"Clash" Remake Lands a Titan of a Screenwriter

Even if you know next to nothing about screenwriters, I bet you're a fan of Lawrence Kasdan ... even if you don't know it. The guy's biggest successes include "The Empire Strikes Back," "Return of the Jedi," and "Raiders of the Lost Ark," and now he's returning to adventure genre to pen the "Clash of the Titans" remake.

Adored by a lot more people than you might think, "Clash of the Titans" is an old-fashioned adventure epic that details the heroic travels of Perseus and features a whole bunch of Greek gods and goddesses. Plus it's got flying horses, snake-haired woman, and three-headed dogs. (Pegasus, Medusa, and Cerberus, respectively.) Here's hoping Mr. Kasdan removes Bubo the Owl when he writes his first draft.

No word yet on who'll be directing the new "Titans" for Warner Bros., but they should probably keep Mr. Kasdan on writing detail only. His last directorial effort was "Dreamcatcher," and I've yet to meet one person who likes that movie. To be fair, Mr. Kasdan has written and/or directed a lot more good movies than bad: "Body Heat," "The Big Chill," "Silverado," and "The Accidental Tourist" pretty much speak for themselves.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Comments

Xhrix

David Smith

This should be great!!!!!!

Can't wait to see modernized Medusa and Kraken. I hope they slip Harry Hamlin in for a brief cameo too :P

Apr 18 - 12:50 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I wonder if they'll even do the Kraken again? Since that's really Norse myth. Though Perseus did slay a sea serpent sent by Poseidon if I remember correctly. Also in the original myth it was Bellerophon and not Perseus who tames Pegasus. Perseus had flying shoes like Hermes.

Apr 18 - 06:36 AM

Neonknight

Stephen Seecharan

I don't see why they should remake this. If however, they do remake it, I hope they would stick closer to the original mythology than the first movie did.

Apr 18 - 02:21 AM

vader_of_vjun

Timothy Maddocks

So...many...Laurence Olivier film...remakes.

First Sleuth, then Boys from Brazil...I'm eagerly awaiting the Marathon Man remake...

Apr 18 - 02:28 AM

ChanceySinclair

Dwayne Lachance

Enough with people saying enough with the remakes

Apr 18 - 09:27 AM

GreenBastard

Craig Storey

More remakes! as long as they are good.

Apr 18 - 06:18 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Apr 18 - 06:36 AM

Prosper761

Brian Bara

Finally, a movie whose original is bad enough to warrant a remake. My sister and I have always referred to this movie as "Clash of the Trite Ones." Bubo the owl was a cheap and lazy attempt to create an "R2-D2" type character for this lamest of Ray Harryhausen movies. I'm so glad that a proven screenwriter is taking this on. Maybe we'll actually get a decent movie this time.

Apr 18 - 06:43 AM

LEGENDc

Christopher Haskew

[b]I Can Not Wait[/b]
Clash is my all time favoite, this is a blessing in disguise. Watching 300 and playing Gods of War 2 this is all I could think of, bring it all back giant scorpions, three headed dogs, Medusa, Calabus, Zeus, the three blind witches, that giant flying hawk, Pegasus, and one of the best heroes of all time PERSIUS. Finally a remake to anticipate, and can we bring Flash Gordon back now?

Apr 18 - 08:22 AM

ChanceySinclair

Dwayne Lachance

Enough with people saying enough with the remakes

Apr 18 - 09:27 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

That's a great start, hopefully they get a good director now.

Apr 18 - 09:47 AM

Alexaion

D Krispin

Yeah, Perseus isn't the sort of hero that one might find in, say, the Iliad. He's a folk hero, nearer to Herakles or Theseus, and more of a folk tale than either of those two. He bears magical items and is sent on a quest, and was not raised as a nobleman - hallmarks of folk-tales. Most of the other heroes, in contrast, have nothing magical about them.

Anyway, this would be a neat movie to see remade, and in some ways I hope they keep the 'inaccuracies' in. Yeah, sure it was Bellerophontes who tamed Pegasus, and Pegasus himself sprung from the blood of Medousa (alongside the giant Khrusaor), but it's more fun to keep him. 'Accuracy' is a very fickle thing, and needn't be always considered. Recall that the ancient story tellers were not always consistent. Tell me, say, the names of the seven champions in the Seven Against Thebes; or who was elder, Zeus or Poseidon; or what Agamemnon's home city was. These things vary between authors, and ever character representations might vary within a single author between various works (the disparity of Menelaos' character in the Andromache as opposed to the Helen, for example.) So I have a difficult time calling such things inaccuracies, or wishing them removed, and I know and love my Greek myths more than most.

What they need now is a good monster movie director. Hmmm... PJ does monsters pretty well, and has that whimsical edge. Tim Burton could do it in interesting fashion. Most Greek myth isn't whimsical, but a little more heroic, yet Perseus by the nature I have spoken of would do better being less 'Greek' and more whimsical. Hmmm... I don't know my directors well enough. Maybe someone like James Cameron, but I think he's going to busy for years on Avatar.

However, with this all, I'd say they should still use old-fashioned models and stop-animation. For some reason the suspension of disbelief and the fantasitcal mood is better served by that, rather than our modern CG, whose clean and crisp look seems to conflict a bit.

Apr 18 - 10:17 AM

crudebob

Brendan Sanchez

A worthy choice for a remake of a Ray Harryhausen movie since the studio forced a dumb down of the oiginal.

Apr 18 - 11:24 AM

needles

Khan Man

I agree. Harryhausen hated that mechanical owl the studio insisted on. He said it remided him of that moroinc Daggit in the Buck Rodgers television series.

Apr 18 - 11:39 AM

hilohawaiian69

David Elia

[b]i have to say...[/b]
i actually liked the original and i think it's rather entertaining for the cheese-fest that it is. I am also looking forward to the remake with all this new techonology in special effects it could look awesome.

P.S. I actually thougth Dreamcatcher was alright.

Apr 18 - 12:38 PM

cabezone

First Last

If Dreamcatcher is the movie with ass weasels, I thought it was decent.

Apr 18 - 09:57 PM

dracus

Cap Nord

Talk about the perfect movie genre for George Lucas.

Apr 18 - 11:31 AM

PunkJr

Jason Burrows

For fuck's sake... why do we have to keep remaking classics??

Apr 18 - 11:32 AM

okuonuora

Bruce Leroy

Um, maybe cuz the first one was MADE OF CLAY?!? Now they can use crappy computer graphics instead of crappy claymation.

Apr 18 - 01:24 PM

needles

Khan Man

Apr 18 - 11:39 AM

hilohawaiian69

David Elia

[b]i have to say...[/b]

P.S. I actually thougth Dreamcatcher was alright.

Apr 18 - 12:38 PM

cabezone

First Last

If Dreamcatcher is the movie with ass weasels, I thought it was decent.

Apr 18 - 09:57 PM

hilohawaiian69

David Elia

[b]i have to say...[/b]

P.S. I actually thougth Dreamcatcher was alright.

Apr 18 - 12:38 PM

cabezone

First Last

If Dreamcatcher is the movie with ass weasels, I thought it was decent.

Apr 18 - 09:57 PM

okuonuora

Bruce Leroy

Apr 18 - 01:24 PM

FireflyFan4evr

Steven Johnson

Well being that this could be considered more of another version of the myth, it does not necessarily have to be considered a remake. I liked the original alright, but a remake wouldn't hurt either.

Apr 18 - 09:46 PM

cabezone

First Last

If Dreamcatcher is the movie with ass weasels, I thought it was decent.

Apr 18 - 09:57 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships