Craven to Produce "People Under the Stairs" Remake

Under his new deal with Rogue Pictures, Wes Craven is going to continue producing remakes of his own movies like "The Hills Have Eyes" and "Last House on the Left." Though IMDB is listing a "Shocker" remake, Craven thinks another early '90s horror remake will come first.

"The two films we did with Universal way back there, 'Shocker' and 'The People Under the Stairs,' are natural because Rogue Pictures is part of [Universal,]" said Craven. "I think the one more likely to be done after we do 'Last House' would be 'People Under the Stairs.' And I'm not sure why but we've found a couple of directors who really want to remake that. That would be more likely. But there's a limited amount of us. Marianne Maddalena's producing all these and we don't want to kill her so we'll probably do one and a quarter a year, one 1/3 a year."

The original featured a thieving teenager running around the house of horrors of an inbred couple who kidnapped children to make their perfect nuclear family. Full of social commentary about the time, a new "People" would have to be updated.

"The funny thing is we're back into another Bush era. There was more in that era of Bush Sr. of the haves and the have nots way down at the bottom and cutting social services and stuff. This Bush is so obsessed with the war that it's not quite the same template but we've had a couple directors give some interesting ideas so we'll see."

Comments

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Enough with the fuckin' horror remakes!

Apr 21 - 12:56 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I was just saying to Wes the other day, "You know what you haven't done in a while?...A horror movie."

"Yeah, and just to be different from everybody else, let's make it a re-make of something else that's already been done, yeah I hear people really respect you as a film maker when you do that"

"What? You want to re-make something YOU already made...THAT's brilliant!!!! Cause if you didn't get it right the first time that's a surefire guarantee you're gonna make it better this time, just look at Star Wars"

Apr 21 - 04:50 PM

Cicatriz

Kyle Pettingill

the original is awesome, shouldn't bother with a remake.

I did like the hills have eyes remake though, the original was boring.

Apr 21 - 05:17 PM

gemini0577

Ricky Rodriguez

I agree... the old "People Under the Stairs" was great... and it was a decent blend of dark humor and thrills with chills. I see absolutely no point to remake this film. Wes Craven may heave onece been the King of horror films (though now, I'm starting to think it was self-titled) but of late he has proved to be more inclined to put out trash. Cursed? The Hills Have Eyes 2? Garbage. Red eye was ok, but unorigonal. He has lost his edge and has nothing better to do then butcher his own classics. (Though Last House on the Left was junk too... so... there is a chance he is more of a fluke...)

Apr 21 - 05:53 PM

gemini0577

Ricky Rodriguez

Apr 21 - 05:53 PM

pmart456

Patrick Martin

red eye had a pretty decent screenplay. . .not written by craven haha

Apr 21 - 10:29 PM

THE MANWHORE

Corey Mills

Umm this movie was only made in the 90's for f*ck sake! It's not even old enough yet 2 even warrant a remake, c'mon! I haven't had a real problem with some of the remakes from the 70's & early 80's, but remaking films from the 90's is just RIDICULOUS 2 me, it's just not that long ago, jeez!

Apr 21 - 11:37 PM

GreenBastard

Craig Storey

Sounds good. They should set the new, 'The People Under the Stairs,' at the Bush ranch. That would be sweet!

Apr 21 - 11:38 PM

tycox

Tyler C

[b]REMAKING LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT???[/b]
That is almost as sad as hearing there is a Cannibal Holocaust remake in the works! You know you need to retire when all you can do is your own remakes! GOOD BYE MR. CRAVEN!!! YOUR CAREER IS OVER!!!!

Apr 22 - 07:37 AM

narcissusbleh

Christian Diaz

Yeah, Craven's always been overrated, IMO. Same with Stephen King.

Still, Nightmare on Elm Street kicks ass. Red Eye was pretty fun too.

Apr 22 - 10:42 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Have to say I like Stephen King, but yeah. Wes Craven really needs to come out with different movies. Yeah, Red Eye was great, and NOES was fun, but he's made a lot of crap over the years.

Apr 22 - 10:44 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Have to disagree with you on the King bit. I actually think when people look back on our generation a hundred years from now King will be one of the people who defines it. Given some of his mass market horror stories haven't been great, but a lot of his work is pure genius (The Stand, Salem's Lot, The first 4 Dark Tower Books...All Classics), but you're right Craven is well past his best and really needs to try something new if he wants to regain some of his rep.

Apr 22 - 12:55 PM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Apr 22 - 10:44 AM

RottenMoreno

Luis F. Moreno

People Under the Stairs was fine, but there's no reason why it should get a remake, it will probably turn out awful, but we'll see... it will depend on the director chosen for the job.

Apr 22 - 10:51 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Apr 22 - 12:55 PM

supafly006

Fulton Singleton

[b]Big Brother is a Dumb Ass[/b]
Hey big brother they didn't remake Star Wars Dumb Ass. They completed the whole story and I thought it was great. All you idiots that bash Star Wars are morons.

Apr 22 - 04:38 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Listen Dick, if your gonna be an asshole about something at least bother to do your research. I'm one of the staunchest defenders of Lucas and the SW's saga on this site. Yes, they didn't remake the original SW's, but they did try to recapture the earlier magic of many of the same characters 30 years afterward and even though I don't think the prequals are terrible movies and really enjoyed certain elements of them any real fan will tell you they pale in comparison with the originals.

Apr 23 - 12:28 AM

tycox

Tyler C

[b]RED EYE SUCKED!!![/b]
I couldn't believe I wasted that much time of my life watching that shitty movie...then again I did sit through all of the Di Vinci Code and that sucked major donkey balls!!!

Apr 22 - 07:20 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Apr 23 - 12:28 AM

WeaponAndy

Andy Nix

While he's at it, why not remake the entire Nightmare on Elm Street collection. Or how about The Serpent and the Rainbow? It's inevitable that Hollywood will just keep putting out remakes. Oh well I guess. I just won't go to the theater and see them or what not. Not that that makes much of a difference, but if other people follow suit it's possible something might happen and they'll pause for a few seconds and then continue on making remakes. Damn Hollywood and their non caring money making off of stupid teens who will pay money for fricking anything.

Apr 23 - 08:02 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus