Test Screening "Reviews" for "Invasion" & "Pirates 3"

We've got some more early word on how Nicole Kidman's "Invasion" is a mess -- plus the first test screening / junket reviews of "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."

Both reports come from the same source, but we'll start with "Invasion." From two early reactions we've got feedback like this:

"There is absolutely no suspense, no thrills, no nothing for any movie goer looking for such ... This film was a monumental let down. Avoid at all costs."

And the second guy?

"As it stands now, the only use this version has is a textbook example as to how badly studio interference can ruin a film."

That "interference" includes booting the original director (Oliver Hirschbiegel) and semi-starting from scratch with James McTeigue and the Wachowski brothers -- among numerous other headaches.

Yikes. Unkind word from the early viewers indeed. But you clicked in to get the early word on "Pirates 3," right? I had to scan through randomly to find a few pullable quotes, but here's something:

"It could?ve stood to lose 30 minutes or so, but for the most part, it was enjoyable. It doesn?t stand up to the first but it surpasses the second."

Boom, short and sweet. Ah, but there's a second scooper:

"I wont give too much away, except to say --- its much darker and really lacks the humor found in the first two."

So there you go. Two early Pirate-watchers kinda liked it. Does that have any bearing on whether or not you'll see it?

Source: AICN

Comments

ChezM

Chez McGrath

Hmm. I've got my fingers crossed that the writers have dumped some of the slapstick and lame humor of Dead Man's Chest -- which was awful. But I'm not entirely sure if I prefer "dark, very, very dark" instead.

And if World's End is being toted as a sequel to Dead Man's Chest, rather than the culmination of a trilogy starting with Curse of the Black Pearl... then I'm thinking I'll be as disappointed with this movie as the second.

Oh, whatever happened to the straightforward-plot, subtle-humor fun of the original?

May 17 - 01:22 AM

silverfish05

Charles Bartlett

I just recently saw a TV spot and they are definitely not marketing it as a sequel to DMC. In between movie shots, Every Secret...Will Be Revealed. It looks to cap off the trilogy and bring everything to a close.

May 17 - 05:45 PM

jeremyd4

jeremy d

Well I'm definitely pumped for this movie now. I like my movies long, complicated and even "dark" - so I say bring it on already!!!

May 17 - 03:32 AM

jeremyd4

jeremy d

oh, and i happen to like the Matrix sequels too, so I'm not at all concerned about the parallels that 1st reviewer at AICN made.

May 17 - 03:34 AM

WorldDude

Andrew Passafiume

Pfft...I thought Dead Man's Chest was much better than the original film, and the third looks to surpass both of them.

May 17 - 03:42 AM

mbrocchi

Marcello Brocchi

What drugs are you on Worldude? Pirates II couldnt possibly have been any worse and definitely was one of the all time worst sequel fuckups..

If the filmakers learned any lessons from that shithouse movie and make something completely different, it will have to turn out better. No matter what they do!

May 17 - 06:47 AM

Warheart1188

Tim Higginbotham

What was so bad about number 2? I thought it worked as a 'sequel'. I use sequel lightly because PoTC 1 didn't set up for a sequel but somehow they did and it worked. The plot was intriguing, the action was fun, the humor was there and Hans Zimmers tremendous score took the film to an entire other level. I don't get why people didn't at least 'like' it. It's just like the Matrix sequels, nobody lliked but I thought, as films, they were great(mainly because I understood them and being the only one amongst my peers). mbrocchi, just because you didn't like it doesn't mean it was bad.

May 17 - 03:36 PM

mbrocchi

Marcello Brocchi

May 17 - 06:47 AM

Warheart1188

Tim Higginbotham

May 17 - 03:36 PM

dracus

Cap Nord

I still love the first Pirates, but I yawned my way through Dead Man's Chest (which was bad considerring I was strung out on coffee at the time). Hearing that number three is better than Dead Man's Chest now has me thinking about going to see it.

May 17 - 07:25 AM

stevegilpin

Steven Gilpin

Though I'm not a huge fan of the Pirates movies, I did think that both installments thus far were pretty good, and I had a lot of fun seeing the second one in the theater. As far as sequels go, I think they did a pretty good job. I just think it might have been too long.
I also agree with jeremyd4 in that the Matrix sequels were great. I think they are largely misunderstand and underappreciated by critics and fans alike. However, the Invasion might just have been a disaster that even the brilliant Wachowski Brothers could not save.....

May 17 - 08:03 AM

stopsaenz

steve saenz

I was "Meh" about the first pirates movie, but it was DMC that got me into the series. Its more about Gore Verbinski and Depp then anything, but to me the movies are just fun to watch. The Matrix on the other hand... most frustrating moments of my life. Little indian girl? nuff said.

May 17 - 08:50 AM

stevegilpin

Steven Gilpin

Do you have a problem with young Indian actresses or did you not like her performance? Your comment is unclear.
Also, if the Matrix movies were the most frustrating moments in your life, then maybe you place more value on them than you care to admit. Again, your comment was confusing to me.

May 17 - 12:31 PM

stopsaenz

steve saenz

I had a problem with the whole idea of why she was even there, taking up screen time, I wanted to see an epic end to an over all great series of movies... instead I felt ripped off, keep the ten bucks I spent to see the movie, I wanted the time I invested in the characters back.

May 17 - 01:19 PM

EmmG389

First Last

[b]Read the EW article[/b]
This movie is going to suck just as much as the second one, maybe more. If you want to know how they went into this film after the second one, they planned on making this one even more complicated and long. They didn't take into effect any of the criticisms of the second one. Orlando Bloom refers to his last movie as a "product". Gore Verbinski expects the reviews to be the same or worse this time as does Johnny Depp, but who cares, they're only critics? I thought many of my criticisms were valid: bad acting(anyone who wasn't named Johnny Depp or Bill Nighy), boring story, too much action and special effects, and crappy characters. But then again this movie is clearly marketed to little kids, kids will see anything with ships being blown up.

May 17 - 08:52 AM

EmmG389

First Last

Wachowski brother and sister, retard. And they really aren't that brilliant.

May 17 - 08:54 AM

stevegilpin

Steven Gilpin

I was just expressing my opinion about the post. I really don't appreciate being called a retard, but since I have a high enough opinion of myself, I won't take your comment to heart.
If you are going to use the Rotten Tomatoes post replies as a forum to vent your frustration and to write mean things to other people, you might want to consider going to alternate websites. This is a site for people to write and discuss movies, and while opinions must enter into the equation, I think it should be done in a mature fashion.

May 17 - 12:25 PM

ninjaandy

Andrew O'Neill

See mbrocchi, there's this thing called hyperbole, and it's generally bad to use when you're trying to express an opinion about a movie. It makes you sound like an ass, or a 13 year old.

Hyperbole. If you don't know what it is, look it up. If you do know what it is, then stop using it incorrectly.

May 17 - 09:53 AM

mbrocchi

Marcello Brocchi

Dear Mr NinjaAndy.. You could of just said you thought I was exaggerating instead of Hyperbol-ing. Would of saved a lot of people the few minutes it took to look it up in Wikipedia ;)

I was going to leave this post there but I have to add... Anyone who thought POTC 2 was a good movie are the ones that see a flick every 6 years or so. I see about four films a week. The week I saw POTC2 I wished I had only seen three.

May 18 - 12:27 AM

hammer_leafsfan

Matt Hamilton

dead man's chest was pretty average. It's like the filmmakers said "Look how much special effects and mayhem we can cram into a movie" and totally lacked the fun of the first one. I hope this one is better but doesn't look like it from the trailers.

On the other hand, I've been waiting for Transformers to suck and the last trailer made it look pretty damn cool. Of course, the trailer for Pearl Harbour made that look cool so well see.

May 17 - 10:55 AM

stevegilpin

Steven Gilpin

May 17 - 12:25 PM

stevegilpin

Steven Gilpin

May 17 - 12:31 PM

stopsaenz

steve saenz

May 17 - 01:19 PM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Am I the only one worried about Invasion? Of course critics are going to feel mixed POTC; when you come out with a movie that gets excellent reviews and not-so-greatly reviewed sequel, a second sequel, more likely then not, isn't going to get great reviews either. I just thought Invasion would get excellent reviews and I was excited for it, but these first 2 reviews don't sound to good.

May 17 - 12:42 PM

bribios

brian wilson

I'm going to take a wild stab here. If you liked DMC, you'll end up liking this one. If you were very disappointed with it (like I was), you probably won't like this one. I personally LOVED the first one when it came out, and even though the second got mediocre reviews I was still excited to see it (just like with Spiderman 3). After I saw it, I felt like the movie was disloyal to the characters in the previous movie, and walked out not really caring if they ever make another sequel (once again, Spiderman 3). I'm on the fence about whether I'll bother to see POTC 3 or not. People keep telling me that it's going to be better than 2 (or that 2 was actually awesome and I'm just an idiot), but I'll wait for the opinions of people who wouldn't felate Jack Sparrow before I decide whether I want to spend my precious few dollars on it or not.

May 17 - 01:00 PM

Zenexo

Elias Colon

i hated the second POTC...but the third one looks action packed...i like

May 17 - 01:05 PM

stopsaenz

steve saenz

May 17 - 01:19 PM

Neclord

Neclord Sword

Never heard of Invasion...looking forward to AWE, though.

May 17 - 01:36 PM

bt1091

Bret Thompson

I don't know what the big deal is, some of ya'll think a little too much, can't someone like DMC w/out being on drugs?? Lighten up people, it wasn't that bad. And further, Dead Mans Chest was leaps and bounds better than COTBP. Although they're both awesome movies. If this is only half as good as DMC, then I'm in for a good time.

May 17 - 01:37 PM

MadmanCody

Cody Keller

i was high at pirates 2....drugs don't help that movie suck less

May 17 - 04:31 PM

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank