucas describes the upcoming live-action SW TV series as "bare-bones" and "action-heavy." Neat!

Source: USA Today

Comments

TortillaSoup

Richard Fernandez

they should both take a hint and just stop

Apr 6 - 01:47 AM

needles

Khan Man

Hey moron, here's a hint for you and all the other gossip mongering cynical old gas bags out there who criticizes shit for the sake of criticizing , 'Shut the fuck up!' and look at some pretty pictures in your mother's National Enquirer.

Apr 6 - 03:52 AM

needles

Khan Man

Apr 6 - 03:52 AM

okito

okito m

ha ha ha ha damn straight needles, I think connery should say yes and come back, I can't wait.

Apr 6 - 04:54 AM

pinkincide

jon doe

Damn, needles, who peed in your cheerios? Plenty of valid reasons to leave it as a trilogy. Ford could break a hip, and he's already found the freakin' Holy Grail, for god's sakes. Not to mention this could mark the transition from Indy to a Son-of-Indy as the main star.

OK, think up some good names to call me now and don't forget to tell me to stfu.

Apr 6 - 05:10 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

7Except that as even you know making a "Son-of" movie is a death nell for any franchise and call me crazy, but I think if you and I realize that then probably Steven Spielberg does too. This of course is the man who's worst films most directors would be proud to claim and who has made a career of setting the standards which others have followed for the last 3 decades. As for the Holy Grail thing, was finding the Ark of the Covenant reason to stop after the first one? or did Sean Connery's age hinder the action of the third one?

Preach on Needles!!!

Apr 6 - 06:56 AM

Mattmovies

Matt Grant

The title that is being thrown around is Indiana Jones and the City of Gods, Source: Film Ick

Apr 6 - 06:28 AM

mojodaddy

joe fish

I wish the Star Wars series would be live action......

Apr 6 - 06:37 AM

Stretchy

Andrew Robinson

It is going to be live action... The one he's talking about is the live action one, not the computer-animated continuation of the "Clone Wars" series.

Apr 6 - 12:49 PM

arpeggio191

Carl Myers

this is going to rule! On the other hand, it would be hilarious if he had a walker or had sweet wheelchair jousting matches!

Apr 6 - 06:39 AM

Mikeal420

David Goldman

[b]Lucas is an Idiot[/b]
the fact that he was nervous about hiring Cate Blanchett makes me hope he has absolutly nothing real to do with the making of this film. There is probably no other actress in the world who has more perfect look, presence, stature, and personality for an Indian Jones movie.

Why did Spielberg even include Lucas in the making of this film? Does Lucas own some of rights or something? really, I dont know

Apr 6 - 06:48 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Preach on Needles!!!

Apr 6 - 06:56 AM

WiseGuy

Philip Zamora

I want it to be Thanksgiving already so I can see a damn teaser trailer!

Apr 6 - 07:46 AM

blank blank

bob jones

i agree with mikeal. cate blanchett is prefect. who the hell did he want for the movie instead? a computer generated version of jessica alba? lucas messed up the darth vader casting (twice, if you count the little kid in phantom menace, although i dont blame the kid, i blame lucas). lucas should just stay the hell out of spielberg's way on this entire project.

Apr 6 - 08:07 AM

3263827

Scott Berkey

Okay, let me get this straight. Lucas creates Star Wars. Lucas creates Indiana Jones and talks Spielberg into directing it. And there's rumblings that Coppala stole Appocolypse Now from Lucas. So, the conclusion is that Lucas is a hack who doesn't know anything about movies? Everybody makes their mistakes. I would have walked out of Jurrasic Park if I wasn't seated so far from the aisle. I think Cate Blanchette is awsome (I'm a total sucker for actresses named Kate - with a C or a K) but that doesn't make her right for every role. Sorry about the bad spelling. I've got to get back to my homework and I don't want to bring up the spell checker.

Apr 6 - 12:14 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

i agree with everything you say, except coppola did not steal apocalypse now from lucas. it was an idea being kicked around for many years between lucas and coppola. lucas was supposed to direct it originally, as a faux documentary (more proof for you losers that lucas was ahead of his time in the 70s).

i don't remember why it never materialized, but coppola ended up doing it, while lucas morphed his vietnam story into the early foundations of star wars, according to walter murch or john milius. i don't remember which guy said it.

lucas is brilliant, he's just flawed like everyone else. stop blindly criticizing him because you disagree with how he works.

and i reiterate, as i've said before, that cate blanchett is a perfect choice.

Apr 6 - 12:22 PM

cabezone

First Last

I don't think anyone will disagree that Lucas is great at making awsome looking films, he just can't write for $h!t.

Apr 6 - 12:35 PM

3263827

Scott Berkey

Apr 6 - 12:14 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

and i reiterate, as i've said before, that cate blanchett is a perfect choice.

Apr 6 - 12:22 PM

cabezone

First Last

Apr 6 - 12:35 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

and i reiterate, as i've said before, that cate blanchett is a perfect choice.

Apr 6 - 12:22 PM

cabezone

First Last

Apr 6 - 12:35 PM

cabezone

First Last

Apr 6 - 12:35 PM

Stretchy

Andrew Robinson

Apr 6 - 12:49 PM

Mattmovies

Matt Grant

Maybe Lucas would be better off writing other movies. I felt that structurally, his Star Wars prequels were awesome and surprising. Dialogue and characters were terrible. Little of the charm of Episode 4 or the depth of Episode 5. Also, he did not have the same people working with him. He always had friends do dialogue washes of his screenplays in the 70s, and had great people that he was working with, i.e. Lawrence Kasdan and Irvin Kershner or Spielberg. His best film, in my opinion, was American Graffiti. If he made smaller films, without animation wrapped through them, I think we would see where his talent is.

Yes, his documentary-style was ahead of its time. Though I wish he made work it fit better these days. He could very well be included in one issue I have with contemporary cinema: The best directors are making great comic book movies, but where are the Robert Altmans or other social commentator film makers making statements about world events. Lucas could do this kind of thing very well.

Apr 6 - 01:38 PM

TortillaSoup

Richard Fernandez

you called me a moron for that?

screw you, buddy.

Apr 6 - 06:15 PM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

I grow tired of peoples negative comments towards a film we know nothing about, if you want to diss it when the trailer comes out fine! But until then everyone needs to keep their picky little negative comments to themselves, nobody gives a crap what you think because 99% of everyone else can't wait to see this film, so give it a rest, especially the old geezer comments because "its getting old"!

Apr 6 - 08:13 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I hope Spielberg and Lucas just make the worst movie possible for liike the first half an hour. Maybe include all the "Son of" plot lines and random obvious sheist everybody has been saying they'll do and just have Harrison Ford putter around on stage with a colostamy bag. Then when all the haters have gotten up and walked out in disgust. Cut into the film and say "Are they all gone yet?", kick in the theme music and deliver the most kick ass action adventure movie in years for the real fans.

Apr 7 - 06:10 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast